Suggestions for best JV Expansion Cards

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
part12studios

Suggestions for best JV Expansion Cards

Post by part12studios » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

So I have this JV-1080 that I have in my office "synth hotseat" and basically finding the best patches I can from the MidiQuest Patch Zone. The unit has two cards in it currently. orchestral and vintage synth. I have two more slots plus the two front data card slots that are iching to be filled..

So I thought I'd see what advise you all might have on which ones are best. From the research I've done, i suspect more than 4 are the best.. which is unfortunate, but i have what i have and want to make the best use of the space.

I'm really liking the 1080. MidiQuest is making navigating through all the patches much easier than figuring out the busy front interface.. I know the answer to this question would likely be "it depends"

there are 21 of these.. wow.. ok so if i had to go with my gut here are the cards that seem interesting:

vocal collection.. my studio feels like it lacks a good pallet of vocal pads.. this video was about all i could find that demoed it.. if all of the sounds are highly signatured then maybe not so good..

orchestral II.. making soundtracks for games is a big focus for me so having more quality strings and other orchestral instruments would be great, but having the first one maybe it doesn't justify (too much overlap) taking up a slot. i will say that from the video i just watched there are some good sounds in there. even some really nice choir sounds.

world expansion.. i'm fond of non-western sounds especially for percussion to help build more interesting beats and such such, but shows them off nicely. there definitely seem to be some good textures here.. though he goes so fast, i hope these are mostly one off sounds and not a bunch of loops. it sounds like there are some and i guess that's ok i just hate to think a bunch of the memory is wasted on very signatured sound that would have little reuse..

dance.. techno.. house.... any of these.. making electronica is another strong interest so anything in that vein is good. i got the vintage synth card because my studio lacks in vintage analogs.. the closest i have to that are my two DW-8000's.. all my other old synths lack filters like the TX7, K1m and CZ1000..

any others that might be overlooked of course also. I only have two slots so I just want to make the best call possible.

Also regarding the PCM card on the front.. that can also be used for sounds? is there a particularly good PCM card out there that is good for something? the other says data so i assume it's only for storage, but maybe that's not the case?

Ultimately my instinct says to go with the vocals and possibly the world or maybe orchestral (if it's not highly overlapping the one i have).. the electronic ones could be nice but maybe the vintage synth card gives me broader synth sounds?

what i don't need are more kits/sounds that basically cover what most typical instruments have.. i have a DR-5 drum machine.. I have a ProteusFX.. a GR-50.. and of course the JV-1080's existing drums and sounds.. so i'm just trying to expand the pallet into areas I don't have decent coverage already..

Thanks!
Caleb

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Re: Suggestions for best JV Expansion Cards

Post by Calgonstudio » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:43 pm

I think you might like the Asian card, I can't answer your PCM card question.....but like ai said the Asian card opens you up to unique sounds and loops.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:53 pm

I found a video for the asian card

yea pretty cool stuff. are the percussions loops (beats) or are they individual sounds? sometimes it's tough to know if what you're hearing is sequenced or if it's a full recorded loop.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:17 am

I have Keyboards of the '60s and '70s. The Rhodes, Whurly, Mellotron, and dozens of classic organ sounds are just bonkers. Like the Vintage Synth and Latin expansions, the 60s/70s cards fetch the highest prices on Ebay.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:54 am

garranimal wrote:I have Keyboards of the '60s and '70s. The Rhodes, Whurly, Mellotron, and dozens of classic organ sounds are just bonkers. Like the Vintage Synth and Latin expansions, the 60s/70s cards fetch the highest prices on Ebay.
I second this suggestion. I have the SRX-07 card in my Fantom, which is a combination of Vintage Synth and Keys of the 60s / 70s.
GC

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:55 pm

are the SRX cards compatible with the JV-1080? the idea of packing more sounds in the two remaining slots certainly sound appealing if it were possible.

I'll check out the 60's and 70's card also. Thanks for the tip there. :)

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:03 pm

part12studios wrote:are the SRX cards compatible with the JV-1080?
No, the first machines that supported the bigger SRX cards were the "XV" series (eg, XV5080, XV3080 etc)

The JV-series all use the first generation cards.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:44 pm

good to know and not surprising. :)

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 pm

I have the House, Techno, Dance and Hip-Hop boards in my JV1080.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:53 am

I got a JV-1080 for $100 at guitar center (that said it had no cards in it) and bought an orchestral card for it on EBay.

Then opened the JV-1080 and discovered it had four cards in ti. After resetting the unit and reseating the cards, it recognized them. It has the Orchestral, Vocal, Session, and Bass & Drums. I like all of them except the last.

Oh and i have a spare orchestral. guess i should put it in for sale :D

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm

As a keyboard player, I like having Session, Vintage Synth and 60s&70s as my standard load out, with another as colour, depending on my needs.

For what it's worth, I like the vocal card, but I've never used it in a project. It is fun to play the doo wap sounds.

Orch 2 is more of the same, with added detail, and some new instruments (the celtic stuff, bouzoukis etc), worth it if you're really into scoring, but Orch 1 is all you need (but maybe not all you want).

World is a good card, lots of variety, and some awesome programming.

The "EDM" cards are all good, I like Dance - had it since the mid-nineties , broadly speaking, Hip Hop is slower, House is mid-tempo, and Techno is fast, and they all have 808/909/606 style drums.

Session is more of the same stuff you find in the base ROM, but better quality.

If you like guitars and fretted instruments, Country is worth a look.

Latin has the best brass and latin percussion.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:26 pm

this is all great advice. I took the plunge on the vocal card just to have more variety. i'd like to do ambient / soundtrack stuff and having a nice pallet of voices would be great.

@max badwan thanks for these breakdowns, super helpful. I can also see that given the relative easy access to the card slots swapping out cards wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to swap them out in a given session..

regarding the EDM cards, what is most of the memory spent on? drums and synth sounds? do they have many other possibly dated/fluff sounds like counts?

I haven't fully evaluated the Orch 1 card, but there are some great sounds in the Orch 2 card but I don't know if they are better than the 1 card till I've had a chance to really a/b test them and see. This video highlights some really nice sounds in the Orch 2 card.. hoping though I can get comparable sounds from the 1.
Last edited by part12studios on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 pm

You can find waveform listings at http://www.planet-groove.com/roland/expansion.html.
http://www.synthmania.com has really good demos of the various cards as well.
Regarding the EDM cards, roughly 1/2 the waves are drum hits/oneshots, 1/4 loops, and 1/4 synth/other waves.

resistanceisfutile
Gear: Virus Ti2, Ultranova, Jupiter 80, Ion, AN1x, Gaia, Minibrute, Microbrute, Mono Lancet, Radias, JD-990, Blofeld, Analog Four, Evolver, SP-404, Emax

Post by resistanceisfutile » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:36 am

Has anyone compared the Mellotron patches on the Vintage card with the Mellotron patches on the 60's/70's card?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:22 am

resistanceisfutile wrote:Has anyone compared the Mellotron patches on the Vintage card with the Mellotron patches on the 60's/70's card?
While 60s/70s has more Mellotron samples, it does not have the Strawberry Fields flute like the Vintage card.