Ensoniq SD1/VFXSD floppy drive emulator replacement

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
UnbalancedKarma
Gear: Ensoniq: SD-1/32
Kawai: K1m, K3, K4r, K5
Oberheim: DPX-1, OB-12
Quasimidi: Raven Max, Sirius
Siel: Mono
Band: Unbalanced Karma

Ensoniq SD1/VFXSD floppy drive emulator replacement

Post by UnbalancedKarma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi, I own an SD1/32 and I'd like to replace the floppy drive with an USB floppy emulator.
Of course, I want to do it as cheap as possible, I can't justify spending more than what I paid for the synth itself.
Now, since the original drive uses DSDD, I think the SFRM72-TU100K USB driver emulator could/should work; anyway I can see problems with the ensoniq proprietary format, when reading the usb in the pc side...

is anyone interested in this?

Fabio

edit: there are also models SFRM72-FU, SFRM72-FU-EG, SFRM72-FU-DL... now I'm a bit more confused, even in the hardware side...
balancing Karma with Music.

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Re: Ensoniq SD1/VFXSD floppy drive emulator replacement

Post by greggybud » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 am

Have you contacted Sam?

I think he could give you an answer.

https://syntaur.com/ensoniq.html

Baus

Post by Baus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 am

Hi there,

A friend of mine is currently looking into installing the Gotek floppy Emulator in his samplers (Emu and Ensoniq).

I think he successfully did it for his Ensoniq Mirage and so it should work with the other units as well.

I think on the PC side there won't be a problem. With Omniflop you can read your Ensoniq disks and save them as
images to your HD. I have no experience with it myself but I know that it should be no problem at all to get your files to the USB stick and into your synths.

I don't want to draw away attention from this forum. It's great, and my friend is in the FB Ensoniq Users Group and sharing his insights there and ask more questions if needed.

Best wishes,

Robin
The Netherlands

UnbalancedKarma
Gear: Ensoniq: SD-1/32
Kawai: K1m, K3, K4r, K5
Oberheim: DPX-1, OB-12
Quasimidi: Raven Max, Sirius
Siel: Mono
Band: Unbalanced Karma

Post by UnbalancedKarma » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Baus wrote:Hi there,

A friend of mine is currently looking into installing the Gotek floppy Emulator in his samplers (Emu and Ensoniq).

I think he successfully did it for his Ensoniq Mirage and so it should work with the other units as well.

I think on the PC side there won't be a problem. With Omniflop you can read your Ensoniq disks and save them as
images to your HD. I have no experience with it myself but I know that it should be no problem at all to get your files to the USB stick and into your synths.

I don't want to draw away attention from this forum. It's great, and my friend is in the FB Ensoniq Users Group and sharing his insights there and ask more questions if needed.

Best wishes,

Robin
The Netherlands
hi Robin,

thanks a lot for the reply and the helpful infos!

I actually also have an Oberheim DPX-1 (reads Emulator II, Mirage, Prophet 2000 and S-900 samples), and I'd like to replace that 3,5" floppy drive too!!! I think the right model is the SFRM72-FU-DL, that supports non-FAT disk format...

F.
balancing Karma with Music.