Rossum Electro Music - E-Mu coming back?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Rossum Electro Music - E-Mu coming back?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:45 am

Anybody else seen this: https://www.amazona.de/interview-dave-r ... -teil-4/9/

English version isn't available yet but it appears that Dave Rossum of E-Mu Systems is coming out with some new stuff in a few months. Looks like digital Euro stuff to start off with, with the possibility of analogue later on. My German is very rusty indeed. Anyway this is pretty exciting news!

https://www.facebook.com/rossumelectro?_rdr=p

http://www.rossum-electro.com

https://twitter.com/RossumElectro

As a side note I was also happy to learn from the interview that the 'magic' pitch shifting algorithm of the SP-1200 is just sample-dropping and, one would assume, sample-padding to pitch down. Should be nice and easy to duplicate...

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Rossum Electro Music - E-Mu coming back?

Post by kuroichi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:25 am

I read a the translated versions, which were very interesting.

The last part in particular gave me the sense that he is interested in furthering some very original ideas, so hopefully that is what we will all get to see in future. I think with the whole 'analog revival' of the moment, innovation is being pushed to side slightly in favour of rehashes of some variety. Regardless there are some great things on the horizon lately, quite strange when I think of all the 'Will Roland ever do analog again?' etc threads of the past.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 am

Ah but he's talking about a Euro release, and in the Euro world analogue has been very thoroughly explored and a lot of the new designs coming out are pushing the edges of digital design.

Personally I'd put my money on it being a Euro Z-Plane filter or something like that.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:52 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Anybody else seen this: https://www.amazona.de/interview-dave-r ... -teil-4/9/

English version isn't available yet but it appears that Dave Rossum of E-Mu Systems is coming out with some new stuff in a few months. Looks like digital Euro stuff to start off with, with the possibility of analogue later on. My German is very rusty indeed.
The entire interview is rather long, but the final abstract...
https://www.amazona.de/interview-dave-rossum-e-mu-teil-4/9/ wrote: Dave:
Rossum Electro-Music wird hochqualitative Musik Hardware produzieren, die v.a. auch Spaß in der Bedienung bereiten soll – ganz im Sinne der klassischen E-MU Tradition. Wir werden mit analoger Technologie arbeiten und einige interessante, digitale Innovationen vorstellen. Zudem liegt unser Fokus auf der Qualität und Zuverlässigkeit.

Unsere ersten Produkte, von denen Ihr im Winter mehr erfahren werdet, werden einzigartige Module für das wachsende Eurorack System sein. Wir gingen von Ideen aus, die wir bereits bei E-MU entwickelt hatten, und kombinieren sie mit heutiger Technologie, was eine große Bandbreite neuer, kreativer Möglichkeiten eröffnet. Unsere Begeisterung ist sehr groß, und wir hoffen, dass die Eurorack Leute diese teilen werden. Was danach kommen wird, werden wir sehen. Im Moment macht mir das einfach eine Menge Spaß.
... roughly translates to:

"Rossum Electro-Music will produce high quality music hardware which, above all, is also intended to be fun to operate - just as in classic E-MU tradition. We will work with analog technology and present some interesting digital innovations. Furthermore, we are focusing on quality and reliability.

Our first products, about which you will learn more in winter, will be unique modules for the growing Eurorack system. We started from ideas we already developed at E-MU and combine them with today's technology, which opens a large band width of new, creative possibilities. We are very enthusiastic, and we hope that the Eurorack people will be as well. We will see what comes after. At the moment, it is just giving me a great time."

HTH
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 am

Awesome. He's a gifted designer.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks for the translation Weirdofromouterspace, confirms most of what I thought.

I think a Z Plane filter in modular format could be pretty amazing with all the modulation options available. Kind of like how wavetable oscs are great in modular form.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah seen that a few weeks back, great guy! If anything's further unclear from the Google Translation, let us know and we German speakers can translate :thumbleft:

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:06 pm

pflosi wrote:If anything's further unclear from the Google Translation, let us know and we German speakers can translate :thumbleft:
Yep. GoogleTranslate can sometimes come up with... erm... funny results, y'know 8-) . If in doubt, just ask =D> .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 pm

REM Modular? REM Audity?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Baus

Post by Baus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 am

Yes, by now we know it's a 14-Pole Z-Plane Filter in Euro format. :D

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Post by blueknob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 am

On one message board, people are asking about the thought that Behringer are considering making a synth. I would think, now they have influence in the "industry" they could well be in discussions with Rossum/Smith et.al. That would surely would yield a great result!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 am

Not that I'm interested in it at all, but.... There are indeed news regarding that B€hringer synth, but it's their Midas division that are doing it. Certainly not Dave Rossum or Smith.

No real facts so far; not an Oddy clone, cheap-ish, analog.

German source: https://www.amazona.de/exklusiv-the-new ... izer-2016/

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 am

He should totally brand his new products "Rossum's Universal Reboots"

:ugeek:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 am

Baus wrote:Yes, by now we know it's a 14-Pole Z-Plane Filter in Euro format. :D
It looks to be amazing, more powerful than the original implementation on the Morpheus. His VCF looks to be amazing too- the slope can be modulated.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 pm

It's cool to see digital becoming commonplace in the modular world. Waiting to see the first 100% digital modular :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.