Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:06 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Bitexion wrote:All I'm saying is that all those "mini-key" analog synths are made for SOMEone. And it certainly isn't the keyboard virtuosos among us. Doesn't seem to be any thoughts for the Rudesses and Wakemans outside the massive workstation synths.
The real question is why are we talking about Rudess and Wakeman, does anyone even listen to that s**t?

I'm tired of hearing those names dropped as though they are something worth talking about, it's just perpetuating the bullshit marketing pumped into us by keyboard companies that still have no clue what interesting music is actually being made with their products. :?
I listen to both of them and their respective bands. I am a big Dream Theater fan. Just because you dont like it, don't assume nobody else does either. Besides I'm not mentioning them as company reps for Korg etc, just as an example of "that" playing style. Big chords in complicated progressions, fast lead playing, lots of piano etc. Something that is certainly not possible to play on minikeys.
Last edited by Bitexion on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:07 am

It's legit:
http://kr.yamaha.com/ko/products/musica ... _and_video

So CS is modern take on CS-01 I think, DX is DX-100 in new clothes, CP does Rhodes, Wurli, Clavinet, toy piano and CP-80 and YC does Hammond, Vox, Farfisa, YC-45 and "Japanese transistor organ" (?). I'm just disappointed, that CP and YC don't have phrase looper.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:43 pm

DX looks fun, as all DX :thumbright:

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:10 pm

You know what is awesome!? This thing probably has programmable algorithms. It looks like each OP can be sent anywhere, and also have feedback. That is pretty damn powerful.

They went minimal on hardware though. Not even a mod wheel of some kind. If less than say $125 or so, I want one.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Image

You know what is awesome!? This thing probably has programmable algorithms.
Was thinking that too first (display sure looks like that should be possible), but the (preliminary? rumoured?) specs say
4 operator 12 algorithms
:dontknow:

Looks fun nevertheless, and one minikey octave less than a DX100 :mrgreen: I'm mainly hoping it will have a sustain pedal input at this point :ugeek:

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Some of them had pedal input, I think. But DX had just one photo. Anyway, looks like Yamaha took down those sites, so we have to wait one more day.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:37 pm

4 op, only 32 patch locations. Are we back in the 20th century?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:4 op, only 32 patch locations. Are we back in the 20th century?
More operators means complicated interface - it looks like they want to keep it simple. 32 patches are indeed puzlling. I'd rather stay with my YS100 :)

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Copied from my post on reddit: Googlish from the DX page cached:
"Sound
· 4-operator FM sound engine offers the additional synthesis of dynamic and expressive . The new features of this engine is to provide continuous feedback to the operator variable enables a wide range of sound production.
· Two programmable effects blocks ( seven effect types per block )
· Effect Type : VCM Touch Wah , VCM Flanger , VCM phaser , chorus, delay, reverb and distortion
• Direct access is available in four parameters simultaneously with multi- touch control interface. · Use 32 voice memory positions can be saved and play your favorite sound.
Control
· Actions on the basis of the FS functions of Yamaha's flagship MotifXF , HQ ( high ), this mini keyboard provides fast response time and the best of the best touch sensitivity , accurate, and are natural performers possible. · Integrated Phrase Looper : Record a rising track , or you can enjoy improvisation .
· Sustain Pedal input for sustain function can be created on any FM sound.
Portability and connectivity.
3cm , with a 2W stereo speaker system with the power , you can play anywhere and time. Specially designed bass reflex port technology to produce full, rich sound to enhance the bass response.
· Battery power : "AA" battery 6 into 5 hours is possible.
· USB "TO HOST" can be a MIDI connection to your computer or iOS device via · Dual 1/4 " unbalanced line outputs provide connectivity to mixers, audio interfaces , and DI boxes.
· Mobile device to the external input terminal of 3.5mm, by connecting the tablet to be music .
Create your own Soundmondo share your musical inspiration
[ September 01, going to be a service ; Soundmondo Sound Share is a free community where you can share makes searching for reface voice , when using Google Chrome , you can configure the list anywhere online. The Soundmondo driven by web MIDI is easy to use . When you reface just plug in chrome or you can search just make a sound.
Some specs:
앰프 및 스피커
앰프 2 W x 2
스피커 3 cm x 2
전원부
소비전력 6 W (When using PA-130 power adaptor) 전원 공급 장치
배터리 수명 Approximately 5 hours
Power Supply
Auto Power Off Yes
Power Supply Adaptors PA-130 or an equivalent recommended by Yamaha
Batteries Six “AA” size batteries or Ni-MH rechargeable batteries
Accessories
Included AC adaptor, MIDI breakout cable, Owner’s Manual, Warranty *May be included depending on your locale
Voices
Number of types 4 Operators, 12 Algorithms
Number of voices 32 (memorable)
Effects Distortion/VCM Touch Wah/Chorus/VCM Flanger/VCM Phaser/Delay/Reverb 크기/무게
크기 폭 530 mm (20 7/8")
높이 60 mm (2 3/8")
깊이 175 mm (6 7/8")
Size/Weight
Dimensions Weight 1.9 kg (4 lbs, 3 oz) (not including batteries)
Keyboard
Number of Keys 37 keys
Type HQ mini (High-Quality mini)
Initial Touch Yes
Tone generation
Maximum Polyphony 8
Engine FM
Other Features
Phrase Looper Yes
Display Type Full Dot LCD (128 x 64 dots)
Connectivity
DC IN DC IN (12 V) jack
Headphones PHONES (6.3 mm, stereo phone jack)
MIDI MIDI (mini-DIN IN/OUT)
AUX IN AUX IN (3.5 mm, mini stereo phone jack)
OUT PUT L/MONO, R (6.3 mm, TS phone jack, unbalanced)
USB TO HOST USB (TO HOST)
Pedal Type SUSTAIN: FC3(A), FC4(A), FC5 (optional)
Half dumper NO (*Half damper's control message can be sent to external device via MIDI)"

Unfortunately I was unable to pull anything from the other pages, the DX one is the only one that cached on google.

I have mixed feelings about this-- mini keys SUCK. If they'd just make it a little bigger with a few more controls this could have been huge. I can excuse minikeys a little more on something monophonic, but to play full keyboard/piano parts on the CP or DX would just suck. I guess they'll be "modules" but at that rate, why not cut off the keys for us and give us a few more controls? I like the idea of digitally modeled CS-80 and CP-70s though, the DX was always digital so that doesn't matter. There are pretty limited options for doing a CP-70 these days, and I can only thing of the CS-80 from Arturia for a CS emulation. These are long overdue! But the DX needs a better interface especially.

I'm going to feel encouraged NOT to buy them because I know that in a year or two they might be replaced by revamped versions with the same audio engine but more controls and full keys or modules.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Anyone who is serious about playing will have their fave full-sized 88-key midi master keyboard anyway (like an Oasys or Motif or whatever). I think they include minikeys just to cater for those who just "noodle" a bit and don't have a big controller keyboard sitting around the livingroom.
Last edited by Bitexion on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Also - making them keyless would mean no mobility (which is one of the selling points) and no interest from begginers (who usually don't have master keyboard).

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Bitexion wrote:Anyone who is serious about playing will have their fave full-sized 88-key midi master keyboard anyway (like an Oasys or Motif or whatever). I think they include minikeys just to cater for those who just "noodle" a bit and don't have a big controller keyboard sitting around the livingroom.
If you were to buy 2 or 3 of them, as modules they could fit where one keyboard would, but you need much more space at their current size. I understand needing to cater to the noodlers and performers of the world but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a module for us that keep a limited-room studio too.

Also, they're mini keys, which means most keyboardists... not "guitarist who plays keyboards sometimes"... won't like them as much.

Vo1t

Post by Vo1t » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Here's a size comparison of some guys hand and the keyboard, and a fuzzy wuzzy image of the back.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 pm

I would have preferred to have seen the three mock ups that have appeared elsewhere on the 'net - the Yamaha AN10, DX10 and VL10. Although they may not real, they look the biz! I'd buy one of those.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 pm

In that photo with a guy on the stairs, the keys look to be somewhat bigger than typical mini-keys.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)