Gary Numan drum machine on "The Fury"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Benetton93

Gary Numan drum machine on "The Fury"

Post by Benetton93 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 am

Hi there.
It's no secret about synthesizers that Gary widely used PPG Wave w/Waveterm (and probably Roland JX8-P) in this very album. But i (for some reason) liked drums sounds here (and especially snare sound). And i'm interested what drum machine could it be (because AFAIK there was no real drums in this album). I'm quite sure that it's definitely not LinnDrum (i know Gary used it), and i'm not sure if it was courtesy of Waveterm or something... So, any ideas or guesses?
Thanks in advance. ;)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Gary Numan drum machine on "The Fury"

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 am

My guess would be Linn LM-1. This one sounds nowhere like the LinnDrum (which is no LM-2 either, by the way). Other drum machines that Numan used were Roland CR-78 and -- perhaps -- TR-808.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 pm

I recall reading an interview where Numan said during this period of time he'd sample processed drums, then process them again, then sample them again, etc.

I'm guessing that monster snare sound on The Fury is some combination of a sampled drum hit and lots of processing, then re-sampled and triggered.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

VCO8

Post by VCO8 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:My guess would be Linn LM-1.
He only used the LM-1 from Dance to Warriors. He also used the CR-78 on earlier albums (Telekon and Dance), but the sounds used on The Fury are either from a sampler, alternate drum machine eproms (from a Linn 9000 possibly), or what Jinsai said.

Benetton93

Post by Benetton93 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Jinsai wrote: I'm guessing that monster snare sound on The Fury is some combination of a sampled drum hit and lots of processing, then re-sampled and triggered.
Sounds very believable to me, 'cause i just can't remember any drum machine with such a sound. :D