OMD equipment during "Junk Culture" and "Crush" times

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Benetton93

OMD equipment during "Junk Culture" and "Crush" times

Post by Benetton93 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello again, i'm with another "what is synths used" question, this time about "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark". I remember there was couple of questions on this site about their equipment during early times (i think till "Dazzle Ships"), but i also interested, what kind of synths they're used during 1984-1986 period.
All things i know is that they're used Fairlight computer on "Junk Culture", probably with some other stuff that they used before...

Thanks in advance.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: OMD equipment during "Junk Culture" and "Crush" times

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat May 30, 2015 3:43 pm

[/bbvideo]

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat May 30, 2015 4:48 pm

On 'Junk Culture', they used a Fairlight CMI, a Roland Jupiter 8, a SCI Prophet 5 and an Emulator, mostly. There was also a Korg Micro-Preset and a Roland SH-2 plus a celeste and acoustic piano according to the CD's liner notes.

'Crush', I think, used pretty much the same equipment plus a DX7. Malcolm Holmes can be seen in the video using a Drumulator alongside his drum kit. The album sounds different from its predecessor as Stephen Hague wanted it to sound more like a band playing so there are more guitars and acoustic drums and fewer synth lines. Oh, and Paul Humphreys can be seen miming on a Mellotron, which they may or may not have used on 'Women III'.
GC

Benetton93

Post by Benetton93 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:32 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:[/bbvideo]
Wow... never expected that bass on "Bloc Bloc Bloc" was made on CMI. Quite nice video.
gcoudert wrote:On 'Junk Culture', they used a Fairlight CMI, a Roland Jupiter 8, a SCI Prophet 5 and an Emulator, mostly. There was also a Korg Micro-Preset and a Roland SH-2 plus a celeste and acoustic piano according to the CD's liner notes.

'Crush', I think, used pretty much the same equipment plus a DX7. Malcolm Holmes can be seen in the video using a Drumulator alongside his drum kit. The album sounds different from its predecessor as Stephen Hague wanted it to sound more like a band playing so there are more guitars and acoustic drums and fewer synth lines. Oh, and Paul Humphreys can be seen miming on a Mellotron, which they may or may not have used on 'Women III'.
Thanks for details, quite interesting. ;)