Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cerebral Infect

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Chewy wrote:Good point, Desmond, I was wondering that myself. What if the JX and JU are analog DCO synths like the originals? That would certainly make me much less bummed. Small analog poly modules with all those knobs/sliders? Yes, please.
At 299$ per synth, having analog circuitry in there is to have unrealistic expectation. Look at the DSI quadra, it use 4 "synth on a chips", has less knobs and sell 2.5 times more. At this price, what you can hope it is Midi controller with a DSP synth in it.

That being said, at 299 for a 4 voices DSP synth, it is pretty much bang on the buck. I would have hoped for a 6 voices juno, but hey, it is Roland, they are priding themself in never getting what any musician with decent expectations would want.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:48 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian price is $399 and $499.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Cerebral Infect wrote:That being said, at 299 for a 4 voices DSP synth, it is pretty much bang on the buck. I would have hoped for a 6 voices juno, but hey, it is Roland, they are priding themself in never getting what any musician with decent expectations would want.
True, or getting very close and still somehow conveniently leaving features out. I'd say the 4 voice shortcoming was a deliberate calculation to get people to buy more modules. After all it's DSP, how hard would it have been to slap on a couple more voices? Probably wouldn't cost a whole lot more to do, but I dunno, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to engineering electronics. I understand subtractive synthesis and engineering sounds to make music. I still need to learn the more technical stuff.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 am

Yes, it is a bit unrealistic. I'm pretty sure they're all digital, which is why I said I was bummed. Direct mention of classic analogs... and the products are all VAs. But it is Roland, after all.

I was just saying the conspicuous absence of any mention of ACB in the JU and JX parts was interesting, considering they seem so proud of it.

And also that it would be nice if they were analog. I'd gladly pay the much higher price for an analog synth with the same features/controls as these. Imagine that JP module, but with actual VCOs, VCFs, VCAs - would be fantastic

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:28 am

Chewy wrote:it is Roland, they are priding themself in never getting what any musician with decent expectations would want.
:lol:

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 am

Personally, it doesn't worry me that they're not analogue - It'll all come down to the sound, and ACB is pretty impressive.

It's obvious that these will sell like hot cakes, and I'm wondering if Roland have something bigger up their sleeves - could we possibly hope for a full size JP-08? ;)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:21 am

...and cue people saying the JP-08 doesn't sound like the original the minute sound demos come out :D

desmond

Post by desmond » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:09 am

Roland's teaser campaign manager must be rather annoyed at the moment... :D

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:47 am

Hybrid88 wrote:...and cue people saying the JP-08 doesn't sound like the original the minute sound demos come out :D

Yeah, but to be fair, how could it? It's not easy to replicate an aging, imperfect, analog beast, especially with such little horsepower. But I think there's always room for another synthesizer, be it analog, VA, digital, or whatever. As long as it sounds good and captures the spirit of the Jupiter I'll grab one. I was really impressed with the panel. I thought for sure they'd cut some of the cross modulation or stacking features, but there they are. And they can be chained! Cool stuff.

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 am

desmond wrote:Roland's teaser campaign manager must be rather annoyed at the moment... :D
And what's happening now at zZounds? Scary :shock:
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:31 am

smith toppleton wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:...and cue people saying the JP-08 doesn't sound like the original the minute sound demos come out :D
Yeah, but to be fair, how could it? It's not easy to replicate an aging, imperfect, analog beast, especially with such little horsepower. But I think there's always room for another synthesizer, be it analog, VA, digital, or whatever. As long as it sounds good and captures the spirit of the Jupiter I'll grab one. I was really impressed with the panel. I thought for sure they'd cut some of the cross modulation or stacking features, but there they are. And they can be chained! Cool stuff.
Yeah that's true, look back to the way they marketed the JP-8000 in the 90's it was as though it was another Jupiter 8 and look how that turned out, totally not like a JP8 but great for other sounds, much like a lot of Roland products throughout history ;)

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:22 pm

salwa wrote:
desmond wrote:Roland's teaser campaign manager must be rather annoyed at the moment... :D
And what's happening now at zZounds? Scary :shock:
Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy that let the cat out the bag. Even though its a little tiny cat it's still out the bag. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Chewy wrote:I was just saying the conspicuous absence of any mention of ACB in the JU and JX parts was interesting, considering they seem so proud of it.
Catalog information is not written by the manufacturer, but by the seller. Sometimes the manufacturer will look it over for mistakes, but sometimes not. It should be vetted (before going to print/online) by an editor who has knowledge of the instrument, but that's not always the case, either. I did advertising for a large retailer for years and sometimes we slipped up - that was never very fun for anyone involved, least of all the consumer!

I would be VERY surprised if these weren't ACB, either. I would also be surprised if the pages weren't updated to say so once they go live.

EDIT: small "m" on manufacturer
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:37 pm

smith toppleton wrote:

You can get a lot of dsp for not much money these days.

desmond

Post by desmond » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Chewy wrote:I was just saying the conspicuous absence of any mention of ACB in the JU and JX parts was interesting, considering they seem so proud of it.
Catalog information is not written by the manufacturer, but by the seller.
Isn't it more usually copy/pasted from the (embargoed) press release / info passed on to the seller *by* the manufacturer? The shop isn't going to know all the details and features of an unreleased product unless the manufacturer tells them...