How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:04 am

I didn't subscribe to this thread for some reason so I missed the discussion... yeah i am not going to send a $100 SQR out for screen printing that costs more than that...

sandwich

Re: How to DIY repaint a synth (w/ mask, writings...)

Post by sandwich » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:49 pm

FredSynthstone wrote:Has anyone - Chummy, Ashe37 or sandwich - gone through with this? If so, how did it work out?
Hi Fred!
No I haven't got to it yet (still got to do the electrical restoration stuff first on the SH-09) but I'm liking the powder coating and screen printing approach a lot! It looks great and authentic which is what I'm after. I think this would be a good option for SH-09 as it's just a black metal case and one colour for the graphics.

I restored my Moog Prodigy a few years ago but fortunately the paint work was still really good and it didn't need repainting. The wooden panels were in bad shape though, so I spent ages rubbing them down to get a super smooth finish, stained them and then put a protective lacquer on. It turned out superb :D real furniture quality finish! So I've got the bug now ;)