Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Re-Member
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin
Location: PDX

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Re-Member » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Are we seriously complaining about break out MIDI cables now? Those cost like $15 to replace and can easily be purchased online. It's no more of a "design flaw" than a synth having detachable power adapter that could get lost.

Here's an idea: Don't lose your stuff.

User avatar
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source
Location: DenverMetroUSA, Quantum-Source.com
Contact:

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Zamise » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 pm

They also look very similar to the "To Host" data ports. The synths don't look small enough not to be able to have standard midi ports to me. Are they smaller/thinner than a QY70? Has anyone opened one up yet? I'm still curious if they use PLGs or daughter boards, or something else, anyhow... You could possibly drill a couple holes and mount standard midi ports in it using the break out cable if loosing your cable is that big of a worry for you. Or, maybe just duct tape it to the synth. You know what else would of been maybe not necessarily innovative but would simply make a ton of sense and they didn't do it? USB powered and rechargeable dudes. F batteries right in the A hole. Bluetooth might of made some sense too, I wonder if it be possible to input to your phone and bluetooth it out from there to usb recharable bluetooth headphones. That'd maybe even give the battery life some extra time, instead of constantly being worried about loosing your wall wart and having to velcro it to the side of the synth with an extra 3 ft of extension cord for those 5+ hour gigs every weekend.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

abruzzi
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by abruzzi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Re-Member wrote:Are we seriously complaining about break out MIDI cables now? Those cost like $15 to replace and can easily be purchased online. It's no more of a "design flaw" than a synth having detachable power adapter that could get lost.

Here's an idea: Don't lose your stuff.
My SY99 doesn't have a detachable power cable, so it's clearly superior to your synths.

:lol:

User avatar
Re-Member
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin
Location: PDX

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Re-Member » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:01 pm

abruzzi wrote:
Re-Member wrote:Are we seriously complaining about break out MIDI cables now? Those cost like $15 to replace and can easily be purchased online. It's no more of a "design flaw" than a synth having detachable power adapter that could get lost.

Here's an idea: Don't lose your stuff.
My SY99 doesn't have a detachable power cable, so it's clearly superior to your synths.

:lol:
My Juno-60 and DX11 both don't have detachable cords, which personally I dislike because they are always dangling there each time I move my gear around. Plus it adds more weight to the unit. Detachable adapters work better for me since I can I bundle them with my audio cables and etc. And if happen to lose them, I'm certainly not going to cry about it being some kind of design flaw that they are not attached. There's a huge difference between an actual design flaw and human error. I wouldn't blame Honda if I lost my car keys.

User avatar
Gianni
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Gianni » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 pm

I don't think this has been posted already, and it is my favorite Reface video so far: http://captiongenerator.com/49055/Hitle ... aha-Reface

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5773
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Re-Member wrote: Detachable adapters work better for me since I can I bundle them with my audio cables and etc. And if happen to lose them, I'm certainly not going to cry about it being some kind of design flaw that they are not attached.

Totally OT, but...

This is a perfect example of how people perceive gear features differently.

I hate AC adapters not because you can lose them but because they have flimsy cables that are always too short. I've seen a number of them fail on a gig so if it's your only instrument you'd better pack a spare adapter. Wall warts are a PITA when you need to plug a few into a single power strip...and because the cables are so short you will have to do this :?

Detachable IEC-style grounded AC cords are fine for gear that will never move or is always racked, but I hate them on gigging gear that is constantly being moved and has no place to store the cord (storage inside a case or bag for the unit is OK). I've been on gigs where the entire PA was DOA because all the power cords for the mixer and powered speakers were left at home, even though all the XLR cables had been packed. That never happens with an attached cord :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
fh991586
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 pm
Real name: Francis
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines
Location: French Canada

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by fh991586 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 am

Last year I posted a rant about the TRS-midi special cables needed for the new Korg Electribe products, and I got pushed aside bitterly.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 12#p733912
So now you get ANOTHER different midi cable... Way to go for a standard! :/
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

User avatar
synthparts
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by synthparts » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:08 am

Meatball, you might get some of these -

Image
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 am

commodorejohn wrote:Then that's a design flaw.
You're right of course, which is why your mighty synthesizer company is the biggest in the world and Yamaha are but a lowly grub at your feet, wishing they could design as well as you. :lol:

User avatar
piRoN
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:04 am
Gear: A fair bit.
Location: The crotch of The Lucky Country

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by piRoN » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:11 am

Jabberwalky wrote:That looks extremely easy to make. Wonder where you can buy the end connector?
It's a standard 6-pin mini-DIN, so pretty much anywhere. It'll set you back the princely sum of $2.00 on Digikey.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

User avatar
Re-Member
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin
Location: PDX

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Re-Member » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:15 am

meatballfulton wrote: I hate AC adapters not because you can lose them but because they have flimsy cables that are always too short. I've seen a number of them fail on a gig so if it's your only instrument you'd better pack a spare adapter. Wall warts are a PITA when you need to plug a few into a single power strip...and because the cables are so short you will have to do this :?

Detachable IEC-style grounded AC cords are fine for gear that will never move or is always racked, but I hate them on gigging gear that is constantly being moved and has no place to store the cord (storage inside a case or bag for the unit is OK). I've been on gigs where the entire PA was DOA because all the power cords for the mixer and powered speakers were left at home, even though all the XLR cables had been packed. That never happens with an attached cord :lol:
1. Power cord extensions exist, even ones which can be locked into place so it doesn't become loose by mistake.
2. If the possibility of a power cord or adapter randomly failing requires bringing a spare, the same chance of failure also applies to a synth with a built-in power supply. Plus, it's easier to replace a power adopter vs. replacing or repairing an entire synthesizer.
3. Not all power adapters have wall warts attached at the base of the plug.
4. Power strips come in all shapes and sizes with outlets facing multiple directions, making multiple wall warts manageable.
5. If someone doesn't have the right tools for a job, then human error is entirely to blame. It's equally possible for someone to forget audio cables for a PA set up as well since they are also not attached.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You're right of course, which is why your mighty synthesizer company is the biggest in the world and Yamaha are but a lowly grub at your feet, wishing they could design as well as you. :lol:
Damn straight.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5773
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 pm

ReMember,

Like I wrote:

This is a perfect example of how people perceive gear features differently.

Whether it's minikeys or wall-warts, there will always be a difference of opinion.
2. If the possibility of a power cord or adapter randomly failing requires bringing a spare, the same chance of failure also applies to a synth with a built-in power supply. Plus, it's easier to replace a power adopter vs. replacing or repairing an entire synthesizer.
Risk of failure of a wall wart cable is higher because of the thin cable and the way it attaches to the plug and the transformer brick. Risk of losing a cable is infinitely higher than using an attached cable which can never be lost or forgotten :lol:

I get your point completely. Back OT, OK?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
Alphacode
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:45 am
Location: I'm around...

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Alphacode » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Seriously Guys think about it , Midi only needs 3 pins. Why not make MIDI on mini jacks ? Seriously DIN in 2015 ?

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5773
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Alphacode wrote:Seriously Guys think about it , Midi only needs 3 pins. Why not make MIDI on mini jacks ? Seriously DIN in 2015 ?
Look at what happened with all the various USB connectors. In the pro audio world the transition to Speakon connectors is still incomplete after 28 years!

The MMA needs to codify alternate connectors or it becomes the wild west. For connection to existing gear, one end of the cable needs to be DIN anyway.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Post Reply