Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Re: Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Post by vinyl_junkie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 am

The MS-20 mini is a utter disgrace.

The original MS-20 with the Korg 35 filter has the same noise bleed but that's not really the main issue albeit I think the new 20 mini actually has a slightly higher noise floor when nothing is playing.

The pots are absolutely terrible and whilst the synth is probs stable it will go out of tune cos the c**p pots, you get digital noise/hiss (guessing from the PSU) that randomly gets louder and quieter, the keyboard is utter garbage, how the h**l can they get away with that patch bay (the jacks aren't nutted, they are fake plastic things made to look like nuts), the DC thump the envelopes make (I don't remember it on the original or to be as loud)

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I have one but it's utter s**t.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:47 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:The MS-20 mini is a utter disgrace.

The original MS-20 with the Korg 35 filter has the same noise bleed but that's not really the main issue albeit I think the new 20 mini actually has a slightly higher noise floor when nothing is playing.

The pots are absolutely terrible and whilst the synth is probs stable it will go out of tune cos the c**p pots, you get digital noise/hiss (guessing from the PSU) that randomly gets louder and quieter, the keyboard is utter garbage, how the h**l can they get away with that patch bay (the jacks aren't nutted, they are fake plastic things made to look like nuts), the DC thump the envelopes make (I don't remember it on the original or to be as loud)

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I have one but it's utter s**t.
Exactely !

i don't remember now as i had a MS20 15years ago but don't remember any thump from Enveloppes...

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying your comment with personal experience.
I wasn't sure if it was someone just venting on a forum about Korg's products as we see so often.

Another reason I asked is I have the Korg Odyssey and haven't noticed any inferior build quality with it.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Aren't there any trimmers in the MS20mini? I've had to trim EGs and VCAs in my analogs in the past to get rid of clicks and thumps. Goes with the territory.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm

The only trimmers I've noticed in mine have to do with tuning/scaling.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

bodacious

Post by bodacious » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:42 pm

yeah, and what's up with korg taking a bunch of their older manuals off their site?!?!? how lame.
Don't get me started with synth makers in general. I've noticed over the last decade or so how NO REAL NEW synths are being put out?!?! Get any catalog from AMS or MF and you'll see hardly any synths for sale. very lame.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 pm

wiss wrote:A new 2600 would be pretty badass but I would rather see Korg just make a new analog synth.
That's the crossroads they cant make a new synth so reproduce former ones , its gone full circle really, its like asking actor Keir Dullea a question about 2001 A Space Odyssey he has not already answered over the last 40 years .
yamoto773

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Er, the original instagram link that set this post up seems to have been taken down. It has been over a month since that post and no announcements have been made. I think Korg is up to nothing.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:50 pm

On the other hand Korg hardly ever pre-announce anything these days... the ms20 mini and karp odyycat came out of absolutely nowhere :.)

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:31 am

Korg released a new teaser today:

A piccolo trumpet perhaps?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:02 am

Maybe they're doing a reissue of Paul McCartney?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 pm

a korgotron
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 am

commodorejohn wrote:Maybe they're doing a reissue of Paul McCartney?
Hopefully it is the pre-1967 version. But the "Penny Lane" reference makes me think it will be the later "Faul" variant, which used cheaper components. Maybe you'll be able to switch between them?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:20 am

Ha ha ha, wow.

Okay, if you guys are going to bash the MS-20 Mini, I'm going to have to ask you to have played an original MS-20. Yeah, it was bigger, but the knobs were total bullshit... loose and crappy. The Mini knobs may be small and of mediocre quality, but at least they have some resistance and play like quality knobs despite their simplicity.

Have any of you actually PLAYED an original MS-20? I've owned three. The knobs were s**t... they offered no resistance whatsoever, and felt like the crappiest things ever compared to their contemporaries. Yes, Mini knobs feel like they could tolerate less abuse, but at least they offer resistance.

Ugh. People will say anything.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:30 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:People will say anything.