Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
priima

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by priima » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 am

just a thought; mini keys are not a new thing, they've been around since the 16th century or so

<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:45 am

I'm actually in the process of coming around to mini keys. You just have to train your hands/fingers appropriately. I still edit the daylights out of my performances, so its not changing how I play. If anything, the limitation that comes along with mini keys that still drives me a bit bonkers is lack of key ranges. Where's the 61 and 88 note mini key controllers!

Whats interesting though, is being stuck with 25 notes at a time has forced me to think more about just one hand instead of two. This is leading to some more lucrative melody/counterpoint discoveries. At the end of the day, when I'm in the writing zone, it doesn't matter what is in front of me - I'll get the job done!

Anyways. These little Reface things look and sound pretty alright. Like everyone else has said, function-value ratio is bit wacked.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:25 am

Mini keys + midi breakout cable = fail

Is it just me or does Yamaha's target audience appear to be indie singer/songwriter chicks?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 am

Swayze wrote:Is it just me or does Yamaha's target audience appear to be indie singer/songwriter chicks?
Maybe, it's a 10-100 times bigger market than synth nerd dudes.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:25 am

That sounds about right. This also has mainstream written all over it. I can see Taylor Swift playing one of these just like she plays the guitar...same goes for Lil Wayne.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:02 am

Swayze wrote:That sounds about right. This also has mainstream written all over it. I can see Taylor Swift playing one of these just like she plays the guitar...same goes for Lil Wayne.
How does that make you feel?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Where's the 61 and 88 note mini key controllers!
Korg has some mini 61 key offerings.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am

meatballfulton wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:Where's the 61 and 88 note mini key controllers!
Korg has some mini 61 key offerings.

haha, awesome!

Swayze

Post by Swayze » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Swayze wrote:That sounds about right. This also has mainstream written all over it. I can see Taylor Swift playing one of these just like she plays the guitar...same goes for Lil Wayne.
How does that make you feel?
Like this :facepalm:

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Because god forbid a musical instrument has appeal outside the insular world of synth nerds.

Also, are we implying that Lil Wayne stopping his set to hammer away at a tiny keyboard is a bad thing? Because that sounds incredible to behold. Can't wait to download all of Mr. Wayne's custom DX patches.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Edward Ka-Spel (Legendary PInk Dots) with his microkorg which he's used the s**t out of for over a decade!

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Reface - meh, not for me. That DX10 picture somebody posted earlier on the other hand - very interested to see/hear more of that. Interface looks really cool from what you can see, and the design itself really reminds me of the TI Polar.

Depending on features/sound/price point I'd likely be VERY interested in that one.

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Reface - meh, not for me. That DX10 picture somebody posted earlier on the other hand - very interested to see/hear more of that. Interface looks really cool from what you can see, and the design itself really reminds me of the TI Polar.

Depending on features/sound/price point I'd likely be VERY interested in that one.
It was just fan art - not going to materialize.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 pm

The DX10 mockup was created when a few months back Yamaha had an open forum asking users about what they would like to see in future Yamaha gear.

It was amazing to me how many people just wanted reissues. A few suggested updates of FM but with improved UIs, like the DX10 concept.

When Reface was announced I'm sure some folks assumed it was in response to that survey but it's obvious that the development started long before the survey.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 am

That sucks. Looked pretty dope