Moog Music sold

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Moog Music sold

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:31 am

To its employees. Good news for them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/arts/ ... pe=article

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Moog Music sold

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:14 am

Isn't it great when the workers own the means of production!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:34 am

So what does this actually mean? Apart from good PR for Moog I mean? Is it going to change the direction of the products?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 am

Hybrid88 wrote: [...] Is it going to change the direction of the products?
Hah. Hah.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:57 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: [...] Is it going to change the direction of the products?
Hah. Hah.

Stephen
Where's the joke?

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:57 pm

just curious, what direction would you like to see them go?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:10 pm

Employee ownership should equal increased productivity and creativity. The better your company performs the better your shared rewards and the better your participation in things that improve processes (innovation).

Could also mean someone's getting ready to jump ship and selling off their shares.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Reginator wrote:Employee ownership should equal increased productivity and creativity. The better your company performs the better your shared rewards and the better your participation in things that improve processes (innovation).

Could also mean someone's getting ready to jump ship and selling off their shares.
I think that's a rather cynical view.
Did you read the article?

It was always Bob's dream to eventually allow employees to participate in ownership, and this is a fulfillment of his dream.
The CEO announced it was BECAUSE of the very things you mentioned, and because it was one of Bob's dreams, Moog Music was able to do it.

I think it's great. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505

Post by Reginator » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

seamonkey wrote:
Reginator wrote:Employee ownership should equal increased productivity and creativity. The better your company performs the better your shared rewards and the better your participation in things that improve processes (innovation).

I think that's a rather cynical view.
Did you read the article?

It was always Bob's dream to eventually allow employees to participate in ownership, and this is a fulfillment of his dream.
The CEO announced it was BECAUSE of the very things you mentioned, and because it was one of Bob's dreams, Moog Music was able to do it.

I think it's great. :)
Not cynical at all mate. ;)
Empowering employees a way to build loyalty, and grow your business. Profit sharing, stock options, bonuses, all are reward programs. The Moog employees have 49% ownership, not a controlling share but enough to have a seat at the table which is great.

I just read the New York Times article and indeed the chief executive is leaving. [It’s also Mr. Adams’s path to retirement. “I’ve been looking for a way to get out,” he said. “This is my exit strategy.”]

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:02 pm

seamonkey wrote:just curious, what direction would you like to see them go?
I'm not criticising, they've made some great products recently, and If it does lead to more experimentation and creativity then I think that would be more than welcome. That said I think one of their biggest challenges is making the new company build upon their past without being stuck in it.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Isn't it great when the workers own the means of production!
That sounds a bit like Marxism, to me!!

Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Reg, by cynical I was referring to "someone's ready to jump ship", which usually means, at least to me, get out before the thing falls apart.
I started to read the NYTimes piece and I think I was barraged with ads, so I bailed out and read one from BillBoard magazine.
Sounds like we're in agreement regarding empowering employees.

I best stay off the internet today, my words and thoughts are getting confused. Is there a full moon? :?

Reginator

Post by Reginator » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Hahaha - hey seamonkey I should be the one to step back. I shouldn't have been so blunt with my thoughts. :)
We're in agreement, and even if we weren't we can still have a beer together! :drinks:

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Reginator wrote:Hahaha - hey seamonkey I should be the one to step back. I shouldn't have been so blunt with my thoughts. :)
We're in agreement, and even if we weren't we can still have a beer together! :drinks:
Just one? lol

Reginator

Post by Reginator » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:57 am

seamonkey wrote:
Reginator wrote:Hahaha - hey seamonkey I should be the one to step back. I shouldn't have been so blunt with my thoughts. :)
Just one? lol
Ok, maybe a few pints at the Tilted Kilt!