Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
salwa

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by salwa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:31 pm

philip wrote:
salwa wrote:Video including comparition J08 with Jupiter 8.
"Quickly, go and buy this s**t, because this is some limited s**t" OMG this is so cheap and pathetic :(
But they sound good. At least I like what I'm hearing.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 pm

After listening carefully to the JP 08 pads in the above video and comparing to a few I compiled from my old JP8 recordings,

I can tell right away that the tone appears similar, but the behavior of how the oscillators interact is not. Take that for what you will, since I did the most basic practical comparison I could think of: a single patch(non-layered) with very minimal modulation, no resonance and no effects added. This doesn't test for the brightness inherent in discrete component oscillators, the snappiness the JP8 envelopes are famous for, the crossmod possibilities, the stereo wideness mentioned from dual layering patches or resonance sounds.

What I really want to compare is woodwind and strings sounds, as the JP8 has this lovely midrange perfect for simulating the tone of certain acoustic instruments that I would guess is difficult to re-create. Best way to describe it is like the sound you get when you add a pure sine wave, tuned one or two octaves (or a fifth above that) above the oscillator it's following, which plays in perfect phase and balanced presence with the note, like the resonance which the body of an acoustic instrument would enhance.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 pm

They look fun and are cheap and I don't want to poo on them before trying them but I have to agree with the previous poster.

From what I have heard so far I fell that whilst they have that "tone" or are close they do lack the snap of the envelopes and other quirks that made those synths great in the first place.
Whilst the 3P had sluggish envelopes they still sounded snappy on a lot of sounds and the way the filter interacted with the env.

I've had both a 106 and JX-3P and feel that the new synths lack in the filter and env department but are very close with the chorus and OSC's.

I am on the other hand quite a fan of the System One, I would of liked to see these as plug outs.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:24 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:I am on the other hand quite a fan of the System One, I would of liked to see these as plug outs.
+1. Guitar Center just took down their Boutique listings from their website.

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Post by rsaintjohn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Had a panic attack, heh. I'd ordered the JP-08 through GC online because I had a big discount to use. It hasn't shipped yet. Called them up and he confirmed they're off the site as they're already out of stock for now (!), but that my order is fine and due to ship on Monday.

Guess I better quickly scrape up the funds for the others.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:16 am

Having thought long upon, and ultimately buying a TR8, I can say these appear to be (at least sound) really good, and quite accurate. I put away my vintage snobbery on the TR8, and I think I'll do the same with the JP8, and perhaps the others.

chuck

Post by chuck » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 am

So the price in Aus is $639 for the JP08 which equates to US$460 and a bit today I thought we were nearly as close to China or Japan as the US what is the price difference in other countries

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am

chuck wrote:So the price in Aus is $639 for the JP08 which equates to US$460 and a bit today I thought we were nearly as close to China or Japan as the US what is the price difference in other countries
We're closer, seeing as Australia is in Asia and everything. ;) The situation you're describing is known as the Australia Tax, I'm surprised you've never heard of it. Here's a little reading material for you to bring you up to speed: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/tags/australia-tax/

But basically smaller population + 10% GST + lack of local competition = higher prices. But then when you consider that the minimum wage here is about three times higher than in the US, we can visit the doctor for free when we're sick etc. things don't seem so bad. :D

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:But then when you consider that the minimum wage here is about three times higher than in the US, we can visit the doctor for free when we're sick etc. things don't seem so bad. :D
[OT]

Australia seems a lovely place; the Australians I've met have been good folk, and the country is definitely on my to-visit list. That said,

Great white sharks, tiger sharks, crocodiles, yellow-bellied sea snakes, stone fishes, blue-ringed octopi, taipans, brown snakes, funnel-webs, tarantulas and redbacks.

Here, all I have to worry about are adders and drunk football fans. And rain. Lots of rain.

Cheers

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:36 pm

Sure every second thing will try to kill you, but the hospital is free. :D

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:17 pm

:lol:

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:04 am

chuck wrote:So the price in Aus is $639 for the JP08 which equates to US$460 and a bit today I thought we were nearly as close to China or Japan as the US what is the price difference in other countries
The price for the JP08 in the U.S. is $399.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:07 am

mine got shipped to the wrong adress, thankfully they refused the package and it is being rerouted, and I'll have to wait a couple more days.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 pm

griffin avid wrote:What about the SH-32? Wouldn't those be the same size sliders?
20mm is less than an inch, having owned an SH-32 about a decade ago I'm sure they had a longer throw than that!

The SH32 panel is about 9x12", doing a rough measurement from a picture I suspect those are 40-45mm sliders.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:37 pm

For me, a little bit too small, four-voice polyphony and no sending of controllers when using the controls are all misses that take away the value I could have got from the JP-08.

I'll pass, and see what comes of this tech once the "limited edition" supplies have run out and Roland release the next thing...