Buchla LEM systems?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smith toppleton

Buchla LEM systems?

Post by smith toppleton » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:35 am

These have been on sale for over a month now, but I've yet to hear/see/read anything about them. Am I just not looking hard enough? I'm curious about the Snoopy.

I've played around on the new music easel and apart from the shoddy build quality I really like the layout and sound of it.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Buchla LEM systems?

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Shoddy build quality? Not sure I agree there, the easel is solid.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:15 am

There was some legal shenanigans going on between Don and the new owners of Buchla which I'm not sure if it has been resolved yet, this could be delaying the new systems getting into people's hands. I've gotta say that Easel K looks mighty tasty, I hadn't seen that before.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:13 am

The Klingon Easel! Each plate can be independently tuned and configured, right? It does look nice.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've gotta say that Easel K looks mighty tasty, I hadn't seen that before.
The Easel K is an odd band aid. They can't get the manufacturing for the 218 figured out, so they throw a 223e module in there. The 223e is total overkill in this context. The 223e has 19 voltage outputs, the 208 has 9 voltage inputs, 3 of which are dedicated to oscillator pitch. FYI: you can't stack on the inputs :( . The 223e has 9 trigger outputs, the 208 has 1 trigger input.
One interesting, unique, and versatile aspect of the 223e is that the touch surface-to-module settings are completely customizable, and when you have a 225e or 206e preset manager, you can save those settings. Having the 223e in the Easel, you have no preset manager, so every time you turn it back on, you have to reset the 223e from scratch. Sound fun?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:50 am

I've got quite a few more than 19 voltage inputs in my system. ;)

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've got quite a few more than 19 voltage inputs in my system. ;)

Well yes, if you have an entire system to interface it with, I could see it being more attractive, but within the context of a stand-alone instrument like the Easel, it's a kind of a desperate pairing.