Buying under-priced vintage synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Re: Buying under-priced vintage synths

Post by Swayze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:09 pm

I hear ya KBD_TRACKER

Sorry for straying from the original topic.

In that first scenario you described, I'd go for option 1 or 6.

6 would be selling the gear on Ebay for him and splitting the profits. 8-)
Last edited by Swayze on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 pm

#1 in this instance. The items belonged to his son who owned this gear and not the older gentleman in question. If the son told him to 'get rid of it' and after owning a 909 and 101, is surprisingly oblivious to the value of both of these pieces these days then I don't have a problem.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:42 pm

#1, because that's what the s**t should be worth. They are not rare, and it is ancient technology. The songs created with the 101, and 909 , and the mystique around them drove up the prices. A bloated amount of hype, and copycat mentality also has something to do with it.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Subject: Buying under-priced vintage synths
KBD_TRACKER wrote: So from the response of many (but not all) posters here, I gather that even as musicians (artists maybe ?) lots of people in order to secure a desirable musical instrument, will use the same ethical and business practices as do real estate agents, stock brokers, commodity traders, etc. in their own line of activities.
(btw, no disparaging judgement is intended on these professions).

Interesting.
Where does the situation that you presented even come close to the ethics of stock brokers and commodity traders? Did I miss the option where you damage the items while they weren't looking and then convince them that the items are worthless and get them for spare change?

The whole premise is riding on a scale of do right by yourself or make an attempt to possibly help out a complete stranger who most likely does not need your help. There are no ethics involved here.

If the person involved was a loved one in serious need of money, that would be a different situation.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:40 pm

I changed my mind. I'd hit him and then steal what I wanted.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:I changed my mind. I'd hit him and then steal what I wanted.

:thumbleft: Now we're talking!

dayglo98
Gear: Casio VZ-1
Korg DW-6000
Akai AX73
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha V50
Casio MT-100
Farfisa TK62

Post by dayglo98 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:33 pm

I got an Akai AX73 for 50$ and a Casio VZ-1 for 25$, so I'll let you guess what my answer is :p (Oh yeah and a DX7 for free)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:53 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:Blimey, lots of sociopaths about =D>

I'd offer him double, that's the option where I get some bargain synths and yet can still live with myself. Then I'd use them and not flip them for a bigger price until at least 3-4 years of use later. I'd feel I was honouring the purchase then.
With the internet and all, it's the sellers fault for being too lazy to do the research. And before someone says he's old... my 95 year old aunt was on the internet until she passed.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:34 am

JSRockit wrote: With the internet and all, it's the sellers fault for being too lazy to do the research.
Sure, nowadays information is more readily available than 20 years ago.
However the OP was not about the shortcomings (real or perceived) of the seller. With a little concentration one could find dozens of such.
After all, if you see an old dirty confed flag sticker on the pick up of the seller this might be a reasonable justification to qualmlessly try to "screw" him ... right ? :mrgreen:

Again, it is about our decision making process (we, the knowledgeable buyers/users) in transacting a private purchase, about what we would do or not do to obtain a desired piece of gear.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:23 am

In the early 90's I picked up a ’67 Hofner Beatle bass for $40.00.

Talked him down from $50.00 because $50.00 was all I had to my name for food, gas, etc. for the next several days.

I ate carrots and Ramen noodles for a few days while playing my new Hofner Beatle bass.

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Post by Calgonstudio » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:55 pm

I'd offer 200 the pair if he took it, great if not , Oh well, the one thing I have learned over the years is there will all ways be another chance to buy 95% of the things we desire. but being at the right place at the right time , can be priceless.

A few years ago I got a ton of c**p on Talkbass.com for talking about a garage sale where I picked up a 66 fender jazz and a Fender Bassman with a 4x12 cab for $100, the guy in his mid 60s at the time(this was 2008) knew what he had and just didn't care, wanted it gone, he was moving, I was the only one even to look at the Bass, Amp and Cab. He also had a 75 Dodge D100 440 4x2 SWB truck there he wanted to sell, struck up a deal for the truck(I'm a big old school Mopar guy) and Irony is when I mentioned it on Moparts I got more flack and Was called a crook thief , a dishonest buyer.. all is fair
we as individuals can NOT make anyone do something, we can create a scenario in which the outcome favors us, but in the end Free will is always the deciding factor.
2 years ago I picked up a Roland Jupiter-8,SH5 and TB303 all from the same widower, her grand son told her it was all wroth over 10k, But she thought that since I never sold the 58 Les Paul her late husband gave me , it was fine to let me take the funny sound keyboard thingies.

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote:
1. take the gear for $150 each.
2. try to get him to sell the gear for $100 each.
3. you want to be fair: you tell him it's probably worth more than $150 each and so you offer him $250-300 each.
4. tell him that each would probably fetch $1500 on ebay but you could not afford that price, so you walk away.
5. tell him that each would probably fetch $1500 on ebay but you could not afford that, so you offer him $250-300 for each.
6. none of the above.

It DEPENDS on the sellers character and in what level I know him... that makes what I would do.

Option 5 . IF it is a person who is in my eyes whom I appreciate and value very highly.
Also in this situation as it is very unique, it sets person under the test, that how am I to him.
However mostly there is a need for my smart brains (help with golden hands needed in a household!!), and that can be bargain in most cases.

Option 1. if it is a neutral level stranger.

Option 3. if it is a stranger who got in a good contact with me quite good way.

Option 2, IF in a situation as it can be "low" lifeform.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Buy it first then apply the Golden Rule.

Buying it first then gives you all the time in the world to decide how to do the right thing.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

I've had people give me gear free that I later sold. I gave them some of the money.

Once I was offered a piece of gear for $125. I took it on loan and decided I really didn't want it but steered the seller to another buyer who would be interested. That guy did buy it and the seller gave me $25.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 am

To be fair, the days of uncovering valuable gear in junk shops is pretty much over. A quick search for a 'model number' in Google would provide a naive seller with all the necessary details. It's not like some strange antique where nobody knows anything about it.

Think about it, if you're clueless and uncovered a strange looking electronic box with buttons and switches, you're probably going to head for Google first to find out what it does!

Theres a guy near me sells all sorts of electronic junk, and I've always hoped I dig around in his shed and uncover an old LinnDrum or something...I can live in hope!!!

And yes, as you might have guessed I'd go for options 1 or 2, no questions asked :D