AKAI AX-73

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Baus

AKAI AX-73

Post by Baus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 pm

Hello All,

Just curious, because since last week I own an Akai AX-73, are there any other
Akai AX-73 users here?

Robin.

PolyMTL
Gear: AKAI AX73
ROLAND JUNO-6
YAMAHA CS-15
YAMAHA CS-50

Re: AKAI AX-73

Post by PolyMTL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:12 am

First synth I ever bought. Learned everything on it about synthesis and harmony. I love it to death! I've bought and sold many synths after the AX73 and I still own it :) There are a lot of unique things about it that most people ignore. It's just sad it has no sliders.

Perfect for cold, disturbing and extreme sounds.

Recently I even found a way to detune the VCOs one against each other in the poly mode (just like on the new Prophet 6).

Baus

Post by Baus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love it too. It's not my first synth, but it's my first analog synth.
And it's a keeper!

That osc detuning sounds interesting, PolyMTL.

Care to share? What kind of chip do you have in your AX-73?
I think mine is the v1.1 and I think there's also a v1.3

Thanks,

Robin.
The Netherlands

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:26 pm

I have an AKAI AX-80. Not the same model, but it must be very similar. It's a bit of a pain to program, but it does have a uniquely cold, barren sound that sets it apart from other analog polyphonics in my opinion. It's the complete opposite of the Juno series, and I love that.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

dayglo98
Gear: Casio VZ-1
Korg DW-6000
Akai AX73
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha V50
Casio MT-100
Farfisa TK62

Post by dayglo98 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Hey I have an AX73 too, first synth I ever bought, that was like 2 months ago.

I like it alot but it has a weird swooshing sound in the background that wont go away..maybe some capacitor is dead/leaking. The swooshing even goes on when Im not playing, if I put the volume loud enough. Actually I recall running the synth's output thru a scope and it's as if PWM is always on.

Otherwise great synth ! I see no reason to sell it EVER. Not too hard to program and I love the filter on it. Some examples from the AX :

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:18 pm

dayglo98 wrote: a weird swooshing sound in the background that wont go away
Turn off the chorus.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:29 am

Kenneth wrote:I have an AKAI AX-80. Not the same model, but it must be very similar. It's a bit of a pain to program, but it does have a uniquely cold, barren sound that sets it apart from other analog polyphonics in my opinion. It's the complete opposite of the Juno series, and I love that.
Actually the AX-80 has basically nothing in common other than being made by Akai. It has DCOs (2 per voice) and a different filter (CEM3372).
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

dayglo98
Korg DW-6000
Akai AX73
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha V50
Casio MT-100
Farfisa TK62

Post by dayglo98 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 am

meatballfulton wrote:
dayglo98 wrote: a weird swooshing sound in the background that wont go away
Turn off the chorus.
Hmm, I hope you're joking. I said that I am new to synths, not that I am aurally challenged :lol:

Chorus is off, anything regarding modulation is off. My AX is unplugged right now but I'm fairly sure that if you don't play a note the chorus won't sound. Even if it did, it's off.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:22 am

Actually if active the chorus circuit is always wooshing away no matter if a key is pressed or not. True on the Junos too. Yours may need calibration or replacement chips.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

dayglo98
Korg DW-6000
Akai AX73
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha V50
Casio MT-100
Farfisa TK62

Post by dayglo98 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 am

Oh ok, even if it looks like PWM when looking at the scope, it does sound like chorus. Even then I say it looks like PWM but this is just what some other people told me when I mentioned that the triangle wave keeps moving between triangle and sine, and the square keeps moving between square-ish and some freak waveforms. I might take it to the repair shop as I paid a ridiculously low price anyways so it's all good.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:30 pm

synthparts wrote:
Kenneth wrote:I have an AKAI AX-80. Not the same model, but it must be very similar. It's a bit of a pain to program, but it does have a uniquely cold, barren sound that sets it apart from other analog polyphonics in my opinion. It's the complete opposite of the Juno series, and I love that.
Actually the AX-80 has basically nothing in common other than being made by Akai. It has DCOs (2 per voice) and a different filter (CEM3372).
Oh, sorry.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Baus

Post by Baus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Yes, the wooshing is the chorus.

I love those displays on the AX-80 too.

Still very much wanting to know how PolyMTL got those 6 voices detuned.

What's the trick?

PolyMTL
Gear: AKAI AX73
ROLAND JUNO-6
YAMAHA CS-15
YAMAHA CS-50

Post by PolyMTL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 am

I don't have access to the synth right now so I'll do my best ;)

Unlike many budget poly analogs from that era, the AX73 has analogue envelopes instead of CPU controlled ones (JX-8P, Matrix-6 come to mind). That means that they are imperfect! What's more, you have the opportunity to direct the second envelope to the VCOs (parameter 04). Take advantage of that. Experiment as there are many ways to use this trick. Here are the things you need to do when you start FROM SCRATCH for a basic example:

20: A=F (in order to leave envelope 2 for the VCO exclusively)

A - 21: start with 0
D - 22: anything you like, really- let's say 60
S - 23: 0
R - 24: 0

A - 25: 0
D - 26: 0
S - 27: start with something like 25 - level will vary from one voice to the other!
R - 28: 0

04: increase slowly and listen to the effect. You can alternate between 04 and 25 to adjust the spread. Try using low 04 and high 25, or the other way round.

Now if you want to get realease, you'll have to think things a bit differently. Here's what I do: I plug a dummy quarter inch adaptor in the SUSTAIN (in the back of the synth). This way, sustain is always on. The decay (22) will become a release, in a way. Combined with envelope amount on the VCF, this can be really fun and classy.

In my opinion, this is worth experimenting with since it makes the AX73 more organic and "human".

You can always key transpose to tune the synth back to natural C

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Post by Calgonstudio » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Bought an AX73, a few years back, I like it but don't use it that often, I do like the sounds but I use my AX60 more.

Baus

Post by Baus » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:33 pm

Aaaah....yes.....I hear some slight difference in harmonic contents with that trick. Nice.
I was already thinking in that direction but I had not found out yet how to do it. Thanks

Yes, AX-60 is a nice synth too...but different.

A few days ago I connected the AX-73 to the AKAI S5000 and sampled 5 tones of the sound I was working on, just as a quick experiment. Had the AX-73 running through the S5000 FX Board and mixed in the dry sampled version of the sound as well. I was amazed. In that way I can use the S5000 as additional oscillators. I can't wait to get that cable fixed an run the S5000 back through the AX-73's Filters and Envelopes.