What drum machine is this snare from?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HermanTheTosser

What drum machine is this snare from?

Post by HermanTheTosser » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to locate the source of this snare, I'm 99% sure I've heard it on a drum machine before (possibly an MPC but I may be wrong)

(Snare examples)

Any help is appreciated :)

the synthman

Re: What drum machine is this snare from?

Post by the synthman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Well if it's a sample, it could be just about be any thing. I mean, sampling opens the door to be able to sample ANYTHING and use it as a drum sound. Look at Depeche mode. They sampled lots of stuff and turned it into a drum sound. I'd say, your basically looking for a needle in a haystack!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Wherever the original sample is from, or what drum machine had it, it has been pitch transposed way up to give it that short snappy. To sort it out sample one of the examples, and pitch it back down.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:45 pm

While we're on the subject, what snare is this? I know all the sounds are coming from one machine, as they are used throughout the album, He Said "Hail" 1986[youtube][/youtube]

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:40 am

garranimal wrote:Wherever the original sample is from, or what drum machine had it, it has been pitch transposed way up to give it that short snappy. To sort it out sample one of the examples, and pitch it back down.
That's exactly what I was thinking, some random romper acoustic kit snare pitched up to tighten it up.

To the OP check out the snares on the Roland workstations, there's a truckload of similar snares in the Fantom and I'm sure the current models would be similar, or just try a snare sample in a sampler, then pitch it up a bit with some short short release on the envelope, should be easy! ;)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Pitched up Amen Break snare

LBN

Post by LBN » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:While we're on the subject, what snare is this? I know all the sounds are coming from one machine, as they are used throughout the album, He Said "Hail" 1986[youtube][/youtube]
To me it sounds like the original source of the sample is Led Zep's "When the Levee Breaks". It shows up on a lot of Keith LeBlanc/Adrian Sherwood stuff from around that time.