Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 pm

put all 5 engines in one compact, 5-octave 'board w/ memory, splits&zones for 1200USD and they'd sell a few million
....instead we got the munchkin orchestra, with the most head-scratchin' name since since.... tanzbar

i know they're whipping up some crazy new synth(s?) w/ Richard Devine's input, but these are not they

most irresistible to me would be a 4-voice, 6 or 8-op desktop w/ patch-points capable of audio-rate Yamaha FM(PM). Modcan upped the ante several years back; it would be encouraging to see Yamaha do something rightly ambitious since...... the FS1R of last millennium :cry:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Jeez for $500, count me out. I'll just stick with the TG77 that I got for $200 if I want FM sounds...not to mention decent piano, organ and analog synth emulations. :thumbright:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Ditto. For $500 I can get a lot niftier, more exciting stuff than this.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:53 am

Did you know that Yamaha is actually run by vampires that feed on the tears of synth nerds? You guys are making them so powerful now!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:58 am

shaft9000 wrote:put all 5 engines in one compact, 5-octave 'board w/ memory, splits&zones for 1200USD and they'd sell a few million
....instead we got the munchkin orchestra, with the most head-scratchin' name since since.... tanzbar
You mean a workstation? They already sell millions of workstations. You're completely missing the point of these, they have dedicated interfaces designed exactly for the synth engine they use. It's the complete opposite of the does everything with a generic interface approach of workstation, these are meant to be axes.

priima

Post by priima » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:05 am

Most of my musician friends can't/wouldn't spend more than around $800 on a keyboard. If you are the kind of person to make frequent "investments" in expensive music gear; yeah you're possibly "professional", nothing wrong with that, but you're a minority. Don't forget that most musicians aren't synth nerds, and they don't need to be. It's probably better that they are not.

Also; the college age kids not caring or thinking too much about gear or technicalities, they're probably more likely to make some good music that'll be payed attention to way more than anything any forum-browsing studio nerd will ever create.

These keyboards look very fun and they sound nice. That's all that matters. (do think $500 is a deal brake though...)
<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:04 am

meatballfulton wrote:$499.99 each at Sweetwater, taking pre-orders.
Yeah, no thanks. :lol: The only one that's remotely interesting is the DX, and that's because I don't own a single FM synth. So at least it would add something to the gear I already have. The rest...no thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 pm

shaft9000 wrote:the most head-scratchin' name since since.... tanzbar
It's German for Danceable.

Which is a bit head scratching in itself :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:put all 5 engines in one compact, 5-octave 'board w/ memory, splits&zones for 1200USD and they'd sell a few million
You mean a workstation? They already sell millions of workstations.
I can see where shaft9000 is coming from - When was the last time Yamaha gave us something new other than rehash of the Motif. A "Workstation" to me means sequencer/sampling/looping etc... It doesn't need all that. Just bundle these four little guys into another Motif Rompler without all the sequencer stuff. Both ends of the market would be satisfied (Hmmm... Probably not!)

Maybe that's exactly what "Montage" will be.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 pm

meatballfulton wrote:

No, it's German for Dancing Bear. It is called Tanzbär originally, with the umlaut. Without the umlaut, it would indeed be Danceable. Play of words...

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

meatballfulton wrote:

Nope. "Dancing Bear" - You're missing an umlaut.

Edit: Simulpost!
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: You mean a workstation?
no,
i mean putting every non-redundant control of each unit in different sections of one UI, like an ARP quadra or Korg PolyEnsemble layout, and in several rows if need be. But two rows should suffice.
Keep the looper - or just someway to define and sync(since MIDI clock needs no channel assignment) a simple accompanying pattern - hence the advantage of simple splits and zones, but no drum-machine stuff. No proper sequencing. Add a mixer & patch section, proper-sized keybed, full I/O and it's good to go.
The only other things like this, and to a limited extent, are the Korg SV-1, and to a lesser extent the Nords. i.e. not synthesizers or romplers or arrangers, but a VA resulting in a combo/keyboard in dedicated/"bespoke" UI; no menus & minimal 'shift'-button usage, if any.

Yamaha has all the history and resources to do it as well or better than anyone...but this is what we get first (i won't say "instead" since they have other synths in the oven).

Who knows, I may dig 'em in person. Just not excited(yet) from afar.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:00 pm

The DX looks cool, I think the interface looks pretty sweet, actually. If there are more wave forms to play with than just sine's and that it seems that users can attack the edits/envelopes of each operator quickly and directly; maybe having only 4 operators isn't as limiting as it at first appears. I've always felt that the number of operators is less important than what you can make them do to each other.

Seems like there will be some people who buy a DX reface and realize that FM was more than they were ready to dive into, so there will be some brand new second hand options, at least at first.

DX is my main focus here... There is a lot of market philosophy/mumbo jumbo going on as with all things used as creative tools but seems like Yamaha is getting their hands dirty, at least.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:53 pm

After watching the demos I like the dx and it seems sort of reasonable in price considering the lack of new fm synths, I'm also glad they stuck with 4-op.

The CS looks way too crippled to be useful compared to other options. The EP could be useful and the fx sounded good to my ears.

I see these things being used in a live context for small (1-2 people) groups that have a lot of other stuff to bring and need some poly action to play...

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:55 pm

If Yamaha had put the performance-modulation controls from the poly cs series on there I'd be more excited. A missed opportunity IMHO... Other than that, good that they are doing something more interesting!