Shipping Boxes for Keyboards

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Lovecraft

Shipping Boxes for Keyboards

Post by Lovecraft » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 am

HI all...

I just wanted to ask if there is a good resource to find shipping boxes online for those "larger" synths where it next to impossible unless you have the original box to find something to ship it in.

Does anyone know of a good resource for finding something in the way of "sturdy" shipping boxes which would fit 49-76+ key keyboards and such? Especially at a reasonable price?

Thanks in a advance!

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Re: Shipping Boxes for Keyboards

Post by nvining » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:50 am

I've taken to building them out of a combination of scrappy pine and plywood. It's usually about $100 at Home Depot to build a crate (Canadian), and about 4-6 hours with the table saw and drill.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:44 am

A few years ago when I needed to ship my Keyboards across the country I went to a store that sold Roland Digital Pianos. They were happy to let me have the DP boxes which would have been tossed out for recycling anyway.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:54 am

Local music store.

Most of them ditch the boxes straight away when shelving stuff, especially guitars which will quite happily accomadate a 61 key synth.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:39 pm

If you're in the US, ULine.com sells boxes for shipping keyboards and guitars. I take larger boxes and cut them down to whatever size I need.

Be sure to watch my "How to pack a synth for safe shipping" video:
[youtube][/youtube]
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Cardboard bicycle boxes from the nearest sports/MTB store?

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:38 pm

ULine also existes in Canada. But any discarded boxes will do just fine, as long as you shape it to your needs, and use lots of tape and both bubble wrap + other filling stuff to absorb multiple shocks. If you can solidify corners too, that's a plus!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:00 pm

New wardrobe boxes from U-haul. A large size one worked great when I shipped an Oberheim Four-Voice.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

kazper

Post by kazper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:24 am

Kinkos in the US sells some heavy duty boxes for shipping that take a few min to put together. Some of them are the perfect size for synths.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Rusty, the local GC in town put a lock on their cardboard bin. I went inside to ask for boxes on shipping day, and they said they were no longer giving them out. Said they have to keep all of them. Probably sending them back to the warehouse to handle online sales. Vicd, I will have to check the bike stores as you suggested.

Currently I buy 4'x8' sheets, and build every box from scratch. Sheets cost me around $3. I always run the corrugations longways for strength when it gets dropped on end. Everything over 25 lbs I double box.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I get sheets of cardboard from a local appliance store. they cut them up when they get in new refrigerators and stoves. I use them to make my own boxes , very thick durable stuff. I have shipped over 80 synths from lil Poly 800's to DK Synergys and combo organs. never had one damaged in transit. knock on wood. :)
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.