Buying under-priced vintage synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Buying under-priced vintage synths

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:41 am

Cumulus wrote:There is absolutely nothign wrong with buying the gear for his asking price. There is also nothing wrong with trying to talk him down.

It's not sociopathic, or dishonest, or even rude. It's just economics.

He will be happy to get rid of the junk and you'll be happy to find the deal of a lifetime.

Everyone will be happy.
Exactly right, I think some people here don't understand the fundamental points of making a business deal. :?

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:07 pm

if you chose option #2, if there's a he11 (why the h**l can't i say the word H3LL here without it being turned into h**l?!), that's where you'll be going. :ugeek:
Last edited by minime123 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:51 pm

minime123 wrote:if you chose option #2, if there's a h**l, that's where you'll be going. :ugeek:
For haggling a seller? Damn, guess were all screwed then :lol:

I would't do it, just cause it's taking the piss, but I've met the kind of people that would.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I would't do it, just cause it's taking the piss, but I've met the kind of people that would.
no. not for haggling a seller. for haggling with a seller who's already offering an insanely cheap price. not cool.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:23 pm

minime123 wrote:

no. not for haggling a seller. for haggling with a seller who's already offering an insanely cheap price. not cool.
Nah it's not, but I'm not sure it'd be h**l worthy.

dude163

Post by dude163 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I did exactly what I thought was right , I found a local tr909 for a good price , and told them they could make a lot more on ebay " I hate the hassle of eBay"

So I drove 130 Km each way to take a look at it and grabbed it

It was listed for 350$ canadian , with a bad cellphone picture, listed as " vintage roland analog machine"

Long story short, her husbands little brother used it in a church ensemble in teh early 90s , Organ, acoustic guitar and 909! " its great, he didnt need a drummer or a tambourine!"

She said it worked great and was clean, I got ther and it was acting all spazzy ( dead batteries) and was crackly and dirty, so they knocked off 50$ .

So I got a working TR909 for 300 canadian $$ ( 220 USD) and spent the last 2 days cleaning it up all it needs is a battery pack replaced and it should be ok

before : BEFORE PIC

AFTER : AFTER

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:09 am

Great score. I once bought an 808 with a dodgy master volume knob for $250 Canadian three blocks from my house.

I've always paid the asking price and not more or less when it comes to super deals. 5-8 years ago I used to score a ton locally for cheap.

While we're discussing this if you're not first to a good deal locally don't tell the seller you could fetch "x" times more on Ebay or offer more and ruin it for the person that was first. Thats just sour grapes. What goes around comes around.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:29 am

Sounds like #4 happened to this guy:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/5163666986.html

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:26 am

analoglsd wrote:Sounds like #4 happened to this guy:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/5163666986.html
I would have gladly given him 50 bucks for that guitar. It's his own fault that he's never heard of Gibson guitars before and was too lazy to do his homework before selling it. Just my opinion of course.

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 am

Swayze wrote: I would have gladly given him 50 bucks for that guitar. It's his own fault that he's never heard of Gibson guitars before and was too lazy to do his homework before selling it. Just my opinion of course.
So from the response of many (but not all) posters here, I gather that even as musicians (artists maybe ?) lots of people in order to secure a desirable musical instrument, will use the same ethical and business practices as do real estate agents, stock brokers, commodity traders, etc. in their own line of activities.
(btw, no disparaging judgement is intended on these professions).

Interesting.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 am

Well most musicians have a love for the craft and not much coin, so why would you blame them for wanting a bargain from time to time? Is it suddenly greedy to want to get something for a good price or something?

Plus think about it, the people that actually pioneered the use of the 808, 909 and 303 and made it popular, *none* of them would have been able to do what they did if the units cost what they do now.

Ironically the only reason they are so pricey now is because of that popularity which began way back when they were worth next to nothing.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 pm

I'd go with #3 if the person is clearly clueless of what s/he has (and in need of money), but have no remorse about thrift stores or garage sales.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:28 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote: musicians in order to secure a desirable musical instrument, will use the same ethical and business practices as do real estate agents, stock brokers, commodity traders, etc.
I fail to see how buying something for the full asking price is unethical.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:14 pm

The guy selling the Gibson acoustic obviously doesn't need the money that bad, or he wouldn't be interested in trading it for a Banshee. :roll:

If his kids are forced to eat dog food cause he lost his job, that's another story.

"Mr. Music lover" was willing to piss away an antique guitar for next to nothing. Then after some old-timer set him straight, he won't settle for less than $2,800, price is FIRM he says. :lol:

He sounds like a douchebag to me, so I wouldn't feel sorry buying something from him for HIS original asking price. Let him learn this "valuable" lesson the hard way.

I must sound like some kind of monster huh? :twisted:

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Swayze wrote:The guy selling the Gibson acoustic obviously doesn't need the money that bad, or he wouldn't be interested in trading it for a Banshee. :roll:

If his kids are forced to eat dog food cause he lost his job, that's another story.

"Mr. Music lover" was willing to piss away an antique guitar for next to nothing. Then after some old-timer set him straight, he won't settle for less than $2,800, price is FIRM he says. :lol:

He sounds like a douchebag to me, so I wouldn't feel sorry buying something from him for HIS original asking price. Let him learn this "valuable" lesson the hard way.
This is not about whether the seller is a nice person or not, or whether he was too lazy or not to do his "homework", or whether you think he deserved or not to lose a fair deal, or whether you think he "needed" or not to learn a "valuable" lesson ....
The thread imo is not about the seller (except as described in the OP), but rather about us all.