Page 2 of 2

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:46 pm
by madtheory
Review in this month's SOS by Gordon Reid. He puts the P6 up against a Rev 1 P5 and... it comes out winning! Well worth a read, the guy makes an excellent evidence based case.

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:02 pm
by CfNorENa
Synthmatic wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:Can't be racked. I find that dumbfounding. That'll be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

It looks like it might fit if the walnut end pieces are removed.
Confirmed on gearslutz by a DSI employee that it cannot be racked, even after removing the walnut end caps. He said there just wasn't enough real estate on a 19" panel to get in all the knobs...

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 am
by fh991586
I can't believe they didn't seriously consider this thing... Why not then make it one rack unit higher? That would have left cosy space inside.
Keyboard version isn't 61 keys, and the module isn't compatible with rack standards: who are they kidding with such engineering? :cry:

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:48 am
by Aaron2
phesago wrote:just preordered form sweet water because they have a 36 month financing thing going on if you have the sweetwater card. 60 bucks a month, plus whatever i throw at it to try and pay it off quicker? DEAL 8-)
Did you call them, because I don't see the item on their site? Also, what's the street price?

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm
by phesago
Aaron2 wrote:
phesago wrote:just preordered form sweet water because they have a 36 month financing thing going on if you have the sweetwater card. 60 bucks a month, plus whatever i throw at it to try and pay it off quicker? DEAL 8-)
Did you call them, because I don't see the item on their site? Also, what's the street price?
I did- but i saw the item in the email of qualifying brands for the 36 month thing. Also its listed under "sequential" not "dave smith".

2199 was the price. Steep but the payment plan makes it killer for me. Ships in december im told

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm
by meatballfulton
fh991586 wrote:Keyboard version isn't 61 keys, and the module isn't compatible with rack standards: who are they kidding with such engineering? :cry:
C'mon desktops are where it's at today, bro....and it should have come with minikeys, too :lol:

It's telling to me that it doesn't have the DSI name. It's like Dave's given up trying to convince people that his new stuff really is better :truce:

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 pm
by phesago
meatballfulton wrote:
fh991586 wrote: It's telling to me that it doesn't have the DSI name. It's like Dave's given up trying to convince people that his new stuff really is better :truce:

:lol:

To be fair the mopho is still a pretty underrated synth though. Like if you wanted analog on the cheapsies that desktop unit is the best option. The rest of his stuff is meh for the price though

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 am
by Stab Frenzy
meatballfulton wrote:
fh991586 wrote:Keyboard version isn't 61 keys, and the module isn't compatible with rack standards: who are they kidding with such engineering? :cry:
C'mon desktops are where it's at today, bro....and it should have come with minikeys, too :lol:

It's telling to me that it doesn't have the DSI name. It's like Dave's given up trying to convince people that his new stuff really is better :truce:
Well he's still using the DSI name for the forward-looking stuff, the Pro-2, Pro 12, Tempest etc. Putting Sequential on the backward-looking stuff makes a whole lot of sense to me, differentiates even more between the two lines that have sprung out of the original Evolver. It's funny how the Evolver was originally this super-futuristic synth, I remember when it came out they were selling it on the back of the delay lines, the digital oscillators and the dirty digital distortion, the fact that it was stereo as well as the analogue filters, but then people just wanted the boring vanilla analogue stuff so the Mophos and Pro 8 were born. Might as well spin all that off into the Sequential brand and make it all woodgrain and 70s looking and keep the DSI stuff the future. The people who will buy Sequential aren't interested in whether the new stuff is better or not, they want a Prophet 5 for less that comes with a warranty.

I really like what they've done now with the digital oscillators in the second generation DSI stuff, if I was looking for a poly (apart from building my own) the Prophet 12 would be the one for me. I was always drawn to the way the Evolvers put together the best of digital with the best of analogue (well maybe not quite, analogue pre-filter mix stage would have been appreciated, and the DCOs weren't that exciting) but the second gen instruments seem to be improving on that and letting the less-useful stuff like the DCOs fall by the wayside.

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:48 pm
by tomorrowstops
Forget about the gear, let's actually create music of the future. :idea:

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:24 pm
by pflosi
Ok, you start ;) :thumbright:

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:10 pm
by Ashe37
I have to admit, i really really like the Prophet 6. It does sound great.

But...

I like the prophet 12 too...

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 pm
by tomorrowstops
pflosi wrote:Ok, you start ;) :thumbright:
Who, me? Nahhhhhh. That sounds like a bunch of work. I just wanna tweak knobs, man :ugeek:

The Prophet 6 sounds nice, and I'm sure the module will be popular.

But Stab's point is well taken. We've been awash in products aimed at recreating the past. Obviously because the majority demands it. I love vintage analog synths, but I've yet to be totally won over by any of this new retro stuff. I would definitely rather see more creatively designed synths like the Evolver and P12 come to market than yet another attempt at pleasing the [often misguided] mass audience.

Re: Prophet-6 Module Announced!

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:25 pm
by meatballfulton
tomorrowstops wrote:Forget about the gear, let's actually create music of the future.
Well, we don't know what the music of the future will be really, except it will probably be a lot like the music of the past because people always complain about how much better the music of their youth was and want to bring it back.

Except faster and more distorted because everyone will be doing meth :dancer: