Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 pm

I think synths with lots of different engines are awesome. But I'm worried about the price being as high as the current Motifs etc. Out of my range then.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:26 pm

I get to see and hear it at the twelfth of this month, at a dealer-only demo. Although for now I'd put my money on a Yamaha version of the Roland System-1. Not that I know this for sure, but it's merely following a trend in which software gets harder and hardware gets softer.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:51 pm

CS_TBL wrote:I'd put my money on a Yamaha version of the Roland System-1.
Hopefully with more than four voices :banghead:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:25 pm

One thing Yamaha has over Roland, is the fact that they actually know how to make a decent sounding VA synth. They were there in the beginning with the An1x. Roland VA's have always been weak IMO.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:One thing Yamaha has over Roland, is the fact that they actually know how to make a decent sounding VA synth. They were there in the beginning with the An1x. Roland VA's have always been weak IMO.
I don't know about that, the JP-8000 is a really unique and powerful sounding VA to me. But they were undoubtably the kings of FM, it would make a lot of sense to address the worst part about the DX series (apart from it's cheesy preset overuse that is) and release a fun FM synth with a knobby interface, or at least something more appropriate than that god awful menu system they had back then. :geek:

...BTW is it just me or is this the longest countdown in history? Dragging something shocking :facepalm:

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:is it just me or is this the longest countdown in history?
Like a blink of the eye compared to the Korg Odyssey wait, eh ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 am

Jabberwalky wrote:One thing Yamaha has over Roland, is the fact that they actually know how to make a decent sounding VA synth. They were there in the beginning with the An1x. Roland VA's have always been weak IMO.
I think the System-1 and all the additional plug-out engines for it sound really great. I remember even daring someone on another forum to match some samples I provided of my SH-101 being pushed to the extreme and the 101 emulation was pretty much spot on. The only thing I dislike about it is the design and two-octave keyboard.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:13 am

God, it's horrible to be old.

I remember when the An1x came out. Everyone hated it. It spent years being a stupid and mocked synth.
Now, everyone's all in love with it.

Same deal with just about every synth. Although I gotta say I'm really surprised that the M1 resurgence and the D-50 resurgence haven't occurred before the An1x resurgence.

And everyone who is just angry and bitter that everyone doesn't love the DX7... :::sighs:::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:31 am

M1 and D50 resurgence is going strong, just with musicians rather than synth collectors.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:M1 and D50 resurgence is going strong, just with musicians rather than synth collectors.
Yep. And they're so abundant that prices should stay where they are for a while.
soundcloud.com/vectron

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:17 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:God, it's horrible to be old.

I remember when the An1x came out. Everyone hated it. It spent years being a stupid and mocked synth.
au contrair

[/bbvideo]

;)
w00t

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:47 am

The M1 is huge in Mexican music these days.

A few years ago I was in Arizona on vacation and all the Mexican/American stations were awash with the sound.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:26 pm

I wasn't into synths then, but I can say that even in 2003, people loved the An1x.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:11 pm

sneakthief wrote:And as I mentioned, you can buy an STM32F4Discovery board for 17€ and make your own DIY version. Adding controls would be simple enough as all parameters are midi controllable:

http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=63425.0
Just had one delivered in the mail today! Let's see what I can get it doing...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:55 pm

JayEm wrote:

au contrair

[/bbvideo]

;)
Bet he pulled it back out of the skip and put it on eBay :lol: