Looking for used (maybe vintage) line mixer recommendations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Looking for used (maybe vintage) line mixer recommendati

Post by madtheory » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:38 am

amv wrote:On a related topic, does anyone have any recommendations for speakers?
What's your budget? IMO Mackie's are about the best under $1000. They have some budget models. Most others are too coloured (Yamaha, Behringer), or prone to failure IME (like the KRK Rokits).

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:53 am

madtheory wrote:O gawd stay away from TOA. Hissssssssss city.
That may be true in general but the D3 I have is super quiet...considering how much they crammed in a 1U rack.

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:35 pm

I always thought the TOA speakers were good-sounding and solidly built, but yeah, the keyboard amp I remember playing through back in high school was hiss city central.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 pm

For speakers, I have been quite satisfied with M-Audio BX5 (mine I think are the second gen version) which can be found for about $200 a pair. The best thing about them is the low end is not at all hyped so you can actually hear what is going on down there. They've been 100% reliable over the 5+ years I've had them.

Stick with smaller woofers 5" or smaller if you're volume challenged.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Virgule wrote:
madtheory wrote:O gawd stay away from TOA. Hissssssssss city.
That may be true in general but the D3 I have is super quiet...considering how much they crammed in a 1U rack.
I can also vouch for the TOA D3: I'D buy another one if I could find one!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:43 pm

We have a lot of Mark 1 BX5. The difference is the power supplies fail, fixed in mark 2 I assume. Definitely not as neutral as the Mackie's. TBH you need to spend more than €200 if you want mixes to translate without lots of frustrating back and forth testing. Very little practical difference between brands at that price. If you don't want that but do want nice sound, then IMO the Behringers are the best. You won't tire of those, even though they're far from the "truth" ironically. Everything sounds good on them.

amv

Post by amv » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Good guess everyone, I went with a pair of BX5's. I don't really need accuracy in the strictest sense, since these are really just so I can hear something at all. I won't be doing anything resembling mixing or mastering with these speakers alone. And I found a pair on eBay so cheap it would have been crazy not to.

Right now my "studio" is nowhere near properly arranged for accurate listening anyway, so I won't be investing in higher grade monitors until that's been addressed.

Thanks again, everyone.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 pm

I have a Yamaha KM-802 laying around...

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:00 am

I remember the old Roland M-series rack mixers being really noisy (maybe this was an isolated incident).

I very strongly recommend the Mackie LM-3204. Not the cheapest thing out there, but it has 16 stereo inputs, four sends, two standalone mic pres (in the sense that they're not hardwired to any of the inputs), and independent master, control room, and headphone outs. If you have lots of stuff, you'll never run out of inputs (and if you do, you can daisy chain an expander which is basically another LM-3204 minus the master section).

Other than the pricey Speck XtraMix, it's the most inputs in the smallest real estate you'll find. And they're quiet.

BTW, I've had a Yamaha MV-802 for years. It's only eight mono inputs in two rack spaces, and weighs a ton (obviously only an issue if you're gigging with it, which I did).
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:39 pm

I can also vouch for the Mackie LM-3204. But it's a big box: 5U high, and full depth. Only control drawback is the lack of volume fader for each channel [only gain input knob], compared to CR-1604 type mixers...

But IMHO, such a beast can not be called a line mixer!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho