Yamaha RX11 - realtime recording in MIDI sync mode

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soul_Processor

Yamaha RX11 - realtime recording in MIDI sync mode

Post by Soul_Processor » Sat May 30, 2015 3:54 pm

hello,

I recently bought a RX 11 for little money and been enjoying it so far, but I have a problem: It won't let me realtime record my patterns while in midi sync mode, which is a bit frustrating because I'd like to use it with a QY 700 as master (and the step record mode is a pain in the a**). the manual isn't really clear about that (and actually pretty shitty in general^^), and I couldn't figure it out yet. there is no logical reason it shouldn't be possible in my opinion...

also, when I connect my MFB-503 with the rx 11 midi out, it will only recieve notes but no midi clock when the yamaha is in sync mode.

anyone? :D

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Yamaha RX11 - realtime recording in MIDI sync mode

Post by Zamise » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Had an RX5, pretty similar I imagine, it sounded pretty decent but no fun at all considering my RS7000 had all of it's drums and much easier to use step sequencer very similar to the QYs. I don't remember being able to record realtime on it either, and I may be remembering wrong, but anyhow your QY700 should have all of its drum sounds too I'd think and be much easier to step and real time record. I understand it might be nice to have the extra drum tracks if syncing, but for me 1000x easier to save a little longer and got another RS7000 for the extra tracks when needed, heck I'd buy another cheap old QY70 and use it instead of an RX ever again, but I suppose I can see the appeal if you must really want towork with an answering machine, door stop wedge from the 80s. Sorry I couldn't be more help, hope you can get it figured out or someone else can let you know what is wrong with it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm

hey,

well the qy700 doesn't sound as punchy and crunchy imo :D

maybe I'll just trigger from the QY sequencer

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

I know what mean, they do have a pretty nice crisp yet dirty sound to them for some reason. RS7000 kind of has the same problem with always being a little muddy and less punch to it, I think something to do with combining or summing a lot of tracks to a single L&R or stereo headphone output. It sounds better when the drums are by themselves. Does the QY700 have an aieb expansion? I'm just curious, it might help that out but probably twice as much as the unit if it doesn't already have one in it. Also, does the QY700 have a master EQ or track EQ types? If so, Low&High is the deal dude, boost them toward mids. RS has some Q thing on master EQs too, it acts or sort of sounds like it muddys things up, I drop it down as low as it goes, defualt was up a bit, if the 700 has any of that too it might help to know and try.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Sonus

Post by Sonus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 am

Hello,

RX7 'Real Time Write' in midi sync mode works perfectly.

RX11 basic setup, Aftertouch Magazine November 1985:

Then select a clear pattern - any pattern above 36 ...
Last edited by Sonus on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:53 pm

mhh that didn't really help...

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 pm

hmmm i was able to realtime record on my RX5 from a midi keyboard. not sure if the RX11 is set up the same, but each drum is on a different midi channel so you can play the drums chromatically. i dont have the RX anymore so i cant tell you the exact steps, but hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

i think it was something like go into the midi menu, the you had to select the sound you wanted to edit. sorry i cant give you more info...best of luck! i like the RX drums, they can get pretty weird when you start repitching them and tweaking the envelopes
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:19 pm

well the thing is, when in midi sync mode, pushing the realtime record button does nothing. I still don't understand why^^

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:30 pm

c**p...this is sounding familiar and i can remember what the solution was.... :banghead:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Dammit, it's a while since I sold my RX11 and can't recall, but do you have to 'prime' it by putting it into record, then hitting play on your clock source?

I quite liked the RX11 in some ways, particularly the combo of MIDI and triggers, and the individual outputs are always welcome. I found the sounds to lack a bit of bite though. Ended up sampling it instead, because nothing says 80s drums like pitch-shifting a lo-fi sample :)

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:52 pm

^ well yeah, if you want to record a pattern, you have to get into realtime record mode and then hit start or play on your clock master device. but alas, when I have the machine in midi sync mode, pushing the realtime button does nothing at all, step mode works though. I spent some time yesterday but still couldn't figure it out... :/

kalbkalb

Post by kalbkalb » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Did someone solve this issue? Having the same problem, RX11 doesnt record when in midi sync...
Driving me crazy! Anyone has a solution?