LF something similar to POLYSIX SOUND

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

LF something similar to POLYSIX SOUND

Post by derma_tek » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I really love the KORG POLYSIX sound, but don't really want to drop a $1000 and potentially have to add midi via a kit.

so I was wondering if you guys might have any suggestions for something else that may sound similar not require a mod for midi. [not really interested in the legacy collection software either]

thanks in advance.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: LF something similar to POLYSIX SOUND

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:21 pm

This wikipedia page lists synths that use the same SSM2044 filter chip as Polysix:

Kawai K3 & K3m, SX-210, SX-240

Octave Plateau Voyetra Eight

PPG Wave 2.2 / 2.3

Siel DK600, Opera 6, Kiwi

Of the above, the Kawai K3 is probably the cheapest in the used market today.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

stickman393

Post by stickman393 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 am

Is the Korg Legacy VST not a viable option here? In my experience, it sounds very close to the original.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:52 am

stickman393 wrote:Is the Korg Legacy VST not a viable option here? In my experience, it sounds very close to the original.
derma_tek wrote:not really interested in the legacy collection software

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:15 am

The K3 sounds nothing like a Polysix. Not even close.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:14 pm

There are no substitutes for a polysix. The Mono/Poly and Trident have similar filter design but also fetches prices above $1000. And what about the Polysix effects section, I don't think anything has that triple-BBD w/ ensemble and phaser.

So to have midi and be affordable. The only other option would be the successor Poly-61M with no effects, much fewer knobs, and a filter that doesn't sound like the Polysix. The good news is it has two oscillators, the filter and oscillators sound quite good in its own right as a very capable and underrated synth for a good price. Just know, like the polysix, the Poly-61M suffers leaky battery corrosion and connector problems if not resolved swiftly.

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Post by derma_tek » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:06 pm

sounds like I should just go for the REAL DEAL.

thanks for the feedback guys :)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:12 pm

It is possible to acquire one in project condition, replace the CPU board with either a clone or Kiwisix, and still make out under $1000. Gotta watch out for failing key contacts, bad connectors, and power supply issues.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:42 am

How about the Akai AX-60/80?

I thought they were nice-sounding in that P6 sort of way but my memory may fail me... it has been twenty years since I last tried an AX-80.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:26 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:How about the Akai AX-60/80? I thought they were nice-sounding in that P6 sort of way but my memory may fail me... it has been twenty years since I last tried an AX-80. Stephen
I used to own both AX-60/80.

The CEM3372 lives in the AX-80, same chip as the Matrix-12 and Xpander. And the AX-80 can sound like them with a limited degree due to limited modulation. But strangely the AX-80 also has some superficial similarities to a Juno IMHO.

The AX-60 has a harsh character to me, that sets it apart from other synths. It can make good unison basses and sound effects, has a built-in chorus, but feel the similarity to a Polysix is just in that fat stacked unison mode.

Korg DW-6000, DW-8000, and EX-8000 are worth mentioning. These are not the Polysix, but are synths with nice analog filters, and are available well under $1000.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:21 pm

garranimal wrote: [...] Korg DW-6000, DW-8000, and EX-8000 are worth mentioning. These are not the Polysix, but are synths with nice analog filters, and are available well under $1000.
And they are a lot more "bang for the bucks", if I may say so.

I think the Polysix is hopelessly overrated and overpriced -- for a long time, this used to be one of the few early polyphonics that were still affordable (Junos were more popular), that's why everybody jumped the P6 hype.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:I think the Polysix is hopelessly overrated and overpriced -- for a long time, this used to be one of the few early polyphonics that were still affordable (Junos were more popular), that's why everybody jumped the P6 hype.
I agree. I remember around 2000-2002 being able to acquire Polysixes around $300 fully working. They're dead simple: one oscillator SAW/PULSE/PWM, basic arpeggiator, one LFO with no shapes, Pos/Neg EG, no portamento, and no stock MIDI. The filter is good but not something people rave about like Minimoog or something. And like the Juno-106 suffers from known, debilitating, issues from aging that cost a lot of money to repair/upgrade.

However that Polysix effects section gets me every time, I'm a sucker for BBD-ensemble effects. I still get excited because it is littered with knobs and buttons with lites in them, which makes it immensely fun for tweaking. Worth the hype and money?... probably not, but still a lot of fun if you can get one in working condition.