Roland Plug-Out Synth System-1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Lovecraft

Roland Plug-Out Synth System-1

Post by Lovecraft » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:44 pm

What does everyone (anyone) think of the Roland System-1 Plug-out Synth. I own one and at first was extremely frustrated because it only held 8 patches. Now, They improved it to 64 patches. But Is the synth worth it? Is the entire Roland Aira Series worth it? I own everything but the Voice/Vocal Unit. I love the TR-8 and the TB-3. The System mx-1 Mixer is "OK" but it's a bit limited when it comes to analog equipment. It's made to be a cross between mixing the Aira gear and any other analog type gear you might use.

Any thoughts on the System-1? or even the other Roland Aira gear?

Thanks!

Solyaris

Re: Roland Plug-Out Synth System-1

Post by Solyaris » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:20 am

I've not owned the System-1 but I've given it several demos at music stores cause I've really considered it. I could never buy the keyboard version because the keybed is awful, imo. However, the System-1m has got my attention a bit. If I were after a VA then I'd probably get it because I love the Roland sound... but I am somewhat ashamed to say I'm a bit of an analog purist when it comes to analog synthesis. I just have a hard time parting cash for virtual analog. Do you have the SH-101 plug out?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:50 am

I've mixed a band that had a System 1, it sounded really good on a big PA. Didn't sound like a VA at all.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:03 am

It sounds good, but it's sort of physically awkward. Still a nice synth though, and flexible enough for most.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:05 am

Lovecraft wrote:What does everyone (anyone) think of the Roland System-1 Plug-out Synth. I own one and at first was extremely frustrated because it only held 8 patches. Now, They improved it to 64 patches. But Is the synth worth it? Is the entire Roland Aira Series worth it? I own everything but the Voice/Vocal Unit. I love the TR-8 and the TB-3. The System mx-1 Mixer is "OK" but it's a bit limited when it comes to analog equipment. It's made to be a cross between mixing the Aira gear and any other analog type gear you might use.

Any thoughts on the System-1? or even the other Roland Aira gear?

Thanks!
If you already own "own everything but the Voice/Vocal Unit," it appears you've already determined that "the entire Roland Aira Series [is] worth it," don't you think? You've already bought it all!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:46 am

I'm assuming his spouse had a look at the expense bills and said "WTF, did you buy even more of this synth junk? It's not worth it, you're staying on the sofa for 3 weeks, mister!"

FX23

Post by FX23 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:24 pm

;)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:42 pm

I like the System-1 crappy keybed and all. These keys are full size, which to me is the correct cost-tradeoff vs. dreaded mini-keys. I would have paid extra for better key action. Likes: sound quality, OS upgrades and new features, arpeggiator, small form factor, price. Dislikes: control mapping references get a little cryptic for the plugouts and new features. Roland please release the TR-606 soundset for the TR-8 pronto. Its been a year and a half waiting.

Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:30 am

Hi.... Thanks for the replies. To answer one question I do own the sh-101 pullout along with the promars and sh-2 plug-ins. I own all the updates for the TR series sounds the 8x8 9x9 and 7x7 series sounds.

The keyboard on the System-1 is c**p all around. Worse than a toy piano. no pressure or velocity only 25 keys and they just feel plain cheap. Does it look cool... Heck yes! All lit up... And there are plenty of VA knobs to tweak.

I think I'm going to sell it though. I just don't use it. I'm heading back to my old school days of analog. VA doesn't bother me so there isn't an issue there. I love my Gaia sh-01. I think I'm sticking with the multiple synths, racks and instruments which actually work/perform without the need to be plugged into a computer all the time. So much easier. I'm definitely keeping the TR-8 and the TB-3 but the MX-1 is another piece which doesn't fit unless you are going for the entire AIRA setup.

The Modular System-1m looks interesting too but that's untouched territory for me.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Turns out that if you use the modular patching of the System 1m you cannot use MIDI at all. The patching only works in mono mode, so don't all get excited about a patchable 4-voice polysynth.

There are two sets of MIDI jacks one on the back (for tabletop use) and one on the bottom (for rack use). When racked you can't get at the power switch....why do mfrs do this? USB is only on the front panel so the cable is on the front of the rack, smooth move Roland :?

Only good news is that rack ears, AC supply and power cable for Eurorack use are all included.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:27 pm

I recently got the keyboard version. For my needs, I think it's awesome. I love the keyboard and the small size - much easier on my back. It was the new OS update that sold me, with 6 new waveforms and 64 patch slots, plenty for me now. We even DIY'ed a box so I can carry it around with a TR-8. Both the 4-voice VA and all the plugouts sound great! I use the analog outs and never the USB.

sawwave

Post by sawwave » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm thinking about adding the system 1m to my minibrute. The firmware update seems to be nice, with added (simple) velocity & aftertouch support and patching with the plug-outs.

Does anyone know about the note priority the system 1m is using in mono-mode? A low-note on the system with a high-note priority on the minibrute, while rooting both to the LPF in the minibrute might be really interesting. But it's probably last-note only?

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:57 am

hey sorry to bring up this thread again but I just bought a system 1 keyboard and am pretty excited about this thing even though I did buy it used for less than 1/2 retail

this thing transmits arpeggio over midi which is pretty cool, how many synths do that even though they all should, the plug out thing is neat and I hope they keep going with it, this is a cool board to get things done in a compact space, it sounds good and I really don't mind the key action even though yes it's not great, basically I just think the whole aira line is overpriced, if you can pick these units up 1/2 price new in the box like I did they're great for what they are and you can get a lot done without too much stress

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 pm

The V-Synth can be set up to send arpeggiator output over MIDI. That's the only one I know of, off the top of my head.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:15 am

cornutt wrote:The V-Synth can be set up to send arpeggiator output over MIDI. That's the only one I know of, off the top of my head.
The Ultranova does also.