Dave Smith price drops

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Dave Smith price drops

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:49 am

I got an email from JRR Shop advertising price drops on some DSI synths: Prophet 08 keys and module, Pro 12 desktop 8-) Evolver, Tetra and all flavors of Mopho.

I checked online and saw American Musical Supply and Sweetwater show price drops but not as far as JRR Shop.

JRR's email said it was a limited time, the other dealers did not.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Re: Dave Smith price drops

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 am

There are some good deals here, to be sure. =D>

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I got an email from JRR Shop advertising price drops on some DSI synths: Prophet 08 keys and module, Pro 12 desktop 8-) Evolver, Tetra and all flavors of Mopho.

I checked online and saw American Musical Supply and Sweetwater show price drops but not as far as JRR Shop.

JRR's email said it was a limited time, the other dealers did not.
I hope they're permanent... would love to pick up a 12 module at some point!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Damn!! That's way lower.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 am

Just saw they're retiring five synths, hopefully there's a new pro6 based mono on the way.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/201 ... -retiring/

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:05 pm

I'll be sad to see the Evolver go. I have long thought of it as the most important synth to come out this century (so far). People take for granted all the things DSI pioneered that have become commonplace in other synths.

I'm a bit surprised they are dropping so many synths at the same time, it wipes out their presence in the sub $1000 market. Maybe they are getting out of that space altogether?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I noticed the price of the Prophet 12 desktop dropped drastically at Tom Lee up here in Canada, recently. Makes sense.

All these DSI posts make me a bit sad that I traded my Poly Evolver Keys away recently. But it was an offer I couldnt refuse. But still it sounded fabulous. Not sure whats in it but it sounded way warmer and nicer than any desktop Evolver I ever owned. Not as nice as my Pro 2 which I will never sell but still very warm and fuzzy.

I think they are just going for a more expensive market now, the budget analog market that they helped create is flooded now.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Damn, Evolver had a really good run! 11 years! I'm sure they have a new Pro1 coming.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 pm

A Pro One updated like the Prophet 6 would probably be a huge seller if they could bring it in cheap enough.

Still happy with my Evolver ;)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Just saw they're retiring five synths, hopefully there's a new pro6 based mono on the way.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/201 ... -retiring/
Would like to add, in case anyone was wondering, that on twitter DSI specified the mopho X4 is not being discontinued.

Yep, budget synths are flooded. Also a lot is moving toward eurorack, and things having lots of patch points like Mother-32. Eurorack is still the wild wild west, Dave Smith needs to get together with some the other euro company heads and sort this out like what was done with the MIDI spec in the 80s.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:54 pm

CV/gate is never going to be amenable to specs.

Not only do you have to worry about the voltages, but input and output impedances, current drive, etc. It would be nice to have an actual tuning standard (what note does 0V represent) and VCO scaling requirements so they will stay reliably in tune for multiple octaves.

This stuff is one big reason I got out of modular a few years ago :?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:58 pm

0V represents the note that your course tuning pot is pointing at. :thumbright:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 am

...and you only need the right VCOs to get tracking over 8 octaves :mrgreen:

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 am

hope to see an exciting newer range of synths coming up..

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I'll be sad to see the Evolver go. I have long thought of it as the most important synth to come out this century (so far). People take for granted all the things DSI pioneered that have become commonplace in other synths.
I don't know if it's the most important synth of the century, but I do agree with you that is a very deep and impressive and astounding and innovative synth, expecially for people like me who really enjoys editing and experimenting with sounds that bring me in "uncharted" territories...

Just to tell you how much I was impressed ;) : some weeks ago I was in a shop in Milan testing a Waldorf Pulse 2, I had the intention to purchase it (I wrote a post here asking for some advices and again thank you for all the very very useful advices), and actually I was going to purchase it, then at the very last I noticed a blue box, it was a Mono Evolver module, and I asked to test it mainly because I remembered that it has the Prophet VS waveforms and I was curious to listen to them, and wow!!!!! an atomic bomb exploded in my head, to make my story short ;) , I decided to purchase the Mono Evolver instead of the Pulse 2 and I am totally in love with it, really an exciting sonical journey for me :keys1: