What's your favorite synthesis method--

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

What's your favorite synthesis method--

Post by briandc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:38 pm

--and why?
(give an audio demo if possible)

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: What's your favorite synthesis method--

Post by Zamise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Taking the first default sound that the synth comes on with, like bank A program 1, and modifying it to sound like a distorted tb-303. Why? Because it is the first thing it comes on to, why waste more energy pushing a few more buttons or scrolling more knobs? I suppose this method would probably considered really lazy, but I like to think of it as being extremely efficient.
Last edited by Zamise on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

briandc

Post by briandc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Well, what I mean by "synthesis method" is FM, subtractive, additive, etc..

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Ahhh OK. I'm going to say then PCM based additive (because it usually has more polyphony than most the other methods) with a complex subtractive engine behind it and a decent control surface. Vintage rompling will be the new thing I tell you, it never went out of fashion with me.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 pm

FM

See signature
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Subtractive...although I find the term misleading. 2 sines into a ring mod is a fairly basic component of "subtractive synthesis" but it's not subtractive. Neither is analog FM. In fact, a saw into a resonant filter isn't necessarily entirely subtractive either as the resonance adds harmonics.

Why? I like those sounds the most. It's potentially less rich a palette compared to other forms of synthesis but there are so many options even with the limitations.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Anything with dynamic filtering (well, with "dynamic" being more complex than just "LFO-to-FilterFrequency" or "keytracking"). Count in E-mu's Z-planes, Hartmann Neuron, K5000 and similar, VirSyn's engines where you literally draw your filter curves, Variphrase and similar vocoding... Kyma's morphing maybe also belongs there.

UPD: I guess all of that goes under the "spectral morphing" nickname.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:15 pm

I only use subtractive and a tiny little bit of fm. Subtractive is the easiest for me to hear a sound in my head and get a pretty close patch quickly. FM not so much... I get the theory of operators / etc but the smallest change in a patch can take you from musical to demolishing very quickly, and i just dont like that.

as an aside: what type of synthesis would a device like this utilize? (where you input a formula) I love the sound of this vi in the caustic app and would like to explore the methods but don't know where to start...

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Zamise wrote:Taking the first default sound that the synth comes on with, like bank A program 1, and modifying it to sound like a distorted tb-303. Why? Because it is the first thing it comes on to, why waste more energy pushing a few more buttons or scrolling more knobs? I suppose this method would probably considered really lazy, but I like to think of it as being extremely efficient.
PCM based additive with a rompler? This is new to me. Could you give an example?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Solyaris wrote:
Zamise wrote:Taking the first default sound that the synth comes on with, like bank A program 1, and modifying it to sound like a distorted tb-303. Why? Because it is the first thing it comes on to, why waste more energy pushing a few more buttons or scrolling more knobs? I suppose this method would probably considered really lazy, but I like to think of it as being extremely efficient.
PCM based additive with a rompler? This is new to me. Could you give an example?
PCM additive meaning the waveforms are played as sound source to a subtractive engine, usually pretty common but I suppose it is the amount of control to me that makes the difference in the subtractive part. My long time favorite is the Yamaha RS7000. It seems pretty rudimentary on the surface as far as synthesizing sounds go, but you also have immediacy of knoby control surface, plus after the subtractive part (filters, lfos, envelops etc.) you can then layer the parts with a trick or two which could be considered additive again after the additive and subtractive. So it is an additive subtractive additive, then effects can be both additive and subtractive after that so than your talking about being an additive subtractive additive additive and subtractive synthesis method. Then... oh never mind. I've also been getting in to the Yamaha CS6X/CS6R engine lately, which is kind of the same principle but sounds freaking amazing, less controls tho unless you have it hooked midied up to an RS7000 then you could say it has more controls, but anyhow check those two synths out. They ain't your mama's and dada's romplers.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Fri May 01, 2015 4:56 am

Subtractive for the most part, although I'm getting more and more into FM and find it far more interesting.

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Fri May 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Phy-mod for the high level of realtime control.
Analog subtractive for ease of programming.
Sample playback for emulative realism, but only when multi-dimensional with heavy scripting.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri May 01, 2015 3:52 pm

I know it's just a form of analog synthesis, but using a modular is by far my favorite. With a traditional synth, you get locked into a programming routine and the board sort of takes you where you down a set path, where as using a modular feels so free and limitless. I stare at a blank modular and see possibilities. I know what I have to do, but there are a million different ways to accomplish it, all of which can result in drastic (and often inspiring) sonic variations. When I stare at my Nord Lead 2x, Yamaha AN1x, Roland JX8P, Korg MS20, and so on, I see a routine that I get locked into. Lovely synths in their own right, but they do feel very restrictive when compared to the total freedom my modular offers me.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

FM, and Transwave. Make this a poll perhaps, if it lets you.

briandc

Post by briandc » Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:FM, and Transwave. Make this a poll perhaps, if it lets you.
Good idea, I'll do it! :)

Which ones should be included?

- Subtractive, modular, additive, FM, Phase Distortion, Wavetable, Granular, physical modeling, cellular automaton...

brian
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud