Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 am

Yamaha brought back the PSS series.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am

The CS: It's pretty clever to see the FEG, and AEG combined into a mixer slider. I don't think I've ever seen that on fixed architecture. It's competing with the Gaia seems like. Patch memory was just a budget cut or something. That doesn't make sense. Stop tethering things to phones.

DX: Feedback on all operators? Cool! Pitch EG goes to each operator individually, bonus. This is the big one, it looks like the LFO can affect each operators pitch by different amounts. This couldn't be done before either (only all at once).

The other ones don't interest me really.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:54 am

They all seem very immediately likeable, if I didn't already have several DX and AN synths I think I'd consider getting one those refaces. The DX seemed the most impressive to me with the multi-touch surface control thingy and display. Great platform to do more too I'd hope, reface SU RM QY RS ;)
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:37 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Yamaha brought back the PSS series.
With fewer features.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:27 am

I'd get the new DX over a DX100. I like how quick the editing looks for FM and it sounds really good. The YC would be fun to mess around with too, it has a good interface for a small organ. Both would be tempting to get if under $400 each. But then again I'd rather stick to my plan of replacing a bunch of gear with a workstation like the Kronos and actually getting s**t done.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:36 am

Swayze wrote:But then again I'd rather stick to my plan of replacing a bunch of gear with a workstation like the Kronos and actually getting s**t done.
I'd snap up the CP if it had a full size keybed. I'm sure there's people out there that will get all 4 (£1500's worth!!!), but a second hand Kronos for the same price would still cover all bases... and a whole lot more.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 am

Zamise wrote:They all seem very immediately likeable
That's exactly what I felt whilst watching the vids. I think these are great little keyboards, I might even buy a couple (or more) :)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

replicalex
Gear: SCI Pro One / Korg MonoPoly / Yamaha CS15 / TX802 / Roland: Sh101 / SH2 / Jupiter 6 / Juno 1 / AS: Semblance / MiniBrute / DRM1 mk2 / Jomox xBase09

Post by replicalex » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am

£347 each in the UK ??????????????

you've got to be kidding me. :shock:

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 am

F*cking shame. With all the software available today, who needs such awful invalid hardware?? Yamaha's answer to MicroKorg?? You've got to be kidding me Yamaha...

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:45 am

vladimotor wrote:With all the software available today, who needs such awful invalid hardware??
Think about it, you read at forums all over teh interwebz people who want to get rid of the computer and go 100% hardware (and in some cases 100% analog). These people are buying Volcas, mini/microBrutes, MS20, Electribes, etc, instruments that are inexpensive, small and portable with immediate tactile interfaces. Reface fits right into that niche.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 am

vladimotor wrote:Yamaha's answer to MicroKorg?
So what & why not? The microKorg is a fine instrument just like the second minikey instrument I have (microSampler). Both keyboards are fine to play if it doesn't get too fast. And if you need standard keys you can still connect a MIDI keyboard or the synth of your choice and use that to play. No big deal, actually.

I'll have a close look at the first CS reviews since that's the one I'm mostly interested in.
DX - fine, but I already have a DX7II and a DX21.
CP - I have a full size digital piano.
YC - I don't use organ sounds that much, and if I do there are really nice patches for he DX7 (including some that make you wonder whether the synth is possessed by the ghost of Jon Lord =D> ) plus a few for the DX21.
meatballfulton wrote:Think about it, you read at forums all over teh interwebz people who want to get rid of the computer and go 100% hardware (and in some cases 100% analog). These people are buying Volcas, mini/microBrutes, MS20, Electribes, etc, instruments that are inexpensive, small and portable with immediate tactile interfaces. Reface fits right into that niche.
Exactly.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 am

You missed my point, there is nothing wrong with MS20 mini and there is nothing wrong with going Hardware, the thing is there is proper hardware and there is c**p like Reface. Besides for me the whole point of hardware is to have some hands-on interface and control. I am myself a pro-hardware guy, but the recent trend in hardware instruments will turn me toward software after all. Does Yamaha even get the appeal of FM synths? I want hardware FM8, not the bloody FM bell and EP trapped inside inadequate dwarf of a keyboard.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:17 pm

vladimotor wrote: I want hardware FM8, not the bloody FM bell and EP trapped inside inadequate dwarf of a keyboard.
A hardware FM8 would dwarf even a combined JD800/WaldorfWave. I get your groove, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. At least not without banking, and unless controllers are automated in some way, you wouldn't want banking anyway.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Forgive me if I don't immediately s**t myself with excitement.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Gear4music has them listed for pre-order at £289.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud