Suggestions for best JV Expansion Cards

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
part12studios

Re: Suggestions for best JV Expansion Cards

Post by part12studios » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 pm

God damn, I wish this forum wouldn't timeout messages so quick.. i keep typing up these big messages and then lose them.. bah.. anyway..

TL;DR

too many good cards, not enough slots.. I may keep an eye out for another JV1080 to house more..

Also thanks about point out the wav list. I didn't catch that when I was in there reading about them. certainly helpful. I torn on what the 4th card should be.. vintage synth is a must keep i suspect.. voices is TBD when it arrives i'll test it out.. i really do need a good collection of house / electronic drums so one of the EDM cards will likely be my next purchase..

SO-PCM1 cards.. anyone have any experience with these? there are quite a few out there to choose from and I only have one slot there so it should be a solid choice. they have an orchestral fx one that i wonder.. perhaps there is some overlap here too? they hold less waves from what i can tell.. ideally i'd love one that has electronic drums like an EDM card because i think that's the main thing i'd want from any EDM card are the drums.. i have enough synth sounds i believe with the vintage synth for my needs.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:57 pm

part12studios wrote:SO-PCM1 cards..
If I remember correctly one or two of the early expansion cards contained all the waveforms of all SO-PCM1 cards.
The SO-PCM1 carry only 1 MB of waveforms (except SO-PCM1-07 and SO-PCM1-08 which have 2 MB) while the expansion cards have 8MB so the SO-PCM1 cards are pretty much obsolete (I would not pay more than 15 or 20 Euro for one which would still be expensive when compared to the prices of the expansion cards).

The SO-PCM1 cards where primarily made for the older pre-JV1080 synths such as the JV-80, JV-880, JV-90, JV-1000.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm

that's good to know.. i saw that they have modest lists of sounds like 80 or so.. so yea that makes sense.. and i agree they wouldn't be worth much, but given it's an empty slot, it still counts for something.

resistanceisfutile
Gear: Virus Ti2, Ultranova, Jupiter 80, Ion, AN1x, Gaia, Minibrute, Microbrute, Mono Lancet, Radias, JD-990, Blofeld, Analog Four, Evolver, SP-404, Emax

Post by resistanceisfutile » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:35 am

While 60s/70s has more Mellotron samples, it does not have the Strawberry Fields flute like the Vintage card.[/quote]
Thanks!