Unique sounds and/or synthesis

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AdamAnt316
Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Re: Unique sounds and/or synthesis

Post by AdamAnt316 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:59 pm

thefonz003 wrote:Triadex Muse---first digital sequencer; can make its own "light show" if you have the right parts (that is weird).
I own one of these rare contraptions, and the "light show" pretty much makes the thing. I don't know exactly why, but having those colored lights flashing along with the bleeps and bloops just brings it to a whole 'nother level. And no, I didn't use any recreational substances to come to that conclusion... :mrgreen:

Judge for yourself:

As for unique sounds/synthesis, I'm not quite sure what qualifies. The vacuum tube stuff has to be up there, particularly the Hammond Novachord and its little brother, the Solovox. I'd like to play around with a Hammond F-100 "Extravoice" someday; apparently a vacuum tube predecessor to the Solina string synth and its ilk.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:21 pm

The fizmo definately goes places other synths don't - and the fs1r sounds great but its hard to force the interface to shift into new territory - the DX200 is much more usable for this -

Don't really think synth manufacturers are very concerned about uniqueness - hence the development battle between the designers and the marketing dept over the Fizmo.

Smaller instruments can get bizarre easier - I'm exploring a kawai MS 710 right now which has some bizarre synth drum sounds. The Yamaha VSS200 also strecthes out into some wierd places. I think you have to dig arround the edges of synth manyfacturing to find anything really ineresting. I would be interested in what other smaller instruments users rate highly.

Also the Vestax faderboard is interesting for its interface -

The kind of searching is fun!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:49 am

AdamAnt316 wrote:
thefonz003 wrote:Triadex Muse---first digital sequencer; can make its own "light show" if you have the right parts (that is weird).
I own one of these rare contraptions, and the "light show" pretty much makes the thing. I don't know exactly why, but having those colored lights flashing along with the bleeps and bloops just brings it to a whole 'nother level. And no, I didn't use any recreational substances to come to that conclusion... :mrgreen:

Judge for yourself:

As for unique sounds/synthesis, I'm not quite sure what qualifies. The vacuum tube stuff has to be up there, particularly the Hammond Novachord and its little brother, the Solovox. I'd like to play around with a Hammond F-100 "Extravoice" someday; apparently a vacuum tube predecessor to the Solina string synth and its ilk.
I have to say, I'm really, really wanting to like the Percussa AudioCubes for their potential as a light show. It'd be cool if they could have their own oscillators too but it's still an interesting idea, and obviously has more possibilities than the Muse's light show.