Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Korg Might Be Up To Something.

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 am

^ I think the point is they wobble like all s**t, plus those laughable plastic nuts glued on over the patchbay jacks to make them appear to be solid. At least the original had proper nuts securing decent quality pots and jacks to the front panel, and even if you're trying to argue about something negligible like a lower physical resistance compared to something like the CTS pots on a Minimoog they still s**t on anything Korg use now.

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:09 am

Do you think this: https://trademarks.justia.com/866/99/mi ... 99642.html is somehow related?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ugh. People will say anything.
C'mon Mark, we all know that the old stuff is always better than the new stuff. Even when it isn't :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Have any of you actually PLAYED an original MS-20? I've owned three. The knobs were s**t... they offered no resistance whatsoever, and felt like the crappiest things ever compared to their contemporaries. Yes, Mini knobs feel like they could tolerate less abuse, but at least they offer resistance.
Funny that Marc, the MS-20's right here beside me definitely have resistance. In fact the response is just about perfect. Perhaps yours hadn't rusted enough? Or you have overtly muscular arms?

haj

Post by haj » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:50 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Have any of you actually PLAYED an original MS-20? I've owned three. The knobs were s**t... they offered no resistance whatsoever, and felt like the crappiest things ever compared to their contemporaries. Yes, Mini knobs feel like they could tolerate less abuse, but at least they offer resistance.
Funny that Marc, the MS-20's right here beside me definitely have resistance. In fact the response is just about perfect. Perhaps yours hadn't rusted enough? Or you have overtly muscular arms?
Ditto here

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 pm

I have 3 ms20's....never had any issue with the feel the pots.

The ms series are very well made and as a service tech I find the pots respond well to contact spray.

The electrolytic caps are an issue at the moment....best replace them.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:52 pm

I've tried the MS-20 Kit version in person and the knobs are a major improvement over the Mini version. All of them all feel solid and non-wobbly just like how the Mini's volume knob is.

stephenjbennett

Post by stephenjbennett » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 am

Re-Member wrote:I've tried the MS-20 Kit version in person and the knobs are a major improvement over the Mini version. All of them all feel solid and non-wobbly just like how the Mini's volume knob is.
I had the mini and swapped it for the kit as I hated the keys. The kit feels secure, solid and the patchbay robust.

Sounds great too!

Stephen

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ha ha ha, wow.

Okay, if you guys are going to bash the MS-20 Mini, I'm going to have to ask you to have played an original MS-20. Yeah, it was bigger, but the knobs were total bullshit... loose and crappy. The Mini knobs may be small and of mediocre quality, but at least they have some resistance and play like quality knobs despite their simplicity.

Have any of you actually PLAYED an original MS-20? I've owned three. The knobs were s**t... they offered no resistance whatsoever, and felt like the crappiest things ever compared to their contemporaries. Yes, Mini knobs feel like they could tolerate less abuse, but at least they offer resistance.

Ugh. People will say anything.
Awww... I kinda like the loose knobs (this is an awesome name for 70s punk band). They feel just like the ones on my Delta!

(besides, I'd rather have those than the oddly crusty hard-to-spin ones on my Prophet-5)
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:46 pm

https://instagram.com/p/7DZikMCpko/?tak ... rgofficial
Any thoughts? It's definitely Beatles-related.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm

First impression: it does not appear to have mini keys.

Are they going for a mellotron resurrection? So, what then? - tape loops running inside or grungy sample playback?

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Or Hohner Pianet :) . Some kind of virtual electric piano? Who knows. It looks a bit like King Korg, but it doesn't make a sense to me. We will see.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Maybe it's an SV1 replacement.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 pm

http://www.korg.com/in/

Link to the 'Liverpool Professional Arranger' leads to a (and I quote) 'Page could not found' 404 error, however.

It appears to be a special edition of the Micro Arranger with a UK flag on top...
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Weirdofromouterspace wrote:http://www.korg.com/in/

Link to the 'Liverpool Professional Arranger' leads to a (and I quote) 'Page could not found' 404 error, however.

It appears to be a special edition of the Micro Arranger with a UK flag on top...
Photo just leaked on the internets...