Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Kidney05 wrote:To me it's clear that if this sells well they'll produce more expensive and fledged out gear.
I totally disagree. Usually synth technology goes in the opposite direction, start with a flagship and then if it's successful trickle down to the low end.

Roland introduced their Supernatural tech in the Jupiter 80 first, then the lower priced Jupiter 50 and Integra 7, now it's in the $500 JD-Xi.

Korg developed VA technology in the Oasis which filtered down to the Radias, then the R3 and Microkorg XL.

Yamaha introduced MegaVoices in the Tyros first, then the Motif, then the MO, then the MX.

Since R&D is expensive, the first products using a new technology need to be relatively expensive. The follow-on products don't require the big R&D investment and can be priced lower.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Kidney05 wrote:If they didn't sound like the originals (which is why they have the high quality modeling), what would be the point?
You say that like it's a given that using legacy branding means accurate recreation is necessarily "the point".

zaphod betamax

Post by zaphod betamax » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I have 2 3Ps and one 8P. The 8P has way more bass than the 3Ps, and no the 3Ps are not like those crippled one oscilator Rolands. I run two 3Ps together for a 4 oscillator monster!

Rokk wrote:What does puzzle me is why they went with JX3P. I'd prefer JX8P any day. Imho 3P is not that much different from Junos. Sure it is 2 DCO's and all, but soundwise it still has that soft, darker Junoesque timbre. 8P is a very different sounding synth, but it's true that it excels in strings, pads and leads, but fails at anything requiring substantial low-end. It sounds as if there was a HPF engaged all the time. But those strings and pads are really something!
Maybe they'll do it in the future if the rumor that they will expand the line is true.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Waiting for news update and a video showing how 2 x JP-08 stacks up :D

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:52 pm

masstronaut wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:If they didn't sound like the originals (which is why they have the high quality modeling), what would be the point?
You say that like it's a given that using legacy branding means accurate recreation is necessarily "the point".
" Using Roland's acclaimed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology the JP-08 faithfully reproduces the original Jupiter-8 sounds and adds a few new twists in the form of extra LFOs and expanded VCO range."

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/09/the- ... 08-ju.html

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:02 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:To me it's clear that if this sells well they'll produce more expensive and fledged out gear.
I totally disagree. Usually synth technology goes in the opposite direction, start with a flagship and then if it's successful trickle down to the low end.

Roland introduced their Supernatural tech in the Jupiter 80 first, then the lower priced Jupiter 50 and Integra 7, now it's in the $500 JD-Xi.

Korg developed VA technology in the Oasis which filtered down to the Radias, then the R3 and Microkorg XL.

Yamaha introduced MegaVoices in the Tyros first, then the Motif, then the MO, then the MX.

Since R&D is expensive, the first products using a new technology need to be relatively expensive. The follow-on products don't require the big R&D investment and can be priced lower.
This is a unique case though-- the ACB modeling they use is already in use in the AIRA, it's not a completely new product line. I think Roland is suspicious of how well this 'revival' gear would really sell, or if we're just a small vocal group - hence why it's a limited run and all that.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Kidney05 wrote:I think Roland is suspicious of how well this 'revival' gear would really sell, or if we're just a small vocal group - hence why it's a limited run and all that.
Limited edition inexpensive revival gear has sold well for Korg and Arturia, why not get on the gravy train?

I really don't buy this "testing the waters" argument but I'd be glad to be wrong. DSI has been doing affordable analog polysynths for a decade, there's been plenty of time for other mfrs to get into the market...and they haven't.

OK, I'll shut up now :hi:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:I think Roland is suspicious of how well this 'revival' gear would really sell, or if we're just a small vocal group - hence why it's a limited run and all that.
Limited edition inexpensive revival gear has sold well for Korg and Arturia, why not get on the gravy train?

I really don't buy this "testing the waters" argument but I'd be glad to be wrong. DSI has been doing affordable analog polysynths for a decade, there's been plenty of time for other mfrs to get into the market...and they haven't.

OK, I'll shut up now :hi:
I know what you mean, but I think Roland might be the most cautious company of the bunch (aside from Yamaha maybe?) Korg had to do the monotron and monotribe before they went to the Volcas and MS-20 Mini... maybe Roland just doesn't have an analog department at all anymore (wasn't the whole revival thing launched by a young guy for Korg? I can't remember his name right now) so maybe they're thinking they're playing to their strengths. After all... the SH-101 emulation does SOUND really good.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Kidney05 wrote: maybe Roland just doesn't have an analog department at all anymore
Roland just released two analog synths earlier this year (the JD-Xi and the JD-XA) so they definitely have people skilled in analog synth circuit design.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 am

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:51 am

Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

And one more demo. This one also contains comparitions with original 106 and JX3P.

I think especially J-06 sounds very close to original.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm

More A-B comparisons would be helpful. It does look awkward to play on that small keyboard.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Really quick reaction - I know the Juno 106 well, and from even that bit of lead playing on the Ju 06 - it really does sound like a Juno 106. It was instantaneously recognizable as a Juno sound. I've been skeptical, and accept this is a quick comparison - but - initial signs are very positive and hopeful.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 am

Admit I've not read the whole thread, but these look like they are supposed to be comparable or compete with Yamaha's Reface line, and if that is so then I'd say +20 to Roland.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]