Novation Supernova 1 vs 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Novation Supernova 1 vs 2

Postby Rokk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 am

Hi everyone!
So, the Novation Supernova / Nova range has been out there for some 15 years. I used to have the Nova desktop module and Nova XL keyboard. Just now I'm listening to an album I produced 8 years ago using a lot of the Nova XL.
Somehow it strikes me how good these synths sound. I was always pleased with their workhorse ability, but was never quite sure if they can really compete with real analog. I started my synth journey with mostly Roland DCO analogs JX8P and Alpha Juno. Then one day I had a chance to buy a JX8p again, brought it home just for a test ride and to see if it is worth buying it and if it really has anything more than the Nova. I always felt the JX8p was the best analog string/pad mahine with huuuuge pads. Now being used to the Nova I expected JX8p to beat the Nova easily. I couldn't be more wrong. The Nova was superior in every respect. I have no problem saying it sounded more analog than the JX8p, which would be a blasphemy for some, but there you go :)
So, yeah, I'm pretty much fired-up for buying a Supernova / Nova again, but I want to read some opinions regarding the differences between Supernova 1 / Nova and Supernova 2 / Nova keyboard. I know the 2nd generation uses "better" converters and I must say that I found the older Nova desktop to sound rounder and warmer than the newer Nova keyboard which is the same as SN2. Also is seems that the 1st generation is not as sensitive regarding gain staging and doesn't clip as easily as the 2nd generation. Did anyone else noticed this?
Your thoughts?

Thanx!
Rokk

Re: Novation Supernova 1 vs 2

Postby Broadwave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 am

I can only add that I had the Nova desktop for quite a while, it certainly had it's uses, but overall I found the sound to be slightly "plasticky" and very digital. I've just bought an Ultranova and I can honestly say that, IMHO, it's much better - the oscillators seem to have far more grunt to them and better sounding filters - But sadly, not multitimbral :roll:
Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MX49, Ultranova, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, and some guitars

Re: Novation Supernova 1 vs 2

Postby Rokk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 am

Broadwave wrote:I can only add that I had the Nova desktop for quite a while, it certainly had it's uses, but overall I found the sound to be slightly "plasticky" and very digital. I've just bought an Ultranova and I can honestly say that, IMHO, it's much better - the oscillators seem to have far more grunt to them and better sounding filters - But sadly, not multitimbral :roll:

I agree it sounds "plasticky" similar to most of Roland synths post 1983 and also quite digital if you don't get to know it and tweak it. The presets were mostly quite horrible for my taste. But I made some gorgeous sounds with it. What did bother me is that it had this monaural quality to it and the low-mids were a bit exaggerated and I always had to cut a lot there in order for it to fit in a mix. It packs some serious punch and it was the best synth I ever had for basses. Very tight.
Rokk

Return to General Synthesizers