Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by StepLogik » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Zamise wrote:Admit I've not read the whole thread, but these look like they are supposed to be comparable or compete with Yamaha's Reface line, and if that is so then I'd say +20 to Roland.
Yeah, not much of a competition. I think the Reface line is almost comical in its price/performance ratio and it seems most of the target market agrees. Roland beat the Reface handily in terms of features (patch storage, better sequencer, more controls, etc) versus price. I suspect those Reface clunkers will be in the discount bins soon enough.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:15 pm

According to sonicstate we don't really see how small these modules are in the pictures. There's actually just 3cm throw on the sliders on the JX3, and 2cm throw on the sliders on the JP08. That's fricking TINY. That's programming-panel-on-CS80-tiny.

3cm is about 1,2 inches for you american people.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Ant for scale

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:33 am

StepLogik wrote:
Zamise wrote:Admit I've not read the whole thread, but these look like they are supposed to be comparable or compete with Yamaha's Reface line, and if that is so then I'd say +20 to Roland.
Yeah, not much of a competition. I think the Reface line is almost comical in its price/performance ratio and it seems most of the target market agrees. Roland beat the Reface handily in terms of features (patch storage, better sequencer, more controls, etc) versus price. I suspect those Reface clunkers will be in the discount bins soon enough.
I agree. Plus, Roland's heritage has a lot more built-in caché than Yamaha's does. So when Roland came out with a better performing, less expensive, sexier, retro-inspired product, they ate Yamaha's lunch.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:13 am

Bitexion wrote:2cm throw on the sliders on the JP08. That's fricking TINY. That's programming-panel-on-CS80-tiny.
I've used Bourns 20mm LED sliders on a few recent projects... Yes, they're small but very smooth and surprisingly controllable. I'm more concerned about how close those rotary pots are!

I've got mine ordered and have been quoted 8 days delivery - seems a bit optimistic :o

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:59 am

I've been thinking (on a weekend, but it wasn't on purpose, I swear), why Boutiques are "limited edition". There are generally two options - it's just a marketing trick or it's true (I know, brilliant thinking). Reasons for Roland for first options are rather obvious (quick income) but what about second? They generated fair amount of buzz - why kill it with limited supply? Boutiques are not super expensive esoteric gear for choosen but mass product for (I suppose) young generation. Does that mean Roland plan to replace them in a near future with something similar? But it somehow doesn't make sense to me. What are your thoughts?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 pm

salwa wrote:I've been thinking (on a weekend, but it wasn't on purpose, I swear), why Boutiques are "limited edition". There are generally two options - it's just a marketing trick or it's true (I know, brilliant thinking). Reasons for Roland for first options are rather obvious (quick income) but what about second? They generated fair amount of buzz - why kill it with limited supply? Boutiques are not super expensive esoteric gear for choosen but mass product for (I suppose) young generation. Does that mean Roland plan to replace them in a near future with something similar? But it somehow doesn't make sense to me. What are your thoughts?
It's a call to action, not sit around on our butts, and get out and buy stuff. The price is right, the demos I've heard sound good. However the ant size proportions are a deal breaker for me. Euro stuff is fun for me as they have knobs for a high degree of control, but those microscopic sliders on the Boutique stuff looks absolutely dreadful to me. Which is a shame because I think smaller footprint IS the way to go. The word boutique, when used as an adjective for guitar pedals, it usually means something of very high quality that is carefully hand made with love. And something where no corners have been cut.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Moog Audio has them up for pre-order. Canadian prices are $399 for the JX and JU, $499 for the JP, and $139 for the mini keyboard. I would imagine Long and McQuade will be selling them at the same price.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:32 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Apart from the fact the Yamahas have a playable keyboard and the Rolds don't.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 am

And now you can start discussing why the JP costs $100 more than the others. They're all miniature, and the JP has even smaller sliders. What's the extra cost? Certainly not 8 voices.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 am

Bitexion wrote:And now you can start discussing why the JP costs $100 more than the others. They're all miniature, and the JP has even smaller sliders. What's the extra cost? Certainly not 8 voices.
Higher software development cost (man-hours) due to the much higher complexity of the Jupiter 8 and to a smaller degree higher component cost (more sliders).

baz99

Post by baz99 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Apart from the fact the Yamahas have a playable keyboard and the Rolds don't.
Luckly the Rolands don't have a keyboard at all (unless you buy it separately), I don't like paying for something that I wouldn't use and that would take up space on my desk.

I also expect the Refaces to be drastically reduced in price after Xmas (still won't buy one as the only one I could like, the CS, has no patch memory which is a deal-breaker for me).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:47 am

Bitexion wrote:And now you can start discussing why the JP costs $100 more than the others. They're all miniature, and the JP has even smaller sliders. What's the extra cost? Certainly not 8 voices.
That's already been discussed a few pages back, most likely due to the JP needing more DSP than the others.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:04 am

Just looked at Long and McQuade's website and they have them up for the same prices as Moog. When they'll actually turn up in the stores is of course another question.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

salwa

Post by salwa » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 am

One more demo by Kraft. Although I find most of it very unmusical and ear-fatiguing (dangerously close to their Reface demos).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl