Miles Davis, Tutu, synthesizers and Jason Miles

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Miles Davis, Tutu, synthesizers and Jason Miles

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm

In the past few weeks I've been (re) listening Tutu by Miles Davis, it was a record that back in the 80's really impressed me but I was too young and not interested in synthesizers so I only payed attention to the artistic side of the album, without wondering about the tech or gears involved, not that are important aspects, music and art come first obviously and you can create wonderful and ispiring music with a one string guitar :roll: , anyway this time I was curious about the synths used on this album, I was only sure that a DX7 was there, I didn't find much on the internet but I discovered that a PPG Wave 2.3, Emulator 2, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha TX rack, DX7, Prophet 5 and Linn 9000 drum machine were used, and that the man behind all the (great) synth programming was Jason Miles...

I found all those info, and many many others interesting things about Jason Miles "relationship" and ideas about synths in this Sound on Sound article, I thought that it was a good idea to share it with the forum :D :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct99/a ... /jason.htm

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Re: Miles Davis, Tutu, synthesizers and Jason Miles

Post by analoglsd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Cool article. Thanks for sharing.