Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Zamise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:39 pm

salwa wrote:
Zamise wrote:I don't think they ever put out a synth with actual mini sized keys, have they?
Yes, DX 100.
Ah OK yeah that'll count as one. CS-01 maybe count too I suppose. I've actually been looking lately for smallest possible midi controller with keys that has a standard midi port and not usb and Ran across their CBXK1, which could be considered a synth as well with mini-keys by yamaha.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Sorry off topic. Just downloaded CS01 manual to see if it has midi, still not sure but look at this gem I found in it:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Great pic!

CS01 has no MIDI. Or CV, unless Kenton retrofit is installed. It does have a Breath Controller input, which is cool.

CBXK1 is the classic keytar. The keys are small, same as the CS01. But not as small as, say, the MicroKorg. So they're very playable. Lets you do silly intervals with one hand :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:59 pm

I still have the MA10 unit that the guitarist in that drawing is using, Yamaha's answer to the Rockman.

The MA10 had three aux sends and three aux returns with level controls plus two headphone jacks. The MM10 (4 channel mixer) was also set up like that, they could be patched into each other and everyone could create their own headphone mix. Each came with a vinyl cover and shoulder straps.

Only about 30 years ahead of their time :lol:

Oh yeah, both the CS01 and DX100 ran on batteries and were designed to be portable...unlike the MS20 mini and Karp Odyssey which have minikeys for no good reason.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Bitexion wrote:I don't think they use regular sized keys anymore because the age of the progrock/hammond keyboardist is long gone. Artists more or less use keyboards to trigger arpeggiators and sequencers more than play 6 finger keyboard chops.

And the only players who do those things are well into their 50's and 60's nowadays. You don't need a 6 octave fullsized keyboard to play a 3 note arp pattern. All the manufacturers have realized this.

And pianists and classically trained people like Rudess play on actual pianos or massive 76/88 key workstations with 10GB sample libraries anyway.
...um. I may not be classically trained, and I wouldn't claim to have serious chops, but I am under 30 (just) and play live without arpeggiators or sequencers (though I do do my recording projects with MIDI sequencing.) And I seriously doubt I'm the only one. Certainly the "Macbook and MIDI loop-trigger pad" DJ set are the trendy new kids getting all the attention, but that hardly means that there isn't anyone else out there doing things differently.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:57 am

All I'm saying is that all those "mini-key" analog synths are made for SOMEone. And it certainly isn't the keyboard virtuosos among us. Doesn't seem to be any thoughts for the Rudesses and Wakemans outside the massive workstation synths.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:42 am

I think I will need cs01 with kenton retro fit thanks MT.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 am

Bitexion wrote:All I'm saying is that all those "mini-key" analog synths are made for SOMEone. And it certainly isn't the keyboard virtuosos among us.
Honestly I think it's questionable to assume that just because a product/design is commonly imitated that it's "for" anyone but the manufacturers. Especially in consumer electronics, things get made the way they do not so much because consumers really like it as because they'll tolerate it and it's cheaper for manufacturers to make it that way. It's the same reason you can hardly buy a computer that'll still work in five or ten years anymore.
Doesn't seem to be any thoughts for the Rudesses and Wakemans outside the massive workstation synths.
I think part of that might be because the Rudesses and the Wakemans have mostly moved to the massive workstation synths, and/or the "separate controller for rack and/or softsynths" approach. About the only high-profile keyboard wizard I can think of who's still rocking the old equipment is Keith Emerson...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:58 am

After looking at the Reface again, I think they might be "SHORT" keys instead of minikeys.

The KX5 has keys that are the same width as a normal keyboard, they're just shorter.

I guess we'll see soon.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:20 am

Wow yeah reface looks very similar to the KX5. Its based off a freagin keytar.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:27 am

Bitexion wrote:All I'm saying is that all those "mini-key" analog synths are made for SOMEone. And it certainly isn't the keyboard virtuosos among us. Doesn't seem to be any thoughts for the Rudesses and Wakemans outside the massive workstation synths.
The real question is why are we talking about Rudess and Wakeman, does anyone even listen to that s**t?

I'm tired of hearing those names dropped as though they are something worth talking about, it's just perpetuating the bullshit marketing pumped into us by keyboard companies that still have no clue what interesting music is actually being made with their products. :?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:38 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Bitexion wrote:All I'm saying is that all those "mini-key" analog synths are made for SOMEone. And it certainly isn't the keyboard virtuosos among us. Doesn't seem to be any thoughts for the Rudesses and Wakemans outside the massive workstation synths.
The real question is why are we talking about Rudess and Wakeman, does anyone even listen to that s**t?

I'm tired of hearing those names dropped as though they are something worth talking about, it's just perpetuating the bullshit marketing pumped into us by keyboard companies that still have no clue what interesting music is actually being made with their products. :?
Truth.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 am

This came up over social media. I cannot vouch for its authenticity.

4-operator FM sound engine offers the additional synthesis of dynamic and expressive power.
The new features of this engine will enable a wide range of sound production by providing a continuous variable feedback to the operator.
· Two programmable effects blocks (one block seven effects per type)
, effect type: VCM Touch Wah, VCM Flanger, VCM Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb and distortion
. • Direct access is available in four parameters simultaneously with multi-touch control interface
· 32 voice memory locations You can use your favorite store and play back sound.

===

Common specs:
Size: 530 mm (20 7/8") x 60 mm (2 3/8") x 175 mm (6 7/8")
Weight: 1.9 kg (4 lbs, 3 oz) (not including batteries)
37 HQ mini keys

Ins and outs:
DC IN (12 V) jack
PHONES (6.3 mm, stereo phone jack)
MIDI (mini-DIN IN/OUT)
AUX IN (3.5 mm, mini stereo phone jack)
L/MONO, R (6.3 mm, TS phone jack, unbalanced)
USB (TO HOST)
FOOT CONTROLLER: FC7 (optional) (to adjust the volume)

DX:
4 operator 12 algorithms 32 voices(patches)
Max Poly 8
Engine FM

CP:
6 keyboard types (rdI, rdII, wr, clv, toy, cp)
Max Poly 128
Engine SCM + AWM2

YC:
5 organ types (hammond, vox, farfisa, a (Japanese transistor organ) ,Yamaha YC-45D
Max Poly 128
Engine AWM (organ flutes)

CS:
5 Osc types
Max Poly 8
Engine AN

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

I would say this is legit. Oh look... HQ mini keys!

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am

4 operators? Meh... I'll stick to my DX7 then. However, that CS one looks interesting. It's time for new AN :-)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)