Best Digital Synth to Compliment Analog Setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
priima

Best Digital Synth to Compliment Analog Setup

Post by priima » Sat May 09, 2015 11:30 pm

(first post). Hey guys/girls. My current synth lineup consists of a Roland Juno-106 and a Novation BassStation II. One poly analog and one mono analog. Im looking for an affordable digital synth, possibly vintage, to compliment these two. I'm attracted to early digital and hybrid keyboards (such as the Casio CZ series). I'm not necessarily looking for modern sounds, though good orchestral sounds turn me on. I love 80s sounds as well as cheesy new-age sounds; i.e: Enya. I don't have a specific budget but i'm looking for something under 700 (u.s dollar).

(Please help me I am young and innocent) :ugeek:

Thanks///////$$$
<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Re: Best Digital Synth to Compliment Analog Setup

Post by Mac Moog » Sun May 10, 2015 5:40 am

I like pairing my analogs with a Yamaha An1x and a Fizmo as driven by a Kurz PC3k8. I have also used a Roland Fantom, and/or Nords, as needed. All have some extraordinary sounds, once you work with them a bit.

Oh, and I don't know why, but I really like the pads I get from driving a couple of MicroKorgs from a Ensoniq VFX. Something about the touch of the keyboard and the resonating sound from the MicroKorg pair just sound wonderful.

philip

Post by philip » Sun May 10, 2015 6:19 am

If u like 80s, go for dx 7, or d50

priima

Post by priima » Sun May 10, 2015 1:50 pm

I've looked in to the D50 before. How are the string sounds? (not to be confused with "how realistic are the string sounds?"). From the few demos ive seen of the DX7, it had a much more synthy sound than the D50. Is the DX7 not sample based to any degree? *maybe* I will obtain both one day.

As for the microkorg thing, my first synth (sold long ago) was a Korg R3. At the time it seemed like every preset sounded like it was designed for cheezy mid-2000s trance demos. (I didnt know much about synthesis at the time, so I stuck to presets). How does the MicroKorg engine kompare? As over-common as they are, they are pretty good-looking (especially that reverse key edition which I never see for sale). What about the MS-2000? Isn't that an MK with all controls up front?

Rbh
Gear: Kurz-MidiBoard/ K2000R/Ax module -Roland JV1080 -Arp PRO DGX- Moog Taurus I - Oberheim TVS - Wavestation - QS8.1 - TX7-R8M-Hammond X5 w/ 760 Leslie-

Post by Rbh » Mon May 11, 2015 3:36 am

I'd recommend a Roland JV-1080 or 2080 rack mount. They cover the D-50 and other 90's digital quite well, and can be pretty convincing with orchestral / new agey synth acoustic emu sounds. They're dirt cheap too. You can typically get them for less than 200.00 . A couple of add-on cards can cost more than the base synth.

priima

Post by priima » Mon May 11, 2015 3:45 am

Rbh wrote:I'd recommend a Roland JV-1080 or 2080 rack mount...
This looks interesting. Is there a keyboard version? I know there were lots of Roland "JV"s but I wouldn't know which one would match with this. Was it the XP-30? : http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp30.php

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon May 11, 2015 12:26 pm

priima wrote:Is the DX7 not sample based to any degree?
Nope. No samples whatsoever in that synth.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

priima

Post by priima » Mon May 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I've recently been looking more in to the DX7 as well as the DX7S & DX7IID. Do those updated versions have the same (amazing) keybed? I've felt the keybed of a broken DX7 in a nearby music store. Is there actually a "charm" from the noise on the original DX7? I have also heard that the D50 has a good-feeling keybed as well.

I'll always be able to eventually obtain multiple digital synths over time. As of now i'm figuring out which one would be best to start out with.

After listening to demos of the Roland XP-30, i'm surprised that it seems to sound even better than Roland's newer Juno series. It even includes multiple JV expansion packs built in!

ppg_wavecomputer
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon May 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Prophet VS, Korg Wavestation, and PPG Wave.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

priima

Post by priima » Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 pm

As attracted to the Prophet VS as I am, it is way outside my budget. As for the Wavestation, I do have a VST emulation, which I assume is probably very close to the real thing. Maybe not?

~ ~ ~ completely aside from the fact that i'm a university student with a smaller budget, I can't imagine myself being one to support the idea of paying much more than 1000 dollars on music gear. It is immoral in mine eyes... :roll:

ppg_wavecomputer
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon May 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Waldorf Micro Wave (1) and/or Blofeld perhaps?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Mon May 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Waldorf Blojob, EMU Morpheus, DX-7 mk1, TG77, Technics wsa1r

priima

Post by priima » Mon May 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Many interesting suggestions though i'm not looking for any rack units. I've played with a Blofeld before and i'm really not in to the interface or sound, and its a little over what I want to spend anywaii~

The Yamaha AN1X does seem like a pretty cool synth. I'll have to look in to it again.

Anyone used an Akai AX73? I own the MIDI keyboard version of it, but id rather have the synth version. (its fvcking heavy...)
Last edited by priima on Mon May 11, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 pm

I don't see where the AN-1X fits here, it's a physical modelling synth that emulates analogue synths like the P5 hardly a contrast to your other analogues.

As for the AX73, that's errr analogue

priima

Post by priima » Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:I don't see where the AN-1X fits here, it's a physical modelling synth that emulates analogue synths like the P5 hardly a contrast to your other analogues
you are absolutely correct. had kinda forgotten the original reason I created this thread.