Question about Waldorf Blofeld

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Question about Waldorf Blofeld

Postby IstvanMedgyesi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm about to recieve a Waldorf Blofeld desktop version and wanto to use my Akai MPK261 as a MIDI controller. I've seen packages with the Blofeld that include a Keith McMillen MIDI expander. Is this necessary to use an external controller with this synth? Any feedback from anyone using a similar setup? Thanks!
IstvanMedgyesi

Gear: Sub 37, H9's, Montreal Assembly CT5, KP3, Moog MF-104, Octatrack, Blofeld, Mother 32's, Electribe Sampler
Band: Istvan Medgyesi

Re: Question about Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Psy_Free » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:50 pm

IstvanMedgyesi wrote:I'm about to recieve a Waldorf Blofeld desktop version and wanto to use my Akai MPK261 as a MIDI controller. I've seen packages with the Blofeld that include a Keith McMillen MIDI expander. Is this necessary to use an external controller with this synth? Any feedback from anyone using a similar setup? Thanks!

Nope. Just plug the MIDI-out of your Akai into the MIDI-In of the Blofeld & play.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Postby IstvanMedgyesi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Cool thanks! Any chance I can set up the MPK to control Blofeld's parameters?
IstvanMedgyesi

Gear: Sub 37, H9's, Montreal Assembly CT5, KP3, Moog MF-104, Octatrack, Blofeld, Mother 32's, Electribe Sampler

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Despite having only a few knobs, you can program the Blofeld easily by itself.

Read the Blofeld manual for information on MIDI CC assignments if you are thinking about real time control.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Rick N Boogie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:50 pm

+1 Blofeld's mod-matrix is a snap to program, very intuitive.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby IstvanMedgyesi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Awesome, after reading some forums, it seemed that some thought it wasn't made for live tweaking. Now taking the question off of the Blofeld directly, I'm also going to be running a Moog Mother 32 (or 2 eventually) and a Moog Minitaur, would I be able to use the single keyboard to control all three (perhaps not simultaniously), with a MIDI processor or interface? Man, this s**t can be overwhelming (in a very good way) to a newbie haha, your help is very much appreciated
IstvanMedgyesi

Postby haj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 pm

I wish Blofeld's knobs normally act as macro knobs like of microKorg. The synth can do so crazy complex modulation in real time then!
haj

Return to General Synthesizers