should I get a prophet 6?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

should I get a prophet 6?

Post by ejlif » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm

I like what I'm seeing and hearing with this keyboard. I need another keyboard like a hole in the head but I kind of want it anyway lol. I don't have a lot of room left but I was thinking of replacing my 49 key Arturia keylab with the prophet 6. I don't care much for the feel of the keys on the keylab. It's a real hunk of junk really some keys don't even trigger if you touch very lightly some do etc...

Would the prophet 6 be ideal for use as a main controller? I would of course use it as a sound source as well. Just wondering if it would have a convenient way of being able to play other sounds from other sources and not trigger it's own sounds at the same time.

I do best with these keyboards that are a knob per function kind of thing. I have a P12, Roland V synth, Waldorf Q, Moog Voyager, Taurus and slim phatty, MS20, juno 106, Virus Ti, Elektron analog 4, basstation. I do like the true analogs the best and it seems like I would really like this, seems like it might fit in between the sound of the P12 and the Voyager maybe?

Is 2400 for a new one seem like a good deal?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: should I get a prophet 6?

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 pm

You know you want it.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 pm

I do now.

Wow, that's a great track man.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:24 am

You've already got some of the best synth action keybeds ever made in the P12, V-Synth and Virus, I'd be using them as my controllers if I were you.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:19 am

I had a P12 and loved it, what a badass board...however....I sold it for the P6. I sold my rev3.1 P5 a little over 2 years ago, along with my Voyager, loss of employment blah blah. I can honestly say the P6 makes me forget about the P5, it is the most amazing board I've ever owned. simply put.

I will say I thought I'd never get back to lovely unison the voyager and the p5 had, but having the P6 and now a Sub37, it is like long lost friends lol

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:52 pm

I finally got a chance to put my hands on a Prophet 6 recently. It was only for a few minutes, running mono through a crappy Roland keyboard amp.

My very first impressions were: 'This thing is smaller than I thought; cool' and 'meh, this thing sounds kinda stiff and modern.' Then I started playing with the two filters and stumbled into SORT OF Yamaha CS territory. Now THAT peaked my interest. But then I had to leave.

Definitely not the creamy fizz I'm used to hearing in the P5/P600. Or the pure magic of the CS50. But I'm a sucker for those details.

The layout was nice. Knob per function is always best. Keys felt nice and I didn't feel short changed by the 4 octave spread.

I want to sit down with it again, at least in headphones or better yet, in front of some nearfields.

But yeah, anyways, Stab had the best advice! You've got awesome keyboards to use as controllers without spending a dime!

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:18 am

I just got one myself and love it. I was originally on the market for the Prophet 10 but settled for the Prophet 6 and I've been recreating a lot of John Carpenter patches on it. It's my main synth for leads while my Sub 37 is more for sequencing. There are a few gripes about it (mostly involving the sequencer) but it's a fantastic synth. I'd take it over the overrated OB6 any day.

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:02 am

LoboLives wrote:I just got one myself and love it. I was originally on the market for the Prophet 10 but settled for the Prophet 6 and I've been recreating a lot of John Carpenter patches on it. It's my main synth for leads while my Sub 37 is more for sequencing. There are a few gripes about it (mostly involving the sequencer) but it's a fantastic synth. I'd take it over the overrated OB6 any day.
Oh cool, I'd definitely like to hear a demo of those Carpenter patches!

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:14 am

forcedopinion wrote:
LoboLives wrote:I just got one myself and love it. I was originally on the market for the Prophet 10 but settled for the Prophet 6 and I've been recreating a lot of John Carpenter patches on it. It's my main synth for leads while my Sub 37 is more for sequencing. There are a few gripes about it (mostly involving the sequencer) but it's a fantastic synth. I'd take it over the overrated OB6 any day.
Oh cool, I'd definitely like to hear a demo of those Carpenter patches!
I'll post some very soon. Just finished the Halloween iii brass and The Fog Pipe Organ (Which is probably my favorite sound). Trying to work on the Piano sound in Escape From New York and the Halloween 2 organ which is difficult since both are actually two layers of patches (Assuming they were done on the Prophet 10 and Arp Quadra simultaneously by both Alan and John respectively since there was no MIDI used until Big Trouble In Little China) and you can't layer a Prophet 6.

I suggested to DSI they should contact Alan Howarth to recreate some Carpenter patches on it. I'm sure it would be quite well received.

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 am

I agree, I think DSI should contact Howarth about creating some patches. That's a great idea.

Also, I think the piano sound you're referring to is actually a piano. I think Micke confirmed it in the soundtrack or Carpenter threads. Anyhow, good luck!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:28 pm

I got a ob6 here for testing....at first I wasn't really into it but after a few hours of tweaking I really got into it.

I wouldn't consider it overrated.....?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am

Perhaps, have played with a p6 but not an ob6, the OB-6 sounds a bit nicer (at first) but the P6 is more of a synth (more versatile). The OB6, at least on paper, is a bit lacking without a steeper filter and seems tailor made to do sweeps and pads, while P6 can have a stab at almost anything. I think I'd get a bit bored with an OB-6 for how much it costs, as nice as it may sound in certain roles.

Just wish either of them didn't have the DSI sound and were a bit more lively/warm.