Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mark76

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Mark76 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Don't worry Roland have you covered if you're into Deep House.

Hehe! Juno it is then....

(Maybe get both)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:29 pm

garranimal wrote:
Shanesaw wrote:Another issue is that since my computer is on OSX 10.7.5, Roland doesn't support it - 10.9 and later.
This is an Apple issue, not Roland.
No, it is a Roland issue. They simply can't be bothered with supporting older OSes.

That's a total deal breaker for me when shopping for gear, give me class compliance or don't even bother with USB.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Shanesaw wrote:
Funny! It wasn't on the originals, heck its not even on the Jupiter-6 Europa version 1 mod. Maybe Roland can add this on a future OS update.
I don't know much about the original Jupiter-8 except that it sounds really nice and is incredibly expensive. Also, it doesn't bother me at all that the LFO doesn't sync to MIDI. I was more curious if it was maybe a hidden feature somewhere.
I downloaded the manual/roadmap thingy for the JP-08 and there currently isn't an LFO MIDI sync feature, yet. A modern incarnation could, and should, add this feature as a toggle. I'm sure Roland will think to add this later.

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
garranimal wrote:
Shanesaw wrote:Another issue is that since my computer is on OSX 10.7.5, Roland doesn't support it - 10.9 and later.
This is an Apple issue, not Roland.
No, it is a Roland issue. They simply can't be bothered with supporting older OSes.

That's a total deal breaker for me when shopping for gear, give me class compliance or don't even bother with USB.
I thought that it's Roland's issue as well. On the flip side, I just upgraded my computer to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). I'm going to download the Roland driver again and give it a try.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

_Mantis

Post by _Mantis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Does anybody know of any songs which used the JX3P?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

_Mantis wrote:Does anybody know of any songs which used the JX3P?
- Johnny Clegg & Savuka's first two albums, "Scatterlings of Africa" (with DX7 x 3, Prophet 600 and Poly 61) & "Shadow Man" (with DX7 x 3, Prophet 600 & D50),
- Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F" (chord stabs), alongside DX7 and Jupiter 8.
GC

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:51 am

just got the jp 08 this weekend, it sounds very, very good, and the sliders are ok, but not great. The main complain would be the switches, they feel so cheap that I think they won't last too long.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 am

Alright so I tested the JP-08 and the JU-06 this past weekend. I have Juno-106, and I personally think the JU-06 is spot on. Not pretty damn close, not kinda sorta there. It's spot on. It even has the noise floor from the chorus circuit, I love that. The higher-range LFOs made for some more edgy gritty sounds the 106 cannot do. The sliders are the right size on this one, its small enough to be compact but has enough throw to be satisfying.

The JP-08 sliders are considerably smaller than the JU-06, packing on more of them though. To me the JP-08 sliders are just too small. But the sound is huge and fat, and programming it was so much fun I began to forget about the slider business. While JP-08 has a Unison mode, there is no unison detune feature. Say what? Well, yet anyway.... C'mon Roland, let's get on that Unison detune OS update AND the tempo-sync'd LFOs.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 pm

To be fair there was no unison detune on the prophet-5, obx/a/8 or jupiter-8 either. The analogue vco's caused a pleasant chorusy effect on their own.

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm

_Mantis wrote:Does anybody know of any songs which used the JX3P?
Shannon - Let The Music Play

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Bitexion wrote:To be fair there was no unison detune on the prophet-5, obx/a/8 or jupiter-8 either. The analogue vco's caused a pleasant chorusy effect on their own.
That's actually one of the reasons why I like the Jupiter 6--it has a couple great features that the Jupe 8 does not have. The Unison detune on the JP-6 sounds massive and is still very musical. The ability to select multiple waveforms on VCO 2 simultaneously is also a standout feature. The face of the Boutiques is already jam-packed, but if they're going to release a DSP version of the JP-8, it would have been cool to add in those features from the JP-6. It would have pushed me closer to purchasing one.

And yes, if they're not going to have some kind of input to clock the Arp on the JP-08, why on earth would they not make it syncable with MIDI? :facepalm:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Just ordered a JP-08 from GAK. Should get it in a couple of weeks.
GC

salwa

Post by salwa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm quite suprised they didn't find working Juno 106.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Hehe I was just about to post that video too. I hope he does the same thing with the other two. Nick's reviews are the best there is.

I think it's getting increasingly hard to find a 100% working 106 these days. Those voice chips keep on failing and there's no replacement (other than repro chips).

I had a 106 a few years ago that actually was 100% working. Sold it, and a few weeks ago the buyer called me asking if I knew what to do about certain notes not playing right. All I could do was send him on an ebay search really.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:34 am

I restored the chips in my Juno-106 and its working great, but I am STILL tempted by the JU-06. It's VERY convenient size. Side-by-side, the JU-06 sliders are much bigger than the JP-08. And Nick was commenting in the JU-06 review how small the sliders were, so I can't wait to see his review of the JP-08 with even smaller sliders.

So I bought a JP-08, and was able to edit sounds on-the-fly. It's do-able, but its a bee-yatch. Despite the tiny sliders, I love the JP-08 to death. It really does sound impressive.