Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:02 am

Amazona believes in an ARP 2600

For those of you who don't read German, this is roughly what they write:

"ARP 2600 re-issue by Korg?

Now summer is getting hotter than it already is anyway. At least for synth enthusiasts. On their official Instagram channel, KORG recently published the following picture which now creates quite some rumor.

Apparently this is a sticker for a product, which appears to be limited to 3,000 specimens. It is obvious to assume it might be a serial production of the ARP 2600. It would be logical. Let us sum up:

First the vintage hype about the MS20, then the brilliant coup with the ARP Odyssey reissue – as KORG ARP ODYSSEY, as it were, but obviously legitimated by the ARP brand name rights owners.

In the meantime, a DIY product of the legendary ARP 2600, which is practically impossible to get used – and if at all for utopian prices from 6,000 Euros up – under the name TTSH Two-Thousand-Six-Hundred created quite a stir (AMAZONA.de will shortly report about this project in detail).

Just yesterday, Steffen Ahmad, who already assembled two TTSH himself, sent us a picture of his brand new TTSH and gave an accompanying interview (interview will be issued together with the TTSH article).

Such high market presence provided, it is after all the law of supply and demand which rules, and KORG has proved in the last years that they listen closely when a hype develops "out there" that could be used commercially.

Besides a KORG ARP 2600, of course other products from KORG history would be imaginable. What about, for instance, a KORG PS-3100 or KORG PS-3200?

A real dream – but rather unlikely at the moment, since only real lovers know and esteem them, whereas the ARP 2600 is something like the "Blue Mauritius" among stamps.

Discussion about logical or illogical assumptions has now been opened. We expect not to have too much time for that. At the latest by the end of August, KORG certainly will let the cat -... erm, the KORG ARP 2600 … out of the bag, wanna bet?"

Source: https://www.amazona.de/top-news-korg-arp-2600/ (as linked above)
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Since I have already got a 2600, I'd be delighted by a PS-3200.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Wow, if it's an ARP 2600 that would be amazing! There's 9 versions of that instrument to chose from: Blue Marvin, Gray Meanie..orange-on-black...

I have two TTSH's but I'm excited if it's a 2600. Not necessarily for me but for those that don't want to go the DIY route.

The idea of a PS-3200 sounds sweet too!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 pm

It better have minikeys or I won't buy it :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:42 pm

I believe it's the shortage of ivory tinted plastic that's caused manufacturers to resort to minikeys! :D

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:38 am

Reginator wrote:I believe it's the shortage of ivory tinted plastic that's caused manufacturers to resort to minikeys! :D
The miniature plastic elephant is now on the endangered species list.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 am

Nah it's a direct response to synth hoarders, can fit more in ye see ;)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:49 pm

A new 2600 would be pretty badass but I would rather see Korg just make a new analog synth.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Anything that is not an exact replica of a vintage synthesizer is not allowed under article 15, chapter 7 of the Gearslutz Code of Analog Purity.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:11 pm

wiss wrote:A new 2600 would be pretty badass but I would rather see Korg just make a new analog synth.
Its quite clear Korg are not up to their eyeballs in debt like England so there is no reason at all as to why they are unable to bring out a Koork Analog synth mini keys , ful size keys who cares just bring it out, the answer is very easy they cant its all been done long ago.
yamoto773

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:13 pm

another miniature keyboard for people with little girlyhands.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:25 pm

More badly made miniature re-creations of old stuff please Korg

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:More badly made miniature re-creations of old stuff please Korg
How are they badly made?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 pm

seamonkey wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote:More badly made miniature re-creations of old stuff please Korg
How are they badly made?

They are in every way, Ms20 mini is a disgrace , it's flimsy and noisy as h**l. Got mine 2 weeks and sold it , lost 100€ on the deal and would not think on spending 1000€ on a re issue with mini keys for the Arp. Also the Arp is cheaper to made ( no patch panel , no patch cords etc..) than the ms20 yet they sell it for twice more...

I started to get my hopes in Korg but in reality they're c**p products (analog ones). My 366€ Bass Station 2 can do almost everything as good as both of these for the cost of 1500€

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Noisy compared to what? An original MS20?