Buying under-priced vintage synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: Buying under-priced vintage synths

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm too honest for my own good. Option 4.
GC

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Shoot him an offer of 3-400 each. If he refuses, tell him to donate the excess to his favorite chairaty. If he still insists on $150.00 each, buy them and donate the extra to YOUR favorite charity. If you buy them for $150 then sell for more, donate 10% of youe profit. A bargain is no excuse for being a selfish d**k. Jeez.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 pm

I can't afford a 909 these days so I would take his price and keep it for myself...if I don't take then someone else will get and flip it on eBay...
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

AdamAnt316
Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Post by AdamAnt316 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 pm

For me, the answer would be "It depends." If it was something I knew was a really good deal, and I could easily afford it, then I would likely fork over the asking price. If I figured something was a good deal, but was priced a bit high for my liking, I'd ask the seller if s/he could come down a bit on the price, but if s/he wouldn't, I'd probably give the full amount. I generally prefer that the seller give me his/her price, so I know where to start from, at the very least.

Generally, I don't buy something unless I think I can put it to good use. I don't consider myself a 'flipper'; I will occasionally buy something with the intent of possibly reselling it, but I rarely actually do so (and again, only if I think I can get some use out of it in the meantime). I've been on the receiving end of some screaming deals in the past, but I usually end up thinking that I'd be forever 'kicking myself' if I were to go and sell it. Of course, such thinking has led to space issues around the house... :|
-Adam

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm

It really depends on the circumstances; if this is some guy who clearly who's just clearing out the garage and clearly has the means to check the prices then I have no problem with #2. If it's some parent looking to raise money for funeral arrangements after their son's untimely death, I'd be honest about the price. But yeah, there's really no excuse in this day and age for someone just doing a casual garage/attic sweepout to not check prices. It's so easy that not doing so crosses into general laziness/irresponsibility and I'd highly argue against taking advantage of that making the buyer a "selfish d***."

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:04 am

Smoking_Gnu wrote:But yeah, there's really no excuse in this day and age for someone just doing a casual garage/attic sweepout to not check prices. It's so easy that not doing so crosses into general laziness/irresponsibility and I'd highly argue against taking advantage of that making the buyer a "selfish d***."
I'd add another category besides laziness/irresponsibility, and that would be feeble-mindedness due to old age. I think it's an especially relevant consideration since the seller in this scenario is in his 70s.

My dad and stepmom are elderly and I'm shocked at how mentally slow they've become. It's horrible. My stepmom is in her early 70s (my dad's 10 years older) and she's the only one capable of running their household. She'd be the person that wouldn't check for the going rate online, but that's only because she's barely able to take care of the basics of the household. It's a sad fact that getting online and checking for the going rate is beyond her capabilities. And she used to have a career as a computer programmer.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:06 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Oh give me a break, there is such a thing as a good old fashioned bargain. Again, it is up to the bloody seller to determine the price, not the buyer. If you pay what he asks where is the problem here? Did you steal anything or rob the man? NO.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit, if you think there is then you'd better rethink the structure of the society you live in. Value is only determined by what someone will pay, so if this guy doesn't value this item as much as you then lucky for you. Also if he's too lazy to ask someone or research the going rate, then again, lucky for you. :!:
I'm alright jack!

Screw everybody else!

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:00 am

I'd also be concerned that if you'd offer the guy more money than he's asking, he might realize that it's really much more worth than he thinks it is.

also, it's originally his son's and he just told his father "to get rid of it", so he can't be really concerned about the money either. (shouldn't he at least know how much a 909 is worth?)

I'd pay the asking price, but I wouldn't haggle. it's a steal anyway.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Oh give me a break, there is such a thing as a good old fashioned bargain. Again, it is up to the bloody seller to determine the price, not the buyer. If you pay what he asks where is the problem here? Did you steal anything or rob the man? NO.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit, if you think there is then you'd better rethink the structure of the society you live in. Value is only determined by what someone will pay, so if this guy doesn't value this item as much as you then lucky for you. Also if he's too lazy to ask someone or research the going rate, then again, lucky for you. :!:
I'm alright jack!

Screw everybody else!
haha, what makes this guy so special? You're acting like he's a personal friend who has just lost his job and is out on the street, just realise people make a living making money off people all the time, it's called "business". You don't go round giving people more money for not putting a high price on something, that's just plain stupid.

Do you go on eBay and offer to pay more for something if it's cheap? :D

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 pm

I'd take them for the original price, possibly just ask something like "how much for both together", hoping to end up at maybe $ 250. I wouldn't urge him about that, however.

It'd have taken him (or some relative, friend etc. he could ask if he can't do it himself) less than 10 minutes on the Internet to get a rough idea of how much the stuff is worth. I know quite a few people in their seventies (including my parents), and the vast majority of them frequently and reguarly use the Internet and know how to find out what they want to know.

I used to go to flea markets rather frequently a few years ago, mostly looking for CDs and vinyl records. I never had a problem in paying the 1 or 2 Euros the seller asked for even when I knew the record is actually worth 10 times as much... same here.

I would use the units myself and not (re-)sell them quickly again.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

^ yeah I got an album once at a fleamarket for 1.50EUR, at home I checked how much it is actually worth, dicogs prices are over 40. if you sell something and don't check out how much it is going for, it's your loss.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:02 pm

You don't go to flea markets and talk UP all the prices. That's just madness. Or you have way too much money to spend.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Well yeah. I'm not going to argue that there's any inherent virtue in it but that in all honesty I would probably grab the bargain.

Might feel too guilty if it was for a charity sale though.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:57 pm

I bought my first electric guitar at a charity tag sale.

I was riding past on my bicycle when I spied a guitar case lying on the grass in front of the table. I stopped, opened up the case and saw an old Danelectro guitar that matched a Dano bass I already owned. I asked the price and was told $20. Then one of the ladies behind the table said "and this box goes with it". The "box" was a Danelectro tube amp! I gave them $20 and said I would be back with my car within an hour.

It was probably worth $150 or so at the time which was more than I could afford to spend. Still have and use both so I have yet to make a profit on my purchase ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:38 pm

There is absolutely nothign wrong with buying the gear for his asking price. There is also nothing wrong with trying to talk him down.

It's not sociopathic, or dishonest, or even rude. It's just economics.

He will be happy to get rid of the junk and you'll be happy to find the deal of a lifetime.

Everyone will be happy.