Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by rsaintjohn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:12 pm

Got my JX-03 yesterday, and it kept me up until 3:30am. But it's a good kind of tired. Thank you, coffee. :shock:

No regrets. Incredible sound and a solid build. The only thing I hate about it is the "manual". Sparse and folds out like a damn road map (to account for 20 languages). Can't wait for my JP-08, at which point I'll make a decision to either double-up on the best one, or get the JU-06.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 pm

These road map manuals have got to go (meaning they will only become more commonplace).

The original US JX3p manual had 32 pages in English, now it's a single sheet with the text in 20 languages...WTF :pissed:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.

Post by rsaintjohn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:28 am

First thing I did this afternoon was download PDF manuals for the JX-3P and the PG-200. Not really sure I even need them, but maybe I'll find some gem as I've never owned a now-vintage Roland.

The second thing I did was grab the JX-03 PDF manual, and cut/copy/paste it onto two letter-sized pages. Won't be using the roadmap again.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:07 am

Is there portamento hiding somewhere on these? Button combinations? Or none?

rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:01 am

Yes, you hold the Chorus button down and adjust and set portamento using the ribbon strips.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:35 am

rsaintjohn wrote:hold the Chorus button down and adjust and set portamento using the ribbon strips.
Classic Roland...never provide 8 buttons when 1 will do :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 pm

rsaintjohn wrote:Yes, you hold the Chorus button down and adjust and set portamento using the ribbon strips.
Sweet. The demos of the JU-06 I have heard, while they sounded good, didn't really remind me of classic Juno-106 sounds until I saw this video [bbvideo]http://www.youtube.com/qOGfAl9y25s[/bbvideo]

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:57 am

New gear threads always go dead when folks receive their gear. What is the verdict? Any more decent demos? I live in a synth black hole. I won't get to clap eyes, or ears, on any of these until next weekend at Z's synth meet.

rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 am

I've just been waiting to have a second unit (JP-08, pre-ordered, here soon I hope) to compare to my JX-3P, but I think the latter is a real winner. I didn't even realize it until I had it, but this is actually my first "knob per function" synth. After decades of buttons and LCDs, it's a real revelation how productive I can be when trying to craft that perfect sound. And the JX-3P has a lot of heart and soul to start with. Been pairing it with my JD-Xi most of the weekend. I thought there might be a lot of overlap, but there's not at all.

Haven't found its size to be an impediment (or an indication of the hefty sound it can produce), and the step sequencer is a blast. Great for leads and bass, but I don't find it that strong for strings and pads, yet. Despite the fact its only 4 voices, I find it more than sufficient for this model.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:16 pm

I received my JP-08 last Thursday so I've only had it a few day and now I'm tempted to pick up another one for 8 voices! What can I say except that I think it's a wonderful synth! The short slider throw doesn't really bother me at all although it's tricky to get very precise movements accurate.

On the downside, I think it eats batteries pretty quickly. Yesterday, the top part of the C1 slider was blinking and I couldn't find any information on that but I assumed it means the batteries are low. Another issue is that since my computer is on OSX 10.7.5, Roland doesn't support it - 10.9 and later. I attempted to use USB for bus power only and because I also had a MIDI cable plugged in, there seemed to be a conflict of some kind. My keyboard controller no longer triggered anything and there was a weird buzzing sound. So my workaround is having it powered by an iPhone charger! (1 volt difference and rated at 2 amps). Also, is there no way to sync the LFO to MIDI?
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:44 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Another issue is that since my computer is on OSX 10.7.5, Roland doesn't support it - 10.9 and later.
This is an Apple issue, not Roland. That deal upset me with my old macbook, the hardware only supports certain OS versions and couldn't be updated even if I wanted to pay for an updated OS. It is called planned obsolescence.
Shanesaw wrote:I attempted to use USB for bus power only and because I also had a MIDI cable plugged in, there seemed to be a conflict of some kind. My keyboard controller no longer triggered anything and there was a weird buzzing sound. So my workaround is having it powered by an iPhone charger!
Buzzing was probably a ground loop, caused by the ground of the USB and midi ground line feedback.
Shanesaw wrote:Also, is there no way to sync the LFO to MIDI?
Funny! It wasn't on the originals, heck its not even on the Jupiter-6 Europa version 1 mod. Maybe Roland can add this on a future OS update.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:07 am

I've seen them shown by a Roland rep in a public gathering here, and it really amazed me how tiny they are... But really tiny! I could not play long with it, as there were other people around and it was noisy because of all the modular firing away, but I was deceived by the JX-03 and the JU-06 on this first real life impression. I'm gonna keep the real keyboards for now. Still, it might be good enough for those that can't have the originals: I hope I'll be able to try out the JP-08 to see what it can offer without a prejudiced ear...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:37 am

Funny! It wasn't on the originals, heck its not even on the Jupiter-6 Europa version 1 mod. Maybe Roland can add this on a future OS update.
I don't know much about the original Jupiter-8 except that it sounds really nice and is incredibly expensive. Also, it doesn't bother me at all that the LFO doesn't sync to MIDI. I was more curious if it was maybe a hidden feature somewhere.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm seriously considering one of the boutique models, having not been able to afford a second hand Juno back in the day I'm not 100% sure which to go for.

For warm deep house pads would people recommend the JX03 or the JU06? I'm thinking the "Jupiter" might not be 100% right for this sound...

I would have assumed the "Juno" would have been the one to go for but having heard some of the samples of the JX03 I'm being swayed to this unit instead?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Don't worry Roland have you covered if you're into Deep House.