Roland Boutique

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Roland Boutique

Post by Percivale » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Everyone seen this? What do you make of a mono speaker ala Volca style. What of the 3.5mm stereo jack as opposed to 1/4 inch?

Last edited by Percivale on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:54 pm

desmond wrote:Isn't it more usually copy/pasted from the (embargoed) press release / info passed on to the seller *by* the manufacturer? The shop isn't going to know all the details and features of an unreleased product unless the manufacturer tells them...
True, but that doesn't mean all of it is going to make it to the page. Most people will take their liberties with what they put on the page. Again, it's up to the editor to make sure it's correct.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:19 pm

In my humble opinion Roland has finally made something right. I don't mind if they are VA as long as they are good sounding and based on what I've heard from the Aira series, they got that ACB part right. It seems it is easier these days to get an accurate sound with digital technology than to reissue an analog classic, but use new components. We've all heard Korg's Odyssey - it doesn't quite get there, although it's still a great synth.
4 voice poly is so so, but still, for $300 for the Juno it's really not bad. I mean, for 600 one can get an 8 voice polysynth and of course they can be used separately layered or split. Great. I'm really happy to see the mini keyboard is an option. Finally Roland listened. But since the modules are battery-powered and have speakers that mini keyboard could come handy for portable use. I think these synths are well thought out and I really hope they didn't omit an essential parameter - MASTER TUNING. Too many budget synths today do not have this and I think it is something that should not be omitted.

Does anyone know the release date?

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Please excuse my lack of understanding, but why a digital synth would need master tuning? It should already be in tune, and stay forever like that.

It might be available through the USB connection with a computer...
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

fh991586 wrote:Please excuse my lack of understanding, but why a digital synth would need master tuning? It should already be in tune, and stay forever like that.

That's part of my hope for a plug-in to go with these, for hidden parameters. There are times when using gear that is manually tuned with a slider or pot, like an Odyssey or modular pieces, that its really hard to get the tuning exactly right. And what about older synths where the tuning drifts as the night goes on. Also when rehearsing or playing in a band, its easier to adjust your synth than stop the band so a guy can tune is guitar or bass.

The System-1 does not have a tune knob either.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:24 pm

fh991586 wrote:Please excuse my lack of understanding, but why a digital synth would need master tuning? It should already be in tune, and stay forever like that.

Not everyone uses A=440 tuning standard. Most of the time I don't and therefore I need master tuning. When you only use synths it is not a problem, but when you use some fixed pitch acoustic instruments that are not tuned to 440Hz, then you have a problem. Master tuning was there on every digital synth until the recent trend of cutting down number of tweakable parameters on budget synths. It sucks.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:21 pm

:twisted: "- Retains the feel, sound, character and user interface of the original" :twisted:

That's total fiction, and an outright lie.
All 4 points are completely wrong, and you can tell simply by reading the spec and looking at them. Or spending any time with the original.

But nobody will care -
since "they only 300 dollas, yo!"
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 pm

shaft9000 wrote::twisted: "- Retains the feel, sound, character and user interface of the original" :twisted:

That's total fiction, and an outright lie.
All 4 points are completely wrong, and you can tell simply by reading the spec and looking at them. Or spending any time with the original.

But nobody will care -
since "they only 300 dollas, yo!"
Yep, they can lie as no one will really b***h about their lies because nobody will really care if they feel and sound like the originals (as long as they sound good) due to their low price. That includes me, too :) But I would rather see them be fair and not using such fiction for advertisement, though.

philip

Post by philip » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 pm

So digital or analog?

glassofwater

Post by glassofwater » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:35 pm

digital

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:59 am

I just read the gear junkies specs and apperently the juno and jx are dco's.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 am

philip wrote:So digital or analog?
megamanx wrote:I just read the gear junkies specs and apperently the juno and jx are dco's.
The juno and jx are using the "DCO" labeling like the original, just as the JU-08 is using the "VCO" labeling like the original Jupiter 8, but all are completely digital using Roland's same ACB technology found in their Aira System 1. I know this because I asked the Roland rep about them when I met him this past Saturday at the Premier of the Roland System-500 final production models event (I made a post about it along with a video on these forums of the System-500; thought more people would be interested in that than these Boutique synths, being that the System-500 is 100% analog, but alas, I guess not.)

Also, when people say "well why can't it just be analog, it's not that much more expensive these days" or "why can't they add four more voices" it's really not that simple. I wrote a long thorough explanation as to why, over on that other slutty forum. If you really want to know, just search for genshi and you'll find it...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:18 am

It's a pity that they left out one of the most fun things of each of these three machines: trigger inputs for the arpeggiators / sequencers...

If they are there, that is, don't see them...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:21 am

pflosi wrote:It's a pity that they left out one of the most fun things of each of these three machines: trigger inputs for the arpeggiators / sequencers...

If they are there, that is, don't see them...
I guess they figure that kind of stuff is covered by midi these days. I'm not surprised at all though, seeing as these are aimed the volca/microkorg set. I'm just happy there's something now for the fictional 'where's my $500 JP8?' guy. :D

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:37 am

Certainly so, probably they're also right considering the target market... :dontknow: