Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:53 pm

It's odd that they replaced the arpeggiator with the sequencer though..the jp8 arp is such an important feature.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 pm

I never understood what all the hype of the JP8 arpeggiator was all about. It can't properly sync to Din/Sync and when you play legato chord changes, the timing gets messed up about half the time. I guess it's that whole "key follow" aspect it does instead of a traditional arpeggio.

After listening to Nick's demo, I'm a little more impressed with the JP 08. It doesn't have the pitch drift, voice tolerances or that wonderful fizziness, but there are definite similarities. It sometimes sounds like a Jupiter 8, that isn't in unison or dual/split mode, being recorded on a crappy set of ADC's. Needs more of that fundamental frequency singing through, along with certain harmonics that really shine, and that lovely fizziness I mentioned. Without these, it will be trapped in a good 4 voice simulation, as far as I am concerned. Very nice for the price, though.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:09 pm

I checked out all three of these at the Synth Expo thinger in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago.
I actually was pretty underwhelmed by all of them except the lowly JXP3. That had some good sounds in it for sure.
One of them, the Juno, was just utter grating junk. I kept messing with it for a long time convinced that I was just dumbassing it. But I had to throw in the towel and concede the filter was lukewarm lipton tea, and the oscs were just too awful to listen to.
The keys were also kind of excessively dinky. It seems a crime to charge extra for a keyboard that small and toy like.

The JX3 is on my wishlist for sure, I've always liked the sound of the JXP3, but not so much having to acquire a programmer to do anything beyond presets.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Bitexion wrote:There exists cables with a 1/4 jack at one end and minijack on the other end. You don't need goofy converters if you get one of those. I use several of those for my modular system to connect with other stuff.
I dont know about other guys, but I use 8 channel snakes to connect up all my gear. A lot less mess. This is not a problem until I get to this new gen of for lack of a better term, 'hobbyist oriented' gear with it's 1/8" jacks. Plugging a snake into one of those is a disaster waiting to happen. So I have to strain relieve the snake so that it does not snap off an output jack by accident. Especially since most of those are PC mounted with no chassis nut or anything.

I'm just happy that there is an actual midi port so one is not locked into buying that absurd little keyboard for $100.
I'll be patching mine to my midi controller and making a split for it and the Streichfett.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:50 pm

So is there anything that could stop Roland from releasing an 8-voice, 61-key keyboard version the JP-08 (or the other two for that matter), complete with arpeggiator and full size sliders and call it Jupiter 08?
GC

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm sure they've asked themselves this, and some high-rise boss said "too expensive"

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 am

Oh bum! Looks like delivery of my JP-08 has been put back by 4 weeks - end of December now :(

Very tempting now to ask my cousin in the US to get me one and post it over.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Broadwave wrote:Oh bum! Looks like delivery of my JP-08 has been put back by 4 weeks - end of December now :(

Who did you order it from? I ordered mine from GAK and I'm still waiting. They said late November.
GC

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:32 am

The Australian distributor is delivering now so I'm surprised there's none in the UK.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:19 am

I got the Ju06 today and it sounds amazing. Its powerful enough for what its intended to be. It has a nice loud output . It seamlessly blended into my hardware set up very very well . I own analog and digital synths and this ACB sound is closer to analog then my virus or any of my VAs . Things I dont care for are the hidden delay controls and cryptic map manual. I didn't buy the keyboard. Tonight I slaved it to my music partners ms2000 and we recorded parts into new tracks right away. Sounds great in the mix. Four poly isnt a big issue for me. The sliders are nice. Is it as good as analog ? frankly its petty freaking close on some sounds. It destroys any juno vst easy. It plays extremely well with other gear so for me its a win win . Those who think it sounds bad I have a hard time believing had time with one outside of a you tube vid or like different vintage sounds then I do (Electro real electro not house). Maybe they didn't play on a full keyboard ? I passed on the jx as i have a 3p already. If the jp8 sounds as good as the ju I may be all in. I was a disbeliever till today the JU sounds really great for what it can do . I recommend this synth if you love/loved the classic juno sound.
Last edited by computron on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:14 am

gcoudert wrote:
Broadwave wrote:Oh bum! Looks like delivery of my JP-08 has been put back by 4 weeks - end of December now :(

Who did you order it from? I ordered mine from GAK and I'm still waiting. They said late November.
Ordered from Andertons - Interestingly, Dawsons still have November as a delivery date. I'll just have to be patient :?

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:19 pm

I've had the JP-08 for almost two weeks, and wanted to back computron's post on the *sound* quality of these modules. I'm still blown away by the sound of the Jupiter- like he said, better than any VA I've ever heard, including the Virus KB I owned. I did get the keyboard for mine, and while the tiny keys and two octaves are less than stellar, the sound quality on these things are off the chart. The JP-08 sliders are really small, with very little travel, but they feel sturdy and solid, and it's actually quite easy to make small tweaks with them.
Win is correct.
Bassist, synth junkie

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Spent quite a bit of time with the JP-08 yesterday myself and will agree that the sound is very, very good. The sliders were my main concern going in and they turned out to be just fine for tweaking. Overall I was very impressed.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:19 am

I woke up after a nightmare just now, but there was a really coolthingin the dream. It was a advert for a mini d50 with the pg1000 controls built right in.

The v synth can do this, at a high price, but a little d50 with all its partials would be brill. Of course the JDXi is similar but it doesn't look very cool and has too many terrible partials like general MIDI slap bass or something.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 am

my useless two cents . . .

1. I thought sound was fine, nothing to write about. VA's are 20 years old now, I would expect it to sound close to the original.

2. I thought the distance of the sliders/pots are way too small (same issue with the 500 series too).

3. I feel these are little bit over priced.

4. I want something new, not something old and rehashed.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."