Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Infrasound » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Mine arrived on Friday. To get a 2 Osc knobby synth in a solid enclosure for just over $600 AU brand new is what I consider a good deal. It sounds great. Yes, there are some limitations, but for the price I am stoked.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:40 pm

I messed with both the JX and JP at Guitar Center today.they sound great, and pretty authentic... yes the sliders on the jp are tiny and hard to use,, so i am leaning more toward the JX. they were out of JUs at that location.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:15 pm

wiss wrote:I want something new, not something old and rehashed.
Agreed!

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:
wiss wrote:I want something new, not something old and rehashed.
Agreed!
so go buy the JD-XI, JD-XA, System 1, Juno DS, Jupiter 80...

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:29 am

I have to revise my first impression assessment of the JU-06, maybe I was fooled by the excellent chorus emulation. Beyond that the JU-06 sounded too sterile and flat compared to my 106. There are some really sweet frequencies on the 106 that the JU-06 does not capture. When I played two notes an octave apart, there was that cheesy phase-locked-loop buzzing sound. I toiled with it many days, I REALLY wanted it to work out. Alas, I was not inspired by the JU-06 like I was with the JP-08.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:47 am

Seems like TR-808, TR-909, and TB-303 will be released as boutique editions as well.

https://www.roland.co.uk/promos/roland_ ... nterview_1

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 am

EXPECTATIONS FOR THE RELEASE OF THE TR-808, TR-909, AND TB-303 AS THE SECOND EDITION OF ROLAND BOUTIQUE IS LIKELY TO BE GREAT TOO.

Tojo:Yes, I think so too. I think we will be getting a lot of feedback after this release, so we'd like to listen to what our customers have to say and decide on what to do next.
antilles wrote:Seems like TR-808, TR-909, and TB-303 will be released as boutique editions as well.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm

When you see the faces of mediocrity, it makes it all the more poignant; and sad.

where are the faces who designed the Jupiter 8, Juno106 and TR808

Bring them back! See THEIR view and outlook.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:43 pm

They're probably retired and/or dead.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:51 pm

I guess I missed the part about ACB. I suppose I thought they had just used SMT to stuff an actual analog 4 voice in a tiny box. If it's just emulation does it really matter if it's from Roland or not? It still is not the real deal. Not as if you can't fit real analog into something that small. The A4 is not much bigger, and it is quite a bit more (and more expensive...). Oh well taken that Jx3 off of my Amazon wish list.
:roll:
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:32 pm

garranimal wrote:I have to revise my first impression assessment of the JU-06, maybe I was fooled by the excellent chorus emulation. Beyond that the JU-06 sounded too sterile and flat compared to my 106. There are some really sweet frequencies on the 106 that the JU-06 does not capture. When I played two notes an octave apart, there was that cheesy phase-locked-loop buzzing sound. I toiled with it many days, I REALLY wanted it to work out. Alas, I was not inspired by the JU-06 like I was with the JP-08.
When it comes to the chorus the noise especially can be controlled but that info was not in the manual road map that was boxed with the JU06. Here is how to control it if you still have it with your jp08.

System Settings in the [MANUAL] + [12], you can adjust the noise level of Chorus.
[1] OFF
[2] HALF
[3] ORIGINAL (initial value)
In other words, looks like you can adjust/turn off the Chorus noise on the JU and JX.
1. While holding down the [MANUAL] button, press [12]
* Keep holding down the [MANUAL] button.
2. Press a numeric button to select the value, and release the [MANUAL] button to confirm the value. Also this info was missing
Is it possible to retain the (Mod) value even if you release your finger from the C2 ribbon controller in the Boutique Series?

In System Settings with [MANUAL] + [11], you can turn on MOD HOLD; even if you release your finger from the C2 ribbon, the value will be held.

[1] MOD HOLD OFF (initial value)
[2] MOD HOLD ON

This info is via Roland Japan q&a . I too wanted the JP08 first and foremost but when I heard the Ju I had to get it instead. Maybe if i got to try the 8 i woud have grabed it instead but I do not regret getting the Ju. I have had great success with it into my hardware set up and it sounds lovely in the mix That buzzing noise you heard could be due to having a midi In/Out 5 pin hooked up and using micoUSB to power it going into a DAW. I herd there is a conflict going into a DAW being powered by USB with 5pins also connected but I dont use a DAW so i cant confim that. I have not heard this buzzing sound playing two notes a octave apart . Of course these boutiques will NEVER sound just lke the orginals but for what they are they sound very good IMHO. I never had a 106 to compare but the JU is useful to me and sounds good .
Living the Electro Life

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Unbelievable...digital recreation of the noise in the chorus. I'll take OFF please :laugh3:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:57 pm

antilles wrote:Seems like TR-808, TR-909, and TB-303 will be released as boutique editions as well.

Roland's finally starting to get it. I had a feeling they would make a mini drum line to accompany these synth modules. I hope they make a larger keyboard too that can house like 4 of these things so I can put together a basic workstation that's easy to travel with.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:03 pm

I thought the TR-8 and TB-3 were already ACB recreations of the 808, 909 and 303.

Will the new 303 have dying battery emulation for creating random patterns? :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:17 pm