How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Chummy

How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Post by Chummy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:17 pm

A complete noobie. Is it possible for me, to pick up an air brush, mask the writings and paint them (maybe) and the rest of my synth? My Yamaha KX5 is begging to be restored, although fully operational in a bad comsetic condition and I have no idea where to start, what would I need etc.. I saw some youtube vid but IDK if I need to wash the Metal (yeah, it's mostly metal and some plastic) after I extract the panels of the exterior what color should I be using? brush? what to use for mask? drying time? etc.

any help would be appreciated. ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:31 pm

I'd like suggestions, too... my Ensoniq SQR had all the print worn off the front and honestly i'd like to sell it.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Me too, I have an SH-09 that has much of the writing rubbed off around several knobs from years of use from its previous owner. I'd love to get it back to it's original state but there is no way I can afford to have it done by a restorer as it costs an absolute fortune. I'm a graphic designer and can easily re-create the text and lines accurately in Illustrator, just don't know how to get from that to actually re-spraying it!!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:47 am

You don't spray it, you screen it. Look up a few youtube videos on screenprinting on metal, I'm sure there's lots. Once you've got the panel graphic done and scaled correctly etc find your local screen printing supply place who can make a screen up for you (one for each colour you're printing. This will be the biggest expense, might as well pay for a professional job seeing as you're going to be looking at the synth for a long time) and then you just need to strip the case back to bare metal, spray paint it (or have it powdercoated, more expensive but will give you a professional finish) and then screen the panel graphics back on. It's not going to be an easy task but if you think you can do it then go for it!

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:03 pm

On the relatively cheap side, model train makers are your friend. Tiny miniature type decals are available in a good variety of sizes, fonts, and colors. Just right for detail panel labeling.
Kinda comical though because there is a learning curve before getting it right (tiny lettering placement is a hoot).

Once laid down you can't clearcoat enough.
(I put down at least five good layers...and then there's the wet sanding)

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:It's not going to be an easy task but if you think you can do it then go for it!
On the opposite side of the spectrum: a spray-can of rustoleum and a sharpie.

(A joke, but I have actually seen that done surprisingly well...)

FredSynthstone

Post by FredSynthstone » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Has anyone - Chummy, Ashe37 or sandwich - gone through with this? If so, how did it work out?

I'm thinking of doing the same with a Sequential MAX I've bought from ebay... It works great, but one of the side panels are cracked. And then there's the basic look of the Sequential Max... Probably one of the ugliest synthesizers out there?

I'm not shy to admit that I'm vain about my synthesizers. Sure, if it sounds and feels good, that's one thing... but when it also looks great, it's pure aestetic pleasure!

So I'm thinking of redoing the paint to make it look more like a SixTrak/ProOne/Prophet 600.

There's not a lot controls on it, though (not even any menu diving for programming) so there shouldn't be too much lettering. Would decals be the best way to go?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:24 pm

I rescreened / painted a Jupiter-6. I sent the panels to CustomSynth UK :) came back looking gorgeous!

FredSynthstone

Post by FredSynthstone » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:50 pm

StepLogik wrote:I rescreened / painted a Jupiter-6. I sent the panels to CustomSynth UK :) came back looking gorgeous!
How much did it cost you?

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 am

I'v done a fair bit of decorating synths etc - I'v got pics on my facebook page (Tom Cadillac) if you want to check things out. But this probably wouldn't suit something classic.
You can get some nice ink pens from model shops. Also sharpies are good in silver and gold.
Stickers are good also and the front panel is all the audience is ever going to see. I hate being an advert for some megacorp - the DW800 I'v been playing live a lot lately can be seen on the pics on the bancamp vitamin_s page.

I'm planning to play my little nord modular live next week - it has a rasta red green and gold sticker over the nord logo. I hate the whole "heh I'm a hip popstar keyboard player with an expensive nord" thing. Maybe its just inverted snobery? But I'm using the nord cause its portable and provides a nice expansive palatte of elctronic sounds, not to emulaulate old electric piano or classic synth sounds. I hope to dig deep into the warping type modules and get something glitchy and rough out of it. So I kinda feel it needs to be distinguished from the run of the mill "nord as status symbol" thing. Maybe I should paint it green??? :D
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:30 am

It depends on how far you're prepared to go to create or restore a panel - time, and obviously cost, is something to carefully consider. If you're serious about what you're doing, then be prepared to spend money!

It also depends on what material the panel is made from (Steel/Alu or plastic). Personally, I've never worked on a plastic panel, so I can't really comment.

I wouldn't "spray paint" a metal panel - Get it to a company who can strip and powder coat it to the appropriate base colour. If you're handy with Illustrator or similar, recreate the panel graphics accurately. Finally, find a friendly local screen printer to do the job, but remember that extra colour layers for any panel graphics will cost more.

You can get great results if you do it right - As an example, this laser cut steel panel cost £120 (but you can skip that step), powder coating was £35 and the two colour screen print £145

FredSynthstone

Post by FredSynthstone » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am

tom Cadillac wrote:I'v done a fair bit of decorating synths etc - I'v got pics on my facebook page (Tom Cadillac) if you want to check things out. But this probably wouldn't suit something classic.
You can get some nice ink pens from model shops. Also sharpies are good in silver and gold.
Stickers are good also and the front panel is all the audience is ever going to see. I hate being an advert for some megacorp - the DW800 I'v been playing live a lot lately can be seen on the pics on the bancamp vitamin_s page.

I'm planning to play my little nord modular live next week - it has a rasta red green and gold sticker over the nord logo. I hate the whole "heh I'm a hip popstar keyboard player with an expensive nord" thing. Maybe its just inverted snobery? But I'm using the nord cause its portable and provides a nice expansive palatte of elctronic sounds, not to emulaulate old electric piano or classic synth sounds. I hope to dig deep into the warping type modules and get something glitchy and rough out of it. So I kinda feel it needs to be distinguished from the run of the mill "nord as status symbol" thing. Maybe I should paint it green??? :D
Stay classy! Paint it black! http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Pr ... 630-80.jpg
Broadwave wrote:It depends on how far you're prepared to go to create or restore a panel - time, and obviously cost, is something to carefully consider. If you're serious about what you're doing, then be prepared to spend money!

It also depends on what material the panel is made from (Steel/Alu or plastic). Personally, I've never worked on a plastic panel, so I can't really comment.

I wouldn't "spray paint" a metal panel - Get it to a company who can strip and powder coat it to the appropriate base colour. If you're handy with Illustrator or similar, recreate the panel graphics accurately. Finally, find a friendly local screen printer to do the job, but remember that extra colour layers for any panel graphics will cost more.

You can get great results if you do it right - As an example, this laser cut steel panel cost £120 (but you can skip that step), powder coating was £35 and the two colour screen print £145

That looks absolutely amazing. So much like the original but all shiny and new! TTSH couldn't have done it better.

Well, I'm prepared to do a whole lot. I like the idea of customization and personalization... and I like underdog-synths like the MAX (in no small part due to the fact that I'm a broke college student). I've even bought the Tauntek Mod basically turning it into a SixTrak and a cheap second-hand BCR-2000 that I'm designing an overlay for = cheap fully programmable six voice analog. I've no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon - it's the best analog poly workhorse I'll be able to afford - but in any case the resale value would probably increase if it looks good, is modded and refurbished, I guess?

The MAX panel is metal fortunately. I read about powdercoating and it sounds great! Definitely something I'll look into.
I want to redesign the panel a little to make it look like the classic black SCI panels - SixTrak, ProOne etc. Shouldn't be too hard? Find the right fonts and just create the rounded squares around each section?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:08 pm

FredSynthstone wrote:
StepLogik wrote:I rescreened / painted a Jupiter-6. I sent the panels to CustomSynth UK :) came back looking gorgeous!
How much did it cost you?
I'll see if I can find the invoice. 3 or 4 hundred (US) plus shipping both ways, if memory serves.

Google "white Roland Jupiter-6" for pics. Very nice work. I sold it a few years ago during my great vintage purge.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:09 pm

I think CustomSynth might have used a laminate overlay deal instead of painting proper...

FredSynthstone

Post by FredSynthstone » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:15 pm

StepLogik wrote:I think CustomSynth might have used a laminate overlay deal instead of painting proper...
Yeah, probably easier when there's so many details and different colors.
Screenprinting is one color per screen, no?

Anyway, looks absolutely stunning... still way over my budget, though. Sending to and from the UK from Denmark alone will not make it worth it. And then there's the pure joy of succesful DIY!