JV80 - PCM vs expansion cards

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hexameter

JV80 - PCM vs expansion cards

Post by Hexameter » Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Just bought a JV880, has the Pop card installed. Most of what I've seen on ebay in the way of cards are the SR-JV80-xxx cards, but I found a SO-PCM1-02 Guitar & Brass Sound Card. If I understand correctly, these are raw waveforms, not complete assembled patches?

I'm mostly looking for some good as I can get on a JV880 budget sounds for trombone, trumpet, tenor and bari sax for writing parts. What should I be looking for in terms of expansion cards? What's the difference in the internal card slots and the external? I know that one external can take PCM and the other other data - but what about the internal SR-JV80 cards vs the external PCM? Does the SO-PCM1-02 get me anything not found on the SR-JV80 cards?

urgetoplay

Re: JV80 - PCM vs expansion cards

Post by urgetoplay » Sat May 30, 2015 11:17 pm

This series of 1 and 2 Mbyte cards for the JV-80, JV-880, JV-90, JV-1000,
JD-800, JD-990 and JV-1080 consists of incredibly high-quality sounds that take
advantage of these instruments' powerful capabilities. Each card contains patch
data and wave data, so you can instantly get at these great sounds.

The SO-PCM cards that were manufactured are:

SO-PCM1-01 Piano Selections
SO-PCM1-02 Guitar and Brass
SO-PCM1-03 Rock Drums
SO-PCM1-04 Grand Piano
SO-PCM1-05 Accordion
SO-PCM1-06 Baroque
SO-PCM1-07 Orchestral FX*
SO-PCM1-08 County/Folk/Bluegrass*

* 2 Megabyte cards - not compatible with the JD-800.

SO-PCM cards provide waveforms AND patches for all models except the JD-800
(only waveforms).
They were 1 Megabyte cards except fot the last 2. The SR-JV cards were 4-8 Megabytes and there were 21 of these. So, in short the internal expansions are significantly larger. Most of the samples on these are based on a Roland sample CD set. There is a lot of overlap between the SO cards,SR-JV cards,SRX,ARX with each succeeding format building on parts of the previous sets. For example: While there are many entirely new samples in the SRX series, some of them were compilations of 4 SR-J80 cards. Each succeeding format carried more memory. I looked around years ago to see if anyone had mapped out exactly which samples were shared and hit a dead end. The latest Roland offering, the Integra, supposedly has most of the sample data of all previous sets. Hope that helps.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.