Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:18 pm

I'll take a CR-78 please!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 pm

antilles wrote:Seems like TR-808, TR-909, and TB-303 will be released as boutique editions as well.
https://www.roland.co.uk/promos/roland_ ... nterview_1
The TR-606 gets snubbed, AGAIN. No expansion kit for the TR-8. No boutique. No respect I tell ya.
I went ahead and ordered a beater 606 that should be arriving today.

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 am

garranimal wrote:
antilles wrote:Seems like TR-808, TR-909, and TB-303 will be released as boutique editions as well.
https://www.roland.co.uk/promos/roland_ ... nterview_1
The TR-606 gets snubbed, AGAIN. No expansion kit for the TR-8. No boutique. No respect I tell ya.
I went ahead and ordered a beater 606 that should be arriving today.
Poor little 606, it never gets much of a look in does it?

Even it's baby 707 (love it/hate it) brother is getting Aira love these days!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 am

I gotta agree, the 606/303 just scream to be re-issued. It would be a super easy product to make using emulation, and cram them both into one box that harkens back to the futuristic silver case from the 80's.
Never going to happen. It would sell too well.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:55 am

calaverasgrande wrote:I gotta agree, the 606/303 just scream to be re-issued. It would be a super easy product to make using emulation, and cram them both into one box that harkens back to the futuristic silver case from the 80's.
Genius idea!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I gotta agree, the 606/303 just scream to be re-issued. It would be a super easy product to make using emulation, and cram them both into one box that harkens back to the futuristic silver case from the 80's.
Genius idea!

thats a pale imitation of the MC202, not the 303.
And it does not have silver buttons. SILVER BUTTUNZ!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:30 am

I don't know if you were around when they came out, but they were selling them as a new improved 303.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I don't know if you were around when they came out, but they were selling them as a new improved 303.
but the name is MCx0x not TBx0x.
Besides, Roland's marketing is often full of hot air.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I don't know if you were around when they came out, but they were selling them as a new improved 303.
but the name is MCx0x not TBx0x.
But the name is xx303 not xx202. ;)
They called it an MC cause it had drums as well as the bass synth. There was no mention at all of the previous MC lines in the ads when it came out, it was all about the TB-303, and 'new silver box from Roland'.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:32 pm

It might not have sounded at all like the originals...it was a 28 voice JV synth engine inside after all...but it could do far more than a 202, 606 and 303 could ever do. Oh yeah, Roland sold a truckload of them, too :lol:

It's easy to sit here twenty years later and talk about how awful it was. In 1996 it was like a gift from the gods =D>
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:22 am

I was there at some sort of launch in the UK...what a piece of junk....even I could tell it was a stinker from the kick off...
It was a NO from me.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Well, my JP-08 has arrived at last and I must admit it is better than I'd anticipated. I don't find the short faders problematic but I do think Roland should have left out the pitch bend and modulation strips and made better use of the gained space. OK, the attack stage of the envelopes isn't as snappy as on the original JP-8 or on my old Juno-60 but I can live with that. I thought I would find the 4-voice limitation a problem but, so far, it hasn't bothered me; I am unlikely to play more than 3 notes at a time on it anyway. Sound-wise, it's definitely more in the right ball park than any other emulation I have heard of the JP-8. I love the 'does not contain Jupiter-8' disclaimer on the box!

GC

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:35 am

Had my JU-06 a couple of weeks now. Bargain unit, solid front panel and buttons, no issues using the sliders and it sounds great. I've had Juno's previously and was on the verge of another Juno 60 but no longer. Another is planned to get 8 note polyphony then a couple of JP-08's too.

Sold most of my vintage synths a long while back and great to get something new that sounds so close at a bargain price.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:11 pm

I just had to take a second look at the JP-08 box, and sure enough, " *does not contain Jupiter 8" in very small print on the bottom corner of the box. Hilarious.
Still amazed by this little bugger, such a huge sound for such a tiny box.
Bassist, synth junkie

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:51 pm

Well I've just had my JX delivered after spendng a few weeks tinkering with the JU.

Personally I think the JU is closer to the original with a HUGE sound to come out of such a small box.

But overall I think I'll probably get more use from the JX. Slightly sweeter sounding and the two Oscillators just give me more scope but my main bugbear is the 4 note poly and the damn limited Mac OS driver support!!

Seriously, this is a joke, I keep checking the Roland website to see if they have seen sense yet and decided to support Mountain Lion but nope... And I'm not going to bother to upgrade to El Crapitan just yet.